RedFest - 10th - 12th June 2011 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to Pete
RedFest - 10th - 12th June 2011

Well, here we are in 2011 already and time to start planning Redfest on the back of DragonFest3....

I didn't get a reply to my enquiry about routes / times / prices and group discounts from Finnlines and thought this may be due to the fact that I was enquiring too early.

I have been doing some more investigation and think a better and cheaper alternative is to use a ferry from Germany to Lithuania (21 hours) and then ride through Latvia and into Russia. The ferry operator (DFDS) indicates that prices can be saved by up to 50% by early booking and payment. I haven't yet enquired about group rates, but the published figures indicate a 70 cost for the bike and 105 pp, one-way. Early booking would obviously reduce this further. (There is also a slight price increase around 12th / 13th June, so the return trip may be a little more expensive)

In earlier posts, Liz indicated a preference for overnight ferries and Baggy suggested an all-overland route..... (We will, obviously, just be doing a one-way trip, so it would be helpful if this trip organisation was "co-managed" - any volunteers? )

It would be good to meet up with some of our fellow European members for part of the route and maybe also meet up with Ksenya (Ks76rus) for RedFest itself, or part of the final inbound leg of the journey....

If peeps are serious about this, then add your name to the list... I will then start to put a detailed plan together for the outward journey and RedFest itself!

RedFest - The list:

Pete and Vlada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Liz
Farkle Trainee

Well I'm afraid that since earlier discussions, I have been tempted back to a contract in the Netherlands, which means that I can only do skool holidays again. Sorry, but MrLiz has living standards which I need to sustain for him.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Can't let Mr Liz's living standards drop, Liz!!

Its interesting how quiet everyone has gone, after the initial responses to the idea!!! Never mind, we will sort ourselves out.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think it sounds SUPER neat... I wish it was possible!

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
FJR Top Gun

Still looking at whether this is doable. Love the idea of the journey.

Unfortunately, domestic authorities have expressed a certain reluctance.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Pete
Ive gotta say it looks interesting.
However after my cancelled trips last year due to my cancer problems i want to do my own thing. So me & Ails are heading south east & riding to Cyprus.
One of those dreams mate & at my age gotta do it while i can.
Really look forward to seeing you at the welshfest.
Best Wishes
Murf & Ails

God never made half a day & a bird never flew on one wing
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to FB4Short
Pete

Much as I'd love to do the run to Russia after the Dragonfest, I'm afraid I can not get the time off work for the epic ride. However it will be great to see you and Vlada in North Wales in June, also the problem of finances comes in to play as well.

Brian
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Pete,

I envy you with the ride back to Moscow, just emagine in Llangollen when someone says where you from mate and you reply Moscow

How long do you think it will take for you to get from Llangollen to Moscow? I think I saw 2k miles with the ferry and 3k miles without.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Pete,

I envy you with the ride back to Moscow, just emagine in Llangollen when someone says where you from mate and you reply Moscow

How long do you think it will take for you to get from Llangollen to Moscow? I think I saw 2k miles with the ferry and 3k miles without.
We are both looking forward to it! If we are travelling alone, I would anticipate 1 overnight in the south of the UK, 1 overnight on the ferry (north Germany), and maybe 1 overnight in Latvia / western Russia. It will depend on the road conditions, so 4 days / 3 nights, but I haven't looked at the route in detail yet, so this might change. It will also depend on "the pillion".... She has done a few days out, with multiple stops, but never a long journey with a specific objective / destination, so we have a plan B (more stops) and a plan C (put her on the train / plane, but I really don't want to do that and I don't think she will!)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Liz
Farkle Trainee

Of course you could always make your first overnight stop on the way back in Den Haag. Routes via dover - calais, Felixstowe or Hull - Rotterdam. DH is about 30 mins from R'dam and 4 hours from Calais.

Likely I'll be heading off back the Sunday: got to be in skool Monday morning, but nothing to stop you following on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page