Spammers - Page 9 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1300 View Post
Just cleared about 6 to 7 pages a few minutes ago (about 160+ posts) and I think each started a new thread.

If we can limit new registrations to starting max of 2 new threads and max of 10 posts in first 24 hours this will cut down a lot, and also not penalise genuine newcomers. Generally the spammers start a new thread for each post, and they vary from 10 to 15 threads started up to as many as 60+.

From memory, todays 160+ posts were from about 8 or so spammers. My suggestion would have probably cut todays spam from 160+ posts down to 8.
I appreciate the effort! However, even after you just did that, they are back.

However, I still don't agree with limiting the threads to 2 new threads. That still lets them in and still allows them to pollute the place, even if it's only 2 posts at a time. That sounds easy to manage, but what happens when it's 50 people, 2 at a time, so 100 new posts?

The issue needs to be addressed upstream and these people shouldn't be allowed to register. They shouldn't be allowed to post 1 post, much less 2, or 10.

Just my opinion.
kaelaria likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
post #83 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I logged in this morning, saw the mess and left. No since in trying to wade through it until after you guys had brought in the roto rooter to auger out the shyte.

Each post can be linked to an account. Each account can be linked to an IP address (within the forum software). Each IP can be blocked using a wild card for the last octet (x.y.z.*). This MAY have an impact on others using the same ISP but usually not since these bottom feeders usually use some kind of safe harbor ISP. More often you block entire clusters of spammers with one block.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-08-2016 at 11:52 AM.

post #84 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I logged in this morning, saw the mess and left. No since in trying to wade through it until after you guys had brought in the roto rooter to auger out the shyte.

Each post can be linked to an account. Each account can be linked to an IP address (within the forum software). Each IP can be blocked using a wild card for the last octet (x.y.z.*). This MAY have an impact on others using the same ISP but usually not since these bottom feeders usually use some kind of safe harbor ISP. More often you block entire clusters of spammers with one block.
Admin found a setting, something about scanning IPs against banned IPs. Anywho, it's turned on now so even tho we may have some new logons, at least the ones we've already banned can't come back.
bounce likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #85 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

Looks like this has cleaned up.

Just an update, we did set new securities on here but spam can get past it if it becomes smarter. We'll be there to fix it again.

Lee
post #86 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thank you guys.
bounce and Odin like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #87 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Thank you guys.
+1

All the work by all the mod's and admin's is greatly appreciated. It's a thankless job most of the times, so thanks for all the hard work to stop it from trashing the neighborhood.
post #88 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:24 AM
FJR Top Gun

Thanks for the dedication...

A naughty Stone-Gray vixen...
Birthed in the year of our Lord, 2013.
post #89 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Many thanks from this FJR rider to all that make this site possible.
post #90 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:52 AM
CSI
Farkle Trainee

we got beat up over nite....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page