Trip to Europe 2020- Questions - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Speaking of tolls... Austria and Switzerland have autobahn toll stickers. Nobody will chase you down for not having one. Get stopped for something else and... add it to the bill. Austria is nice - they have 10 day stickers at +/- $10. Switzerland wants your money and will get it - year passes only, +/- $40. Have a nice day. Note the speed limit on both is 120 km/h or a blazing 70 mph. Woohoo.
wheaton likes this.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

IMHO, Stelvio is a one time thing. Go, get your merch, impress your friends, and call it done. Coming from the east, through Trafoi, there are 48 hairpins. The maximum grade on the road is 14%. Hairpins are typically only 7%. Somewhere around #20, it turns to being work. Traffic can s**** you over. See my video. That's 7 minutes behind the camper. The K1600 overheated in the process. There was no place to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZFIf3cj-JX-UDC

Going between Timmelsjoch and Jaufenpass is the town of St. Leonhard in Passeier. In the town there is an inn/cafe called Sandwirt. Go. Eat a killer strudel in the sunny outdoor cafe. Consider yourself blessed. And ask where the name comes from. It explains local history and why many streets have the same name.
wheaton and Sete Bond like this.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES

Last edited by RBEmerson; 12-15-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added detail
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
I'm trying to remember how many passes I paid for between the Andermatt area. No charge for Gotthard/Tremola, Nufen, Oberalp, Grimsel, Furka, and a couple others. Ötztal glacier, and Kaunertal glacier roads have tolls ("maut") but were "under ten", each. SilvrettaHochalpen, Stelvio, Penser, Jaufen, and a few in the Dolomites were no charge. Timmelsjoch has a fee. There is a motorcycle museum in the "bridge" over the toll booths. IIRC, Timmelsjoch has the most expensive fee, but I don't recall what I paid. Maybe Grossglockner costs more, maybe not.

Understand that most pass roads are public thoroughfares. In Andermatt, for example, there is simply no way in or out that doesn't require using a pass road. The glacier roads are not - they lead to ski areas. Timmelsjoch is a road that is free from one side, but not the other.

The Ötztal panorama road has a toll. IMNSHO it's not worth it. Of all the places I've sampled on two trips, that road simply sucked.
It’s only Austria that charges for its passes. They are much better maintained, however, than those of Italy

The Grossglochner is €26.50 for a one day pass. Admittedly I think it’s the most expensive, and it’s also around the cost of a tank of fuel.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
Speaking of tolls... Austria and Switzerland have autobahn toll stickers. Nobody will chase you down for not having one. Get stopped for something else and... add it to the bill. Austria is nice - they have 10 day stickers at +/- $10. Switzerland wants your money and will get it - year passes only, +/- $40. Have a nice day. Note the speed limit on both is 120 km/h or a blazing 70 mph. Woohoo.
I got fined in Austria for speeding (60 mph in 50mph tunnel). It was a con, a trap deliberately laid to catch unwary drivers, and the fine was about €30? I didn’t have a vignette and the fine for that was €65! Mind you the fine covered a 48 hour period so it meant we didn’t then need to buy vignettes (yes weird). We were warned that had this happened in Switzerland we’d have been fined around €2000 for the no toll sticker, and speeding can risk the bike being impounded there and then.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. Any tolls I saw were Austrian. Good point!

My trip through Grossglockner was, in part, close to a survival experience. Coming east from Cortina, a serious rain storm built up behind me. I thought I could outrun it and then head north over the pass to get well away from it. It never got me, but the notion of sitting out in the wide open for what looked to be an ugly storm... not so much fun. It's a shame, because there really is a lot to see other than "just" the mountains.

Spendy? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosco View Post
I got fined in Austria for speeding (60 mph in 50mph tunnel). It was a con, a trap deliberately laid to catch unwary drivers, and the fine was about €30? I didn’t have a vignette and the fine for that was €65! Mind you the fine covered a 48 hour period so it meant we didn’t then need to buy vignettes (yes weird). We were warned that had this happened in Switzerland we’d have been fined around €2000 for the no toll sticker, and speeding can risk the bike being impounded there and then.
IMNSHO it's about "revenue enhancement" more than safety.

I tripped a radar camera near Seefeld, AT. I was sure I was dead meat until I remembered bikes don't have plates up front. That's the good news. The bad news there are more "front and back" cameras coming into service. Grrr...

As I said, Switzerland wants your money and means to get it. Getting nailed in Switzerland isn't recommended. BTW, you can pay your fine, by credit card, on the spot. Have a nice day.

A small point to keep in mind, the Swiss used to get serious about border crossings. In many places the facilities are still there but the customs, etc. people aren't. With a certain amount of distraction, it's not that hard to leave Italy or Austria and not know the border is now behind.

-
'17 FJR 1300ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page