Accidental Owner - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Great intro post. Welcome. I have had many bikes through out the years, but the FJR has got to be my favorite. My girlfriend and I had Vic KingPins as our main rides but now they are gone.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Colombia Records and TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
I thank you all. Sounds like the right place for me!

I live in Terre Haute, Indiana - where I-70 crosses the Indiana/Illinois line. Will modify my profile today.

REALLY like to do some RTE or RTR stuff so as to meet the people behind the screens - LOL (behind the scenes)
Terre Haute . . . the home of the record collection company, right? I used to buy 8-tracks/albums/cassettes from them back in the day. Were they a big employer? Are they still in business?

Maybe we could meet in Hoopeston for their Sweet Corn Festival on 8/31. While the fair (complete with Midway, Food Vendors, Demolition Derby, and even a tractor pull) goes from 8/29 - 9/2, the highlight, IMO, is Saturday as it has a classic car event that draws scores of beautiful machines from all over. One year they even invited Elvis and he was awesome!

Full link here: http://www.hoopestonjaycees.org/festival/

Welcome!
Patrick
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
BG2.. one of the Moonshine regulars whose daughter's birthday is that weekend is continuing the tradition and hosting the event. Pat, he goes by sirepair on the ST forum, and his daughter Breann is called Munchkin Pillion have been making the trip every year since she was about 8. I think she's 18 now.

here's a link to the thread announcement on the ST forum

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/thr...y-bash.166916/

Looks like things are well underway..

I can't post there - you might tell them weather will be sunny and 57 degrees on Sat.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Collings View Post
Oh, come on!... donít keep me in suspense!

OK...

In '74 I bought a brand new Harley. (c'mon - all of us were born stupid - we had to learn, the hard way). I rode it from Vancouver to Trenton on a summer vacation.

On the way back it was nightfall when I got to Winnepeg. There was supposed to be a hostel there but I could not find it. I was literally falling off the bike I was so tired.

I saw a big building with lots of hedges around it. I just hid me and the bike between those hedges and went to sleep on their lawn.

I woke up to some Mountie - barely shaving regular - telling me to get up and move on. I said I was too tired to ride. He offered to put me in jail, so I could rest. Heck of a nice guy.

Right then, their sprinkler system came on. DUSH - right into the face of that Mountie!

I laughed until I cried! He got into his car and left, saying not one more word!
bounce, Bob Collings and Sete Bond like this.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
I envy you - of you're young enough and tough enough to ride from Toronto to here!
I'm as tough as you, our birthdays were in the same year.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
Great intro post. Welcome. I have had many bikes through out the years, but the FJR has got to be my favorite. My girlfriend and I had Vic KingPins as our main rides but now they are gone.

Me, too. The Norton Commandos being perhaps the most unique, among them.

The FJR is hard to wrap my head around. The thing will flat FLY! The C-14 might, and I say MIGHT outrun it in an all-our dragrace but in normal riding, with the revs in a normal place, the FJR will slaughter the connie.

And it runs on regular gas?

Funny how the FJR reminds me of the Nortons. Handles like a (wet) dream. Look down and think - I'm going THAT fast? The extra 100 pounds are there, to be sure, but if they weren't...

Back in the day, if you bought a Norton your friends would start asking you what kind of flowers you liked. And they really did kill a lot of people, because of their deceit. They found out, just a little too late, that they really WERE going THAT fast.

"Getting used to it" might be my last mistake. I'm going to have to watch this bike, and watch it verrrry closely. All my life I've ridden the fastest, and the meanest street bikes. The Norton is the only one that was as deceptive, as the FJR.

I'm an old geez whacker now. I don't ride fast, anyhow. I've put about a thousand miles on the FJR so these are my initial impressions... DANGEROUSLY fast, because it never seems to try. I had it to 150. Never even tried, just like, "OK. Here you go. Have fun!"

When I was looking at that C-14 I was also looking for one of these. Found one on craigslist but the guy would not let me ride it. If he had the last few years might have been very different.

Anyhow, somebody play that "2 wheel bromance" record again, ok?

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'm as tough as you, our birthdays were in the same year.

I'm very heavily into the anti-aging thing. Check my web site. If you can ride from TO to here, maybe I need to ask you for some pointers...?

I think my main problem is lack of activity. I work full time, but as a cdl driver delivering grain. I need some good exercise...

Anyhow, I will be at the moonburger rally. Need to find a way to meet you guys...

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_FJR View Post
Terre Haute . . . the home of the record collection company, right? I used to buy 8-tracks/albums/cassettes from them back in the day. Were they a big employer? Are they still in business?

Maybe we could meet in Hoopeston for their Sweet Corn Festival on 8/31. While the fair (complete with Midway, Food Vendors, Demolition Derby, and even a tractor pull) goes from 8/29 - 9/2, the highlight, IMO, is Saturday as it has a classic car event that draws scores of beautiful machines from all over. One year they even invited Elvis and he was awesome!

Full link here: http://www.hoopestonjaycees.org/festival/

Welcome!
Patrick

Thank you, Patric. I'll be in Hoopston, for sure! I'm a photographer too and I love shooting classic cars - I have zillions of pics.

Need to figure out a way to find you guys in these places...?

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome to the forum. I am not that far away from Terre Haute, in Lexington KY. I hope to ride some of those Southern Indiana roads at some point, so a RTE around Bloomington might get me out your way.

Tim
2016 ES
Past: 2012 HD Iron
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Nice intro. Loads of good info here. Welcome aboard! Enjoy!

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page