FJR Owners Forum banner

New guy from Florida

961 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Geldscheisser 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals I picked up a 2009 Fjr about 4 months ago and absolutely love the bike. It had a full muzzy exhaust, PC5, tall windshield (as well as stock), highway pegs, MCL upper triple tree and a few other little bits. Only things I have done are grip heaters for me, grab rail heaters for wifey, new tires and alot of maintenance. New plugs, air filter, pulled driveshaft completely apart and greased, flushed brakes and clutch, inspected wheel bearings, heavy bar ends, synced throttle bodies and just went through the entire bike. Have put about 3,000 miles doing only weekend rides. I have always ridden hayabusas, zx14's etc and love those bikes but after a complete 360 lumbar fusion last year wanted something a little more comfy. Almost all of my riding is 2 up with my wife and we are loving all the storage the Fjr offers. I still have my zx14r (set up for drag racing) but the storage on that bike was non-existent. With my back issues I still need a slight forward lean to be most comfortable so I removed the MCL upper triple today and installed a stock one. I think it will be much better for me. Will be doing a valve adjustment in the near future so I have been studying the site to get some pointers. Trying to locate one of the tools that I found while searching. Love everything about the site I have seen!

#4 ·
Welcome cbibb! Curious what did you use for grab rail heaters?

#5 ·
Thanks guys! I stumbled across a trick a few years ago that plastic radiates heat more than aluminum. So even on my handlebars I use an old throttle tube under the grip and heater on the clutch side of the bike. It works much better than before installing the throttle tube. For the grabrail heaters I taped the area on the grabrail with electrical tape (to prevent scratching etc) and used double sided tape to secure old throttle tubes onto the grabrail. Then used standard grip heaters on the throttle tubes. I have a battery tender plug at the front of the bike, so I ran the wiring under the seat/tank up to the battery tender plug (with an in line fuse) so when it she wants the heaters I can just reach up and plug them in. They work great. I can take a pic or two and post them.

#6 ·
Sounds good. The other trick I've heard of is using 1" dia shrink tube on the clutch side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.