Hard shifting - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hard shifting

Dear fellow fjr owners. I bought a 2015 1300es a few months back and have recently noticed that shifting from neutral to 1st , or 1st to 2nd has become quite ‘clunky’, ie not smooth at all. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and upward is quite smooth but the first couple gears are hard shifts and it almost sounds like something will break. All the fluids were apparently replaced when I bought it (I’m told). Wondering if it’s something I’m doing or not doing or there’s something to look into? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 12:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Your clutch plates are probably covered in black, sticky, goo, causing the clutch plates to stick together and not release easily. The clutch needs to be dismantled, the clutch plates cleaned, dipped in clean engine oil, and reassembled. This is not actually a big job, an experienced mechanic could do it in around an hour.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:00 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeters View Post
Dear fellow fjr owners. I bought a 2015 1300es a few months back and have recently noticed that shifting from neutral to 1st , or 1st to 2nd has become quite ‘clunky’, ie