Spammers - Page 14 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 155 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I usually see it around 9 to 10 am CDT but stopped by last night around 11pm and they were everywhere.

Everyone (or at least a lot of us) suspected that we were heading to absentee landlords when the site originally sold to a "conglomeration".

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 155 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

We have all the registration protection in place that we can add, except for making it where new members have to be manually approved by mod/admin before they are able to post. We can enable that but it requires someone to go in there and approve these members.

~Sheena
post #133 of 155 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
We have all the registration protection in place that we can add, except for making it where new members have to be manually approved by mod/admin before they are able to post. We can enable that but it requires someone to go in there and approve these members.

~Sheena
Wouldn't that be the logical next step? Obviously everything that has been tried has not worked. Take the next step and assign someone (or several) the task of manually reviewing and approving new member registrations.

The last time I looked at it, I took some text from one of the spam posts and entered it into Google. You know the top hit for it in Google? This FJR site. They had about a dozen sites that they had trashed like this one, and it was only 2 pages on Google search results for people impacted by it. So it's not like this is a huge issue that is happening to 10,000 forum sites, it's this site and about 12 others last time I checked.

I know I don't get a vote, but if I could vote, I'd vote to move to manual approval until someone can bite the bullet and install the newer version of software that has more spam blocking tools or plugs-ins available for it.

I hope you all (admins) can agree that what's in place now isn't effective and it isn't working. Time to fix that. Just put a note in the registration process that it may take up to 24 hours to be approved and make that nice and visible so it's not a mystery to anyone trying to register.
bounce and FJR Steve like this.

post #134 of 155 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser Dude View Post
Wouldn't that be the logical next step? Obviously everything that has been tried has not worked. Take the next step and assign someone (or several) the task of manually reviewing and approving new member registrations.

The last time I looked at it, I took some text from one of the spam posts and entered it into Google. You know the top hit for it in Google? This FJR site. They had about a dozen sites that they had trashed like this one, and it was only 2 pages on Google search results for people impacted by it. So it's not like this is a huge issue that is happening to 10,000 forum sites, it's this site and about 12 others last time I checked.

I know I don't get a vote, but if I could vote, I'd vote to move to manual approval until someone can bite the bullet and install the newer version of software that has more spam blocking tools or plugs-ins available for it.

I hope you all (admins) can agree that what's in place now isn't effective and it isn't working. Time to fix that. Just put a note in the registration process that it may take up to 24 hours to be approved and make that nice and visible so it's not a mystery to anyone trying to register.
hey there,

We have a good SEO in place which is probably why it shows at the top. but regardless, we can run this by the mods, and see if they want this in place. the only thing with that is it requires extra maintenance on the admin and mod part as well. with the password resets and having to approve members as we get accounts back and going, it adds a few more steps.

Im not deterring the idea or anything. just explaining is all. we can run this by the mods if this is what everyone wants. just have to have everyone on board is all.

~Shane
post #135 of 155 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
hey there,

We have a good SEO in place which is probably why it shows at the top. but regardless, we can run this by the mods, and see if they want this in place. the only thing with that is it requires extra maintenance on the admin and mod part as well. with the password resets and having to approve members as we get accounts back and going, it adds a few more steps.

Im not deterring the idea or anything. just explaining is all. we can run this by the mods if this is what everyone wants. just have to have everyone on board is all.

~Shane
It's pretty simple, the mod's can spend their time checking ID's at the door, or spend time cleaning up after the mess is made. As a moderator on another forum, I can tell you which one I'd prefer to do. One (approving new requests for registrations) can be performed at one's own leisure, the other one, means you get bombarded with "Reported Posts" notifications in the middle of your sleep. One, you could have up to 24 hours to get to, one needs to be cleaned up as soon as possible after the mess is made. One's proactive, one's reactive.
bounce and FJR Steve like this.
post #136 of 155 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
That's just b/c I get up 3 hrs before you . It was working really well when our Aussie friends were up and about 12 hrs before me .
That will be happening again. For the last few weeks I've have a work schedule that kept me off the forum in the critical times. I found that between midday and 3pm here I was able to kill of many of them. My schedule will allow me to go back to that.

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #137 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

This is another day where I'll just set all forums to "read" and move on without actually looking past the spam headers.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #138 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Someone on this forum must have pissed in this spammer's rice bowl. He/she/it is very determined. I've never experienced this on any other forum.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #139 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

Looks like they were sorted out by the mod team.

As always, please continue to report Spammers with the Report Post tool (!)

Thanks,
- JB
post #140 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Looks like they were sorted out by the mod team.

As always, please continue to report Spammers with the Report Post tool (!)

Thanks,
- JB
We're on it!! The spam seems to come in waves- gone, here, gone, repeat.
administrator likes this.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page