New owner with problem - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Ike
Training wheels fitted!

New owner with problem

Hello all. I just bought a 2008 in the mountains from an owner with OCD where his bike is concerned. 14000 miles and literally not a spec of dust or scratch on it. Picked it up this weekend in the mountains running smooth as silk. Trailered it to Holden Beach and it now has an intermittent miss during warm up and at operating temp it wonít take throttle off idle. You can work the rpms up but miss is still there. I thought it may have been the altitude change so I disconnected the battery over night with no change. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, the altitude problems with the CPU are supposed to have been taken care of by the 2008 models. How long did the thing sit?? Sure sounds fuel related to me but I am no expert. How far did you drive it before the problem cropped up? I will stop asking dumb questions now, hopefully the real mechanics will be along soon.
HFJeff likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Its paying you back for putting it in a trailer.
bounce, Carlson and DrVanNostrand like this.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Seafoam in the fuel will take care of water if there is any. How old the spark plugs? Refresh the spark plug wires by unscrewing/pulling off the spark plug adapters, cut 1/4" off the wire, spread strands and thread the adapters back on. Check MAP sensor vacuum line for blockage and the sensor nipple itself. Could have a TPS issue.
passx, HFJeff and jtdunc like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

New owner with problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Seafoam in the fuel will take care of water if there is any. Could have a TPS issue.
Ike,

You can check the Throttle Position Sensor using the On Board Diagnostics, reading out on the data panel. Search for TPS testing in the Factory Shop Manual, or on the FJR forums.

Seafoam may be all you need, anyway.
passx likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
How long did the thing sit?? Sure sounds fuel related to me but I am no expert. How far did you drive it before the problem cropped up? I will stop asking dumb questions now, hopefully the real mechanics will be along soon.
ditto. Sure sounds like fuel problem. 14,000 miles in 11 years makes me wonder if it has sat for a extended period. Figure most of those miles were early in his ownership and then for what ever reason he stopped riding. Old gas sitting just isn't good. Sea foam very well could be the simple answer.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 33750 miles and counting
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Ike
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for all the tips. I bought it during last weekends monsoon and had to trailer it. It ran fine in the garage and onto the trailer. As soon as I started it up at home (sea level)you could hear the miss. I thought fuel myself but dismissed the old fuel idea because of the condition of the shop and the bike. Maybe I should rethink that. Iíll check the TPS and fuel. The map sensor was what my diesel mechanic son said. Iíll check that vacuum line. Thanks again for the tips. Finding the battery was a trick...guess Iím not in Kansas anymore Toto...I looked under the seat!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ike I would change the brake and clutch fluid also. If stuff has been sitting in there for years it will be ugly too and donít want any ABS trouble. I own a 2008 with 46,000 miles and it runs great. Check serial number with Yamaha dealer and see if ground wire update and ignition switch have been done. If not get it done!
bounce likes this.

Mooseman

Allstate 50, Bridgestone 50, Santa Barbra 125, 180 Twin Jet
305 Super Hawk, 350 Bridgestone GTR, CB450 Honda, 360 Yamaha Enduro, Yamaha 750 Seca, 2 x 1981 CBX, 2008 FJR 1300A
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Ike
Training wheels fitted!

Just talked with previous owner.. fresh gas but original plugs..Need to check with Yamaha for sure
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Throttle body synch might help.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page