Hello from West Tennessee. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hello from West Tennessee.

Hello to everyone. A Harley rider for years but have always wanted a BMW. After having bad luck with a few Harleys. (imagine that) I researched the BMW. I was on a BMW forum of course. Everyone loved their BMW even though some had problems. BMW either couldnt find the problem or refused to fix their bike. For a minute there I thought I was on a Harley forum. LOL. Not knocking BMW's I think they are great bikes. While on the BMW forum a guy wrote in that he liked his FJR. Well, what is a FJR I said. I started researching for days. No where did I find anyone say anything negative about the FJR. Never did I find where anyone was having any major problems or small problems for that sake. Thats when I started looking. I now own a 2014 (avatar). I told my wife id ride it for a while so I can decide what bike I wanted to keep. Who needs two bikes. I rode the FJR for a month. This thing is awesome. In every way. Just got my Russel day long seat. Need to get a few miles on it. Well the decision of which bike to keep. Drum roll................Both. I cant help it. I love them both. They are two totally different machines and can not be compared. If I want to cruse around and listen to the radio Ill get the Harley. If im by myself and want to feel young again. (im 64) I get on the FJR and smile all the way. Thanks to all the guys that are full of wisdom and information. I come here every time I have a question. I got the Heli Bars to move the handle bars back. The Russell day long seat and just ordered a Pirelli Angel GT tire for the front. Let go riding.
Bill Lumberg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welcome. I don't think any bike is totally without an issue or two, but the Japanese bikes are pretty hard to beat. Enjoy!

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:16 PM
FVN
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Hi Jack and welcome from Alabama! I am also a new FJR rider and very pleased. I typically have ridden muscle cruisers (Vmax, Rocket3) and have to say that I am sold on the FJR's ability to put a smile on your face and a much more refined ride to boot. I wanted something with less weight that performs well, has a high 2 up comfort rating and easy to maintain. It is a very nice fit. I guess getting older doesn't mean that you have to settle for mediocre. I have been learning quite a bit from all these great forum members and glad to be a part of it. Hoping that I can contribute more as I gain some experience and history with the FJR.
Chris
H20man likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome to the playpen from GA.

I have a '14 and I am very pleased with the bike. Just returned from a trip to the Ga mountain and can't get the smile off my face.

2014 FJR1300A
1990 Honda Pacific Coast (traded 2017)
1982 Honda CX500 (sold before children)
1972 Honda CB500 (rode to CA twice)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Howdy from East Tennessee You will love the FJR, especially the feeling young part. Speaking of which....you are pretty close to the Arkansas FJR hoons stomping grounds. C'mon and join a few of us in October if you don't mind "rustic" hotels, absolutely no planning, cheap booze and phenomenal riding.

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof

Last edited by boofer; 08-23-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVN View Post
Hi Jack and welcome from Alabama! I am also a new FJR rider and very pleased. I typically have ridden muscle cruisers (Vmax, Rocket3) and have to say that I am sold on the FJR's ability to put a smile on your face and a much more refined ride to boot. I wanted something with less weight that performs well, has a high 2 up comfort rating and easy to maintain. It is a very nice fit. I guess getting older doesn't mean that you have to settle for mediocre. I have been learning quite a bit from all these great forum members and glad to be a part of it. Hoping that I can contribute more as I gain some experience and history with the FJR.
Chris
^^^What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgoldin View Post
Welcome to the playpen from GA.

I have a '14 and I am very pleased with the bike. Just returned from a trip to the Ga mountain and can't get the smile off my face.
2014 as well and just as pleased, miles of smiles!!

Welcome to the forum!

2014 FJR1300 Metallic Red
2005 Goldwing- sold
2003 Goldwing- sold
2005 Shadow- sold
2006 Burgman 650- sold
1998 ST1100-Sold
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwhite184 View Post
Hello to everyone. A Harley rider for years but have always wanted a BMW. After having bad luck with a few Harleys. (imagine that) I researched the BMW. I was on a BMW forum of course. Everyone loved their BMW even though some had problems. BMW either couldnt find the problem or refused to fix their bike. For a minute there I thought I was on a Harley forum. LOL. Not knocking BMW's I think they are great bikes. While on the BMW forum a guy wrote in that he liked his FJR. Well, what is a FJR I said. I started researching for days. No where did I find anyone say anything negative about the FJR. Never did I find where anyone was having any major problems or small problems for that sake. Thats when I started looking. I now own a 2014 (avatar). I told my wife id ride it for a while so I can decide what bike I wanted to keep. Who needs two bikes. I rode the FJR for a month. This thing is awesome. In every way. Just got my Russel day long seat. Need to get a few miles on it. Well the decision of which bike to keep. Drum roll................Both. I cant help it. I love them both. They are two totally different machines and can not be compared. If I want to cruse around and listen to the radio Ill get the Harley. If im by myself and want to feel young again. (im 64) I get on the FJR and smile all the way. Thanks to all the guys that are full of wisdom and information. I come here every time I have a question. I got the Heli Bars to move the handle bars back. The Russell day long seat and just ordered a Pirelli Angel GT tire for the front. Let go riding.

I'm basically in the same place but the other bike hangs around because nobody is interested in buying it.

I'm finding that riding two bikes is not a good idea. There is no "muscle memory" - i.e. my quick reactions on both bikes are (much) less than they could be.

Not a good situation. Season is almost over. Maybe a solution will appear next tear.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, jack white,

I have the 2014 (the very fastest color) a from he11, initially,,, on the 4th clutch, head bearings changed, broken subframe & abs switch’s and relays. But I love my fjr, fantastic bike ! I also have a lot of antiques (14) that I ride, my favorites are my 76 Goldwing that I bought new which was also a total pos for the first 20yrs until I figured out that the flywheel timing marks were mismarked and now runs great. I also regularly ride my 81bcbx which pairs up similarly to the fjr just different . Variety is the spice of life in my opinion

If you go with a top box make sure you add the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack or the givi sr357 or similar Shad tube rack to protect your subframe,, if you go that route.

I will add that some of the collection is being sold off as it basically just sits which is not good for them but the fjr is the go-to bike and gets the most miles. Your choices of the Russel day long , and the heli-bars will make your fjr much more enjoyable. Have fun & enjoy.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-24-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Passx I do agree with you. I dont think its really a good thing to have two bikes that are so different. I think when you must make a quick decision it should come natural. Im afraid if and when that time comes i might not make the right one.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Passx. I meant that reply to go to blue Gen 2 Sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page