Spammers - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Why not ask a challenge question or two about the FJR when people register for the site???
On two other forums I'm on, one of them is the actual size of the engine, eg a GSX1400 size is 1402.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:46 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensland Ken View Post
Why not ask a challenge question or two about the FJR when people register for the site???
On two other forums I'm on, one of them is the actual size of the engine, eg a GSX1400 size is 1402.
Ken, you do know that most of us here in the states, including myself, would probably get the dang answers wrong!

You Aussies have eaten less mad cow laced Big Macs than us. You still have more live brain cells... (laughing)

On a sidenote" would love me a GSX1400 here in the states... Had a GSX1100 for 20 years.

A naughty Stone-Gray vixen...
Birthed in the year of our Lord, 2013.
post #53 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post

You Aussies have eaten less mad cow laced Big Macs than us. You still have more live brain cells... (laughing)

On a sidenote" would love me a GSX1400 here in the states... Had a GSX1100 for 20 years.
lol lol lol

I had one of the first 1980 GSX1100 ET models, had the big tank and spoke wheels,
They brought in 5 of them to race in Bathurst, a famous race in Australia at the time.

Some ******* wanted it more than me, hope he killed himself.
Odin likes this.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R

post #54 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to FJR Steve Send a message via Yahoo to FJR Steve
Happy to volunteer for mod duties if positions are available.

More people in this (Australia) time zone....could help with the spammer stick.

Here for a good time, not a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Administrator
post #55 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

good morning all (morning here),

Ive taken a look this morning and still seems pretty thick on spam posts. would more security features and newcomer limitations like to be in placed till 10 posts possibly or more? this is a suggestion, it would be left up to the mods and admins here along with members as well.

let me know your thoughts.

~Shane
post #56 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes and yes - some specific thoughts:

I'm not aware of the current 'entry restrictions' but that seems it could do with a tidy-up.

Also, is it possible to limit new members to (for example) 2 posts in the first 24 hours, or something similar; or, maybe better, limit them to only starting 2 threads until they have 10 posts. The problem seems to be more with starting threads, so this is the area to control.

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #57 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
good morning all (morning here),

Ive taken a look this morning and still seems pretty thick on spam posts. would more security features and newcomer limitations like to be in placed till 10 posts possibly or more? this is a suggestion, it would be left up to the mods and admins here along with members as well.

let me know your thoughts.

~Shane
Yes and yes also. I concur with david above.

Russ
2007A

post #58 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm not sure limitations would be helpful on newcomers. For example, if someone has a mechanical issue and needs help and find this forum, they could find themselves locked out of posting to try and resolve an issue.

I believe (right or wrong), that the issue is the ability to join the forum without as many checks and balances as there should be.

An IP check of India, China, or Russia with some bizarre name should stop them from having their membership approved before they even get to 1 post. Stopping them after they post 2 spam posts serves little purpose in solving the problem, other than making the spam posts take up less space. The issue needs to be resolved before they are even allowed to post.

On most forums, you have to have admin approval before you can post 1 post. The people applying for the right to post here are sent into a queue and can't post anything until their account is activated by the admin. That's where they are caught and weeded out.

Just my experience with them. Never let them in. If you do let them in, you'll have 100's of new users who posted 2,3,5 posts, and then it locks them out. That would serve no purpose in my opinion.

Last edited by Laser Dude; 06-06-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fixed spelling error
post #59 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

1. Challenge question
2. E-Mail confirmation
3. Post in the new user forum about who they are
4. Posting but limited editing access until 50 or 100 posts

This helps some on another forum but it does set a floor level baseline that some humans struggle to overcome.

Add to that blocking of certain IP addresses at the 3rd octet (A.B.C.x) and you can handle large chunks of space from certain areas.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #60 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to FJR Steve Send a message via Yahoo to FJR Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
1. Challenge question
2. E-Mail confirmation
3. Post in the new user forum about who they are
4. Posting but limited editing access until 50 or 100 posts

This helps some on another forum but it does set a floor level baseline that some humans struggle to overcome.

Add to that blocking of certain IP addresses at the 3rd octet (A.B.C.x) and you can handle large chunks of space from certain areas.
agree that points 1 - 3 will curb most of the activities of unwanted spammers.

Not sure that point 4 is necessary in regard to the spam problem.

Ken's suggestion in respect to a "specific" question to be answered is also an effective deterrent. Usually a "captcha" image that has to be re-typed by the prospective member will see most of the spam bot software fall over at that point.
Queensland Ken likes this.

Here for a good time, not a long time.

Administrator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page