Final drive whine - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can go with the straight cut gears of the tranny and balance shafts and the middle gear... but I've never heard a noisy shaft drive with all those nice gears and heavy oil. One of us needs to ride with a stethescope and figure all this out.
Bill Lumberg and passx like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When I got my 03 I read all the FD gear oil warnings, so I bought a quart of some fancy red synthetic stuff that costs 25 dollars or so.

I MEANT to use my laser temperature reader to take "before" and "after" temperature readings from the Final Drive, since the fancy oil claimed to keep the FD cooler. But like FjrjrF I kept getting distracted by the pure joy of riding my FJR.

Since then I have used the cheapest GL5 rated dino oil I could find [supratech}, even when I put RSV Final Drive gears in my 07.

Unlike some others, I have only put 45,000 miles on my FJR so I guess the verdict is not in yet. LOL

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I love the sound. If I get into the throttle just right and change gears just right it sounds like a F1 car or shifter kart. I enjoy the sound. If there was a change to the sound I would start tearing it down or just take it to the shop to have a rebuild. The whining of my FJR is better than the Whining of people on there phones and forums. I would rather have my whine and win than not have it and not have any WIN!

Twist the grip and sing open credits to "Little Einsteins" You will never be able to ride without doing it again.
passx likes this.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaton View Post
This is a known issue on FJRs...since 2002. It pisses me off. No matter how many FJRs I buy, I still hear that whine. When will it stop!!!!!!!

When you buy a BMW. They tell me the final drive on those is pretty quiet . . . unless/until it decides to frag itself.
Bill Lumberg and passx like this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I have a 2014 GoldWing (my fifth one) as well as a 2005 FJR. The GoldWing’s whined as well until they changed the fifth gear cut. Fourth still whines and probably the others do as well. In 2016 the FJR gears were changed to different cut to quiet them down. Did it work? Maybe some of the other members know. My 2005 screams at me between about 51-60 mph. Over or under not so much noise. I am currently checking into a 2016 or newer ES to replace the Wing. I am getting older and looking for a lighter, fun to ride bike to take on my 2k to 7k trips.

Weldteach
2005 FJR1300
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I think mine sounds like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51VC-VGkGrL_1566929019053._AC_UL160_SR160 160_.jpg (5.0 KB, 9 views)

Cheers!
LoDo

"Think of it as evolution in action" -Niven

Toys:
2005 FJR1300A
1999 BMW F650 "Funduro"
Cages:
2013 Toyota Tundra
1998 Tiger GT
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Thought I might have heard it on today's ride, but I wasn't sure. More research is needed..... just going to have to ride some more, sigh
passx likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a 2018 ES with the same problem. I took it in for my 4000 mile service and I asked the service department to check it out and was told that was normal. I am really regret my purchase. I bought this bike for touring and the whine is so bad that I have to play music or phone call to loud to enjoy. I also hate for what this bike cost that it does not have self canceling turn signal.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:52 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Final drive whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjammer View Post
I have a 2018 ES with the same problem. I took it in for my 4000 mile service and I asked the service department to check it out and was told that was normal. I am really regret my purchase. I bought this bike for touring and the whine is so bad that I have to play music or phone call to loud to enjoy. I also hate for what this bike cost that it does not have self canceling turn signal.
Gearjammer,

I can agree on the turn signal issue. I plan to add the STS aftermarket cancelling system to my FJR, when winter comes.

Have you ridden other FJRs? There is no FD whine with mine, but I can hear the transmission gears. Sounds like a small turbine operating to me, not loud at all, but it is there. I use full synthetic oil in the crankcase, and Yamaha's FD oil (listed earlier) in the FD. Since I have an aviation background, I enjoy that "turbine" sound. I would not need or want to drown it out with music. Anyway, if other FJRs that you ride do not have that FD whine, it is an easy swap to replace the FD. They should be available on the open (used) market. A low-mileage wreck would be one source for a good FD. Try wrecking yards, eBay, Craigslist, et c.

For the USA, the 2018 FJR1300ES and FJR1300A use the same FD, by Part Number. No other FJRs use this Part Number: B88-W4612-10-00

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Final drive whine

I think that Rbentnail may have a good answer, above. Some tires whine excessively, especially near the end of the tire life. The Michelins that came to me on my used 2008 had such a road whine, and it was BAD. I was almost sure the bike had some bad wheel bearings. I switched to Pirelli Angel GTs, and instantly the whine was gone. I have yet to hear anything from the Final Drive, but I do not have a 2018, either. If different road surfaces will make any difference in the whine, you may be hearing poor tires whining, and not a mechanical issue.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page