Final drive whine - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Final drive whine

Hi guys , I am a new member.
I owned a 1995 Diversion XJ900S for 20 years and the shaft drive was as quiet as a mouse. I now have a 2015 FJR 1300A and I am really pissed off with the whine coming from the shaft drive when cruising at 100kph on freeways. WTF has Yamaha done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

They fitted a bigger fairing and windscreen, which act like a stethoscope, so now you can hear the engine and transmission on the FJR, whereas you couldn't hear the XJ900. Fit louder aftermarket silencers and the whine will no longer be audible.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyson View Post
I owned a 1995 Diversion XJ900S for 20 years and the shaft drive was as quiet as a mouse. I now have a 2015 FJR 1300A and I am really pissed off with the whine coming from the shaft drive when cruising at 100kph on freeways. WTF has Yamaha done?
Sell the POS now b/c if the minimalist whine of the final drive bothers you I can only imagine what the roar of the front tire and snap/crackle/pop/creak of the wind shield and plastics is going to do for you.

Or you could do (or have done) a little maintenance:

- replace the final drive oil (I use Valvoline or Mobil 1 75-90, whatever's handy);
- lube the final gears (the ones you see with JUST the wheel off);
- lube the shaft splines:
- lube the front U-Joint splines.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/spline/spline.html
http://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html

Also, this thread may be helpful -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/15-...le-riding.html
Gitbox likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:55 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Oh great, now my final drive’s a whiner.
What’s next?
Where does it stop?
Can’t sleep. No appetite.
Must. Go. For. A. Ride.
Buh-bye.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It is more likely the gear whine from the transmission and balance shafts, a feature of pretty well all FJR's. I'd bet the final drive is perty quiet relatively speaking. Even a pair of earplugs of any kind will filter out a lot... everybody wears hearing protection, right?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Farkle Trainee

What ?
DGBone and FjrjrF like this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I would much rather hear that whine, rather than the one that goes with the red and blue, when they get you for breaking the speed limit because the FJR is good at what it does you dont realise the speed your doing. Lol....

Alan

2017 FJR1300 AEH (ES)
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
This is a known issue on FJRs...since 2002. It pisses me off. No matter how many FJRs I buy, I still hear that whine. When will it stop!!!!!!!
ichsnoo likes this.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:04 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Final drive whine

Quote:
Hi guys , I am a new member. I owned a 1995 Diversion XJ900S for 20 years and the shaft drive was as quiet as a mouse. I now have a 2015 FJR 1300A and I am really pissed off with the whine coming from the shaft drive when cruising at 100kph on freeways. WTF has Yamaha done?
rowdyson,

Some will say that oil is oil, and I do not wish to start a debate. I just report - Yamaha has felt it necessary to issue a special hypoid gear oil, especially for the FJR (and other) Final Drives. I can't guarantee that it will "fix" the whine, and it is pricey, but one bottle will refill the FD several times. I consider the cost as acceptable, then.

Yamaha says the oil is formulated to withstand the shearing forces that are typical of hypoid gears, and that the oil does not degrade much between scheduled changes. I have not noticed any serious whine from the FD on my 2008, but maybe I just expect some noise there, in place of chain noise.

If your FD oil is dirty or discolored, it's probably due for a change anyway. You can pull the fill/inspection plug to check, without losing any oil back there. The correct oil level should be at the base of the threads, when you pull the filler plug. The bike must sit on the center stand for at least thirty minutes, with no wheel rotation, to read the FD oil level correctly. The same applies to a FD oil change there. The wheel must not rotate during a FD oil change, or the FD will get overfilled. The excess oil will get vented onto the wheel, sometimes making the new owner think there is a leak when there is not.

The Part Number for the oil is on the label, and the dealers or the on-line shops can get it for you if needed. Prices will vary. HTH.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

Last edited by red; 08-20-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Bought a new truck in January of 2017, trade for another new truck a little over a year later because I had a rear diff howl that I know wasn't normal and the dealer said it was. I say that because noises just drive me nuts in general. That being said, you are straddeling a 145 HP inline 4 motor and transmission, fuel injection, cooling, all the good stuff to make you happy. I can certainly understand a little whine here or there. To me, in those circumstances it would have to be blatantly excessive for me to really start paying atention to it. I wonder, under those circumstances how you are sure it is the final drive?
I would do as Russ Suggested above, swap out fluids and lube necessary parts.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page