Hello From North Alabama! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
FVN
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Hello From North Alabama!

Hello forum! I am a new member and wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a "new to me" 2016 FJR1300ES yesterday and getting acquainted with it. I have been riding since I was a kid in the 70s and have always enjoyed the riding and the people I have met that enjoy riding also. Well...most of them. The last few years I have been riding a Triumph Rocket 3 and it has been a blast. However, due to some back surgery that I had late last year, I have not been as confident riding 2 up with my wife on the R3 due to the massive weight of the bike. Low speed control and maneuvering has been a challenge for my back when riding 2 up and has shown me some limitations that I can't ignore.
I was somewhat set on the idea of finding a Triumph Trophy and staying with the brand and also entertained the possibility of the BMW K1600GTL. The FJR was on the radar also but I had not ridden any of the 3 contenders. The Trophy got the "delete" from the list after searching high and low to even find one for sale within a reasonable distance. Also I was concerned about maintenance as there is no Triumph dealer nearby. It has been an issue finding qualified techs or shops that will even work on my Rocket. My wife and I took a trip up to Nashville and looked at a couple of BMW K1600GTLs and I didn't like the riding position of my legs and nixed that pretty quickly. My wife suggested that we check out a 2015 FJR that she found listed in the Nashville area also and we proceeded to its location. It was a beautiful bike with 7K on the clock and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. It had a few mods with canyon cages, Sargent seat, and Delkevic exhaust. Loved the look, sound and seating position! The owner was very helpful to point out features and controls to my amazement. We came home and I did my research to grind out every detail I could find about the FJR. My wife then added that she had found a 2016 FJR1300ES in Chattanooga TN that the seller was asking about the same price with only 12k miles on it. I realized that Yamaha had made a few changes that year with the electronic suspension along with 6 speed tranny and slipper clutch. Bam!...Time for another road trip! So yesterday morning I hooked up the enclosed trailer and we headed to Chattanooga to find our new addition. It has been well cared for and is immaculate. The previous owner is 6'6" tall and could not ride it long distances without his legs and back being cramped. He had the original seat professionally recovered and reconfigured to add some height along with risers and handlebar adjustments to no avail. He thought about trying some other options as he loved this bike but decided he would probably be just spending more dollars for naught. His loss and my gain. I truly love the way it rides and is so incredibly agile. Low speed control seems to be very manageable and the wife really likes the passenger seat. I am still going to work on lowering the front seat back to its original configuration and shape as it is slightly taller than I would like for it to be.
I have been trolling this forum as a guest and decided to make it official and join. I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning even more about the FJR and forum members. I will upload a pic or 2 this week. Cheers!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 PM
FJR Top Gun

Before rbentnail says it I'll ask that you add location to your profile. Motorcycle fits well in the signature.
FVN likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.
FVN likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Hello From North Alabama!

FVN,

Welcome to the sandbox!

Pull up a seat, and be among friends.

You will find posts here about lowering the seat on the FJR. The aftermarket maker of your seat will probably work with you to tailor it to your needs, sometimes at reduced rates - they want you to be happy. If you got the stock seat also, you could use that while your nice seat is off to the shop getting nicer.
FVN likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM
FJR Top Gun

I have a spare Seat Concepts set @FVN could borrow.
FJRChuck and FVN like this.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome to the forum! You have the fastest color in the 2016, sorry to say for the '14 guys.
passx, Scott_H and FVN like this.

Tim
2016 ES
Past: 2012 HD Iron
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
FVN
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thanks for the warm welcomes! Finally got the insurance ID card today. Down to the DMV tomorrow or Thursday. Looking forward to getting some riding time this weekend! We are just South of the AL-TN line and the roads are a little more fun to the North! Probably head up toward Lynchburg and enjoy some the twisties up there. Does anyone here have a name for their bike? Might be a fun thread!
Victor Sierra likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:58 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR16fan View Post
Welcome to the forum! You have the fastest color in the 2016, sorry to say for the '14 guys.
I am pretty sure my red one does not need to go any faster, OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVN View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes! Finally got the insurance ID card today. Down to the DMV tomorrow or Thursday. Looking forward to getting some riding time this weekend! We are just South of the AL-TN line and the roads are a little more fun to the North! Probably head up toward Lynchburg and enjoy some the twisties up there. Does anyone here have a name for their bike? Might be a fun thread!
Welcome and enjoy these bikes are fantastic to ride!
FVN likes this.

2014 FJR1300 Metallic Red
2005 Goldwing- sold
2003 Goldwing- sold
2005 Shadow- sold
2006 Burgman 650- sold
1998 ST1100-Sold
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVN View Post
Know your roads well. On the Alabama side most are layed out in in nice boring square grids.

We must ride together sometime. Think I know all the good roads in/out of Lynchburg by now, at least those from the south and west. The thing about Lynchburg is that whiskey taxes buy good asphalt.

This weekend is Huntsville Hamfest. If temperatures not too bad I can ride Saturday afternoon. Pretty sure I'll have enough Hamfest Saturday morning to be able to ride Sunday.

August 27-31 is Wing Ding 41 in Nashville. That weekend the roads should be flooded with Goldwings.
FVN likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 08-14-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

FVN, welcome ! A lifetime ago I used to call on a company in Montgomery (American Sterilizer) and always found the people there incredibly friendly & helpful. They wanted me to come work there but my wife was having no part of it, also have family in Citronelle, beautiful state and good people. Going to have to come down that way and ride, maybe check out the Barber Museum. Also highly recommend to anyone heading that way to check out the USS Alabama museum in the Mobile bay, it is an incredible experience, need to go back. Again welcome !
FJRChuck, N4HHE and FVN like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page