Trip to Europe 2020- Questions - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 01:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
This IMHO is some of the best traveling advice in this thread or anywhere else for that matter. It's exactly what I do when possible even here in the States. The last time was when Ken the HD Guy and I visited Philadelphia. Many large cities have something along the lines of Big Bus Tours. Flat rate, hop on/off all day. Very knowledgeable drivers. I learned this from my parents and still do the first day(s) guided to get the overall experience then home in on my own on those points I found the most interesting. Unlike the olden days, today we have helpful, experienced forum members like in this thread so we're not trying to figure out the more rural places on our own any more.
Yes organized tours are OK for the most parts, the only "problem" I find is when they take you to various iffy markets/stores to shop for souvenirs, and the bus doesn't leave until they squeeze the last dollar from you, since the Tour operator gets commission from these vendors.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
In 2017 I took a Moto Tour with Blue Rim Tours. A small company. The owner was riding sweep. Our leader was an Austrian Moto Cop that takes vacation time to lead this Five Country Tour. Was great. I think we had only 10 bikes + the 2 leader and sweep. Any way after the tour I rented another bike and did a week on my own, riding in Southern Bavaria. During the guided tour, two weeks, not a drop of rain. My Solo week rained 6 out of the 7 days. Make sure you take a good rain suit, with rain booties and rain gloves. How do you think those Alpine Meadows stay so green during the spring and summer. Anyway my experiences of that trip led me to go do another three weeks solo on my own in the summer of 2019. Had to cut the trip short as I became ill after two weeks and had to come home early. I was planning to go back again this past summer and finish my trip but Covid 19 got in the way. I am getting older and running out of time. Maybe next summer I can complete my trip. For my trips I rented a F800GS both for the 2017 tour and solo part, and for the 2019 trip I rented a V-Strom 650. Bikes were less expensive than the liter+ machines and powerful enough, and light enough for the hundreds of switchback I rode. Here are a few pictures of the 2017 tour.

PS. also did a River Cruise with the family that year. Budapest to Nurnberg along the Danube. Highly recommend that company. Viking River Cruises.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2091.JPG (697.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2093.JPG (514.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2042.JPG (483.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2251 (2).JPG (523.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2401.JPG (806.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2432.JPG (517.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2442.JPG (527.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2566.JPG (610.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2505.JPG (591.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2571.JPG (653.0 KB, 4 views)
Damir likes this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chucksklrst; 11-27-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page