Accidental Owner - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Accidental Owner

Once upon a time, in a galaxy not so far away, in the year 2017, a man bought a Harley at the end of the riding season like he had for several years.

Over the winter the Harley got some love. Running and looking good, it went up for sale in the spring of 2018. The used hog market had tanked and the Road King was no longer in vogue. Long story short, the Harley did not sell.

Nearing the end of the riding season of 2018 the man received an offer to trade a 2012 Yamaha FJR for the Harley. After a long ride, that offer was accepted.

The man already owned a Yamaha - an '09 Raider S. The plan was to sell the FJR in the spring of 2019 and recoup the investment on the Harley. Long story short, it will be the Raider that is sold.

And that is how I became the accidental owner of a blue 2012 FJR. No sense in posting pics of it - everyone in here already knows what they look like.

I'm an older guy and it seems my tastes are changing. After riding the FJR I realized how much the Raider was beating me up! Yeah, it turns heads, everywhere I go, but I don't look at it, I ride it...

Having owned a ST-1300a and a C-14, I'm no stranger to the Sport Touring segment of motorcycling. The Honda was just plain booring. The C-14 was about eight feet tall and that seat! My God - how did that thing ever get onto a bike? It really, really hurt. Both of those bikes went bye-bye after the first summer.

I don't run bikes hard. I'm just in it for a pleasure cruise. My wife is almost always behind me. I can't think of anything the FJR needs but whatever it is, it's NOT more power! It aint slow...

The one thing I do not like about these bikes (all of them) is the **** plastic all over them. Ok, so it looks like a starship. Wowie Zowie. But when you have to work on it...

I was born poor, white trash. I left home on my 15th birthday, to escape a drunken father. Now I have not one, but two college degrees

Atop my bucket list sit two goals: To become a gentleman and to rid my self of hate. I am not an ignorant, crude and/or violent person and I despise those traits, in others.

My grand pleasure would be to make some friends among the FJR community. Thank you for allowing me to have access to the information contained in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:17 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Accidental Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
Once upon a time, in a galaxy not so far away, in the year 2017, a man bought a Harley at the end of the riding season like he had for several years. I'm an older guy and it seems my tastes are changing. I don't run bikes hard. I'm just in it for a pleasure cruise. My wife is almost always behind me. I can't think of anything the FJR needs but whatever it is, it's NOT more power! It aint slow... The one thing I do not like about these bikes (all of them) is the **** plastic all over them. Ok, so it looks like a starship. Wowie Zowie. But when you have to work on it... I have not one, but two college degrees Atop my bucket list sit two goals: To become a gentleman and to rid my self of hate. I am not an ignorant, crude and/or violent person and I despise those traits, in others. My grand pleasure would be to make some friends among the FJR community. Thank you for allowing me to have access to the information contained in this forum.
Blue Gen2,

Welcome to our sandbox! Pull up a seat, relax, and be among friends. You can find various process write-ups in the FJR archives, and plastics removal is a good one to have. It gets easier with practice, and maybe a few long screwdrivers for the tricky stuff. Silicone spray helps, for the grommets than grab on tabs and pins. I print out the useful posts and pix, as I start each new maintenance job, and keep them in page protectors in a loose-leaf binder. We can have some handy advice here for the asking, which may not be found in any manuals.

You will find a fair number of like-minded riders, here. Add a general location to your signature, and/or check out the posts here for fellow riders near you. Tech days and rallies are popular here.
Sete Bond likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welcome! Lots of friendly helpful folks here with tons of info to share.

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under TOOLS/USER CP. Then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left.

If you don't have one a downloadable pdf owners manual is free here -> https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...owners-manuals.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welcome!! Here is a guide to Gen2 plastic removal.
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...wling-removal/
FJR16fan and Bob Collings like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Blue Gen 2 welcome,
You are not unlike most of the inhabitants of this sandbox. Its amazing how fate helps us arrive at our destiny weather it be by accident or intentional.
Sete Bond likes this.

