Hello - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rgb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

Hello

New owner of a new to me fjr. Been riding since the '70s but have been more attracted to older bikes that act like older bikes. Or, the other extreme, things that go fast in the 1/4 mile or standing mile. Rode an acquaintances fjr and decided I wanted one.

Plan for this is to not change much and burn miles and see stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb View Post
New owner of a new to me fjr. Been riding since the '70s but have been more attracted to older bikes that act like older bikes. Or, the other extreme, things that go fast in the 1/4 mile or standing mile. Rode an acquaintances fjr and decided I wanted one.
Welcome! I have a Gen I, which has a more aggressive final ratio than the later generations. I have wheelied without planning to, just by twisting the throttle hard. My Z1 and KZ1100 never did that. Mine is rated for 0-60 in 3 seconds, 0-100 in 7. I bet it will be sufficiently quick for your taste. If you want insane pull at higher speeds, your only sport/touring choice is the H2 SX.
Quote:
Plan for this is to not change much and burn miles and see stuff.
Ride it for a while. Most people will change something - risers, windshield, seat, .... With them being around for almost 20 years, there is a relatively solid eco-system of after-market accessories.
What year did you get?

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
If you want insane pull at higher speeds, your only sport/touring choice is the H2 SX.

What year did you get?

I have a '72 H2 750. (and I, as well as my friends that have ridden it are still alive) I had a friend buy an '18 H2 and I would love to have it but I probably shouldn't.

I bought a 2015. I wanted a G3 because of the cruise. Not sure why but that was what was in my mind at the time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
I bought a 2015. I wanted a G3 because of the cruise. Not sure why but that was what was in my mind at the time.
Well, if you want to do miles, you want to have cruise control for the non-twisty parts. I just started installing one, myself. Everyone I know says they are a game changer for longer rides.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Oh, yes!

When I was shopping for a post-retirement bike, CC was a must have.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
@rgb
Welcome to the party.

As Ludwig61 and JohnC stated, cruise control is a key feature for straight slab riding.

Bought a Gold Wing just so both my wife and I would "tour" in comfort with CC, the sofa saddles, drink holders and music.

But have been tempted to have my local shop install a McCruise CC system:

https://www.mccruise.com/collections...iant=248357156

Again rgb - Just ride it!

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

A friend let me ride his 'wing for a while in an effort to pull me into the family. It was nice, really nice. Fast too. I just couldn't convince myself I needed something that big. My workshop is full of '60s and '70s BSAs, Triumphs and Harleys with a smattering of unique metric bikes for fun. Since I was young I bought but rarely sold. And those I did, I wish I hadn't.

That's how I got the fjr.... I had a busa for sale. (another story). The kid that came to buy it rode up on a matte blue fjr. He liked my busa and had the cash but wanted to ride it first. I said sure. He looked around the shop and said "If you want to keep me in sight, you might want to ride mine".

That thing was quiet, it was smooth, really tall, had cruise, and fast. Well not busa fast but thrice old iron fast. He wouldn't sell it but he did buy the busa. A few weeks later I found the '15 and it has been enjoyable. It has a Sargent seat and some mounting hardware around the bars but otherwise stock. Other than horns and making it fit, I think it will be around for a while.

And the cruise.... It is good on the slab but even better in those backroads towns with a 30 mph speed limit. Thanks for the welcomes guys!
wheaton likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page