Trip to Europe 2020- Questions - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Talking Trip to Europe 2020- Questions

I don't know where to post this, so if it needs to be moved to a better location in a forum, I hope someone will let me know.
Jim and I are planning a two week motorcycle trip to Europe next Fall. I already have rental information and now I am planning our itinerary using BaseCamp. I have put little routes all over the place in red indicating all the passes that we are planning to hit.
My question is whether anyone can recommend places to stay in or near the towns I have listed below. We are trying to be economical so we don't need fancy spa like places to stay. Main priority is clean and easy access to the passes. Oh, and if anyone wants to put us up for a night or two, that would certainly be welcomed and appreciated. Just pm me. :-)

Here is the list of towns:
Heidelburg, Germany (already plan on staying at Steph's)
Augsburg, Germany
Innsbruck, Austria
Landeck, Austria
Merano, Italy
Lake Como, Italy
Adermatt, Switzerland
Titisee-Neustadt, Germany

After our two week trip we plan on renting a car and heading to the northern part of Germany. I haven't figured out what towns to visit along the way for this portion of the trip yet.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Trip to Europe 2020- Questions

Iris,

FWIW, if I was planning a trip to Europe, I would put Canadian flag stickers on each vehicle,and every piece of luggage. You probably won't fool anybody who actually talks to you, but you might avoid some casual (or not-so-casual) vandalism.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

^^^ LOL.....sadly, that’s probably more true than I wish it was.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 03:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Iris, you and Jim are a great pair and I don't think you'll have any issues.... but that guy who sat next to you at EOM knows where to get some of that Canuck stuff....LOL.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hotel Enzian is THE place for bikers to stay in Landeck (actually Iím slightly surprised that Landeck is on your itinerary, being just 45 miles west of Innsbruck, and I wonder if itís Enzian/biker fame?). However itís certainly not bargain basement, but the atmosphere with other bikers is amazing.

https://www.hotel-enzian.com/en

Iíve been to most of the other centres you mention, but canít offer anything as regards accommodation. Iíd warn you, though you probably already know, that the passes are extremely expensive. It maybe worth checking with hotels in conjunction with booking, as many offer free or subsidised pass access. If you are thinking of maybe going a little further east thereís a little gem of a biker hotel that includes a Karnten pass, that includes for example a mountain railway. Mind you, itís a few years since Iíve been and ownership has changed but theyíre still focused mainly on bikers. (Other possible German cities worth considering are Nuremberg and Wurzburg.)

https://www.gasthofhochalmspitze.com/

My only other comment is regarding stickers. Maybe Iím way out of it, but Iím really not sure that thereís anti-American resentment at grassroots level. Europe is usually very welcoming of all foreigners. However, you refer to Ďrentalsí and I assume you mean bikes. Theyíll have European number plates anyway.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

After you mentioned the passes being extremely expensive I tried looking for the costs of these.
I’m glad you mentioned it because that is not information that I had.

Is there a list somewhere (that you know if) where the cost of the passes is indicated?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Get on the B500 from Baden Baden to Bad peterstall stay at the Hotel Hirsch lovely biking routes some of the best inEurope, enjoy your trip.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

^^^ awesome! Thanks! I put that on the agenda.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

The number one tourist attraction in Germany is Neuschwanstein Castle, you should go there if at all possible.

Regensburg is also a nice town and outside of it are several remarkable monuments: Valhalla, the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial, and the Befreiungshalle.

Nuremberg if you are interested in the Nazi background and want to see the stadium that Hitler held the famous rally that you see in old films of that era.

I would also go to Munich to have a meal at the Hofbrauhaus at least.

There's not so much of interest in Northern Germany and it is flat. Leipzig has the Battle-of-the-Nations monument celebrating one of the bloodiest battles in the Napoleonic Wars. In the northwest is Herman's Denkmal celebrating the famous battle of 9 AD where the Germans completed destroyed 3 Roman legions.

Linking Neuschwanstein and the medieval town of Rothenburg is the Romantic Road.

You probably don't have time for all this, LOL.

Candy Red
2014 FJR1300A
Tires: Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Previous bikes:
2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Honda Nighthawk 750
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
What, no stop in North Holland? Very beautiful riding there.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page