2014 FJR1300ES Metallic Black
I strive for perfection but have settled for less!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ray, I need you to stop reading my mind, I was going to post a request on how to remove the nose cone, there is a rubber Inside of mine just flopping around, now I can pull it apart and find out what's going on. I spotted it when I put the new head light in last week. Cheers thank you.
RaYzerman and Sete Bond like this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
Once upon a time, in a galaxy not so far away, in the year 2017, a man bought a Harley at the end of the riding season like he had for several years.

Over the winter the Harley got some love. Running and looking good, it went up for sale in the spring of 2018. The used hog market had tanked and the Road King was no longer in vogue. Long story short, the Harley did not sell.

Nearing the end of the riding season of 2018 the man received an offer to trade a 2012 Yamaha FJR for the Harley. After a long ride, that offer was accepted.

The man already owned a Yamaha - an '09 Raider S. The plan was to sell the FJR in the spring of 2019 and recoup the investment on the Harley. Long story short, it will be the Raider that is sold.

And that is how I became the accidental owner of a blue 2012 FJR. No sense in posting pics of it - everyone in here already knows what they look like.

I'm an older guy and it seems my tastes are changing. After riding the FJR I realized how much the Raider was beating me up! Yeah, it turns heads, everywhere I go, but I don't look at it, I ride it...

Having owned a ST-1300a and a C-14, I'm no stranger to the Sport Touring segment of motorcycling. The Honda was just plain booring. The C-14 was about eight feet tall and that seat! My God - how did that thing ever get onto a bike? It really, really hurt. Both of those bikes went bye-bye after the first summer.

I don't run bikes hard. I'm just in it for a pleasure cruise. My wife is almost always behind me. I can't think of anything the FJR needs but whatever it is, it's NOT more power! It aint slow...

The one thing I do not like about these bikes (all of them) is the **** plastic all over them. Ok, so it looks like a starship. Wowie Zowie. But when you have to work on it...

I was born poor, white trash. I left home on my 15th birthday, to escape a drunken father. Now I have not one, but two college degrees

Atop my bucket list sit two goals: To become a gentleman and to rid my self of hate. I am not an ignorant, crude and/or violent person and I despise those traits, in others.

My grand pleasure would be to make some friends among the FJR community. Thank you for allowing me to have access to the information contained in this forum.
Welcome to the forums....stop in sometime for a libation..

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I thank you all. Sounds like the right place for me!

I live in Terre Haute, Indiana - where I-70 crosses the Indiana/Illinois line. Will modify my profile today.

REALLY like to do some RTE or RTR stuff so as to meet the people behind the screens - LOL (behind the scenes)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Blue Gen2,

Welcome to our sandbox! Pull up a seat, relax, and be among friends. You can find various process write-ups in the FJR archives, and plastics removal is a good one to have. It gets easier with practice, and maybe a few long screwdrivers for the tricky stuff. Silicone spray helps, for the grommets than grab on tabs and pins. I print out the useful posts and pix, as I start each new maintenance job, and keep them in page protectors in a loose-leaf binder. We can have some handy advice here for the asking, which may not be found in any manuals.

You will find a fair number of like-minded riders, here. Add a general location to your signature, and/or check out the posts here for fellow riders near you. Tech days and rallies are popular here.

Yeah. I'm in for the meets

Friends of ours - they have a lot more money - are retired. (I'm 69 and I will never retire. Tried it and hated it - lol) They have a classic car and go all over with it. They say they meet the best people at those car shows... And so I am eager to do the same!

Thanks for the welcome
bounce likes this.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Welcome! Lots of friendly helpful folks here with tons of info to share.

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under TOOLS/USER CP. Then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left.

If you don't have one a downloadable pdf owners manual is free here -> https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...owners-manuals.

I did all that but it seems it will not show up before 8 posts? Thanks for the welcome

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page