Front brake lines - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By red

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Front brake lines

Hi folk! New to the forum. I’m in the process of getting ready to replace my brake lines and wanted so pointers. My manual is kinda vague on which panels to remove on the front fairings. It’s a 2008 with ABS. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For replacing just the front brake lines the only piece I would remove is the front fender, just in case I dripped fluid, and the front wheel for reaching up & in. IIRC everything else hose-wise is accessible without removing anything else. It's a pretty straight forward job but getting to the small distribution block can be a pain- it's screwed to the lower fork clamp. Removing it completely makes reaching better but loosening hose fittings harder.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

OEM lines include the whole steel line setup from the ABS pump forward, and are a ton of money. Braided stainless isn't cheap either.
The hose parts can be removed from the steel lines at the right side of the steering head. Very difficult if not impossible to change the steel lines without dropping the engine as they run along the inside of the frame. When you go to loosen and separate from the steel lines, have a very good (10mm I think) flare nut wrench, they are in there and not a lot of room to work. Some penetrant ahead of time might be a good idea. DAMHIK.

HEL makes hoses, as do others that have those junction blocks on them, you should go to a local shop to get a quote. At some point, best take the old hoses in so they get the proper lengths and fittings. Galfer makes a kit that goes from front to back but again, you'll be dropping the engine to get the old ones out... no need to replace the steel lines at all.....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

I know this might sound stupid but why are you replacing the front brake lines. Are they damage or leaking, or going by the workshop manual.
My 06 fjr still has its original hoses with no problems.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Left side brake hose is seeping but barely wet. After a cleaning the seeping is still persistent. The resivor is still full and no air bubbles in site glass. It’s leaching out of the hose it wood seem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

You can get new lines off partzilla.com, don't use second hand ones.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Jimbo58,
Are you SURE it's brake fluid and not fork fluid? Just asking before you do all that work...

MA South coast rider
2006 FJR1300AE another legend of Yamaha
XS850SG (just sold this restored classic w/ 50K)
other than acid drips on electrical connectors and lousy brake lines, great shaftie of its time!
'82 Virago (not Yammies best work) sold
'78 XS 400 Special (great starter bike!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tinker View Post
Jimbo58,
Are you SURE it's brake fluid and not fork fluid? Just asking before you do all that work...
My thought too. Seepage "through" a brake line is somewhat unlikely being they have liners.... Easy to check, just pry up the dust seals and see if there's any pooling of oil at the fork seals, running down the fork and getting blown onto the brakes hoses or on the calipers. Clean up with alcohol, check again in a couple of days riding. The fork tube should always feel a little bit oily (as surface lube) but not so much as to run down the fork.
12tinker likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Front brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo58 View Post
Left side brake hose is seeping but barely wet. After a cleaning the seeping is still persistent. The resivor is still full and no air bubbles in site glass. Itís leaching out of the hose it wood seem.
Jimbo,

Clean the oily places again, and spray those places with aerosol body powder. The powder will show the source of the oil soonest, before it gets everywhere. Repeat as necessary. If the "location" is not consistent, the real source may be somewhere else, and you are only seeing where the oil droplets are hitting. Monitor your brake fluid levels using the sight glasses in the master cylinders. If they are not getting lower, the problem may be oil from a leaking fork seal. In many cases, a SealMate tool (or a DIY copy) can "fix" a leaking fork seal by removing the grit that causes the fork seal to leak.
philharmonic likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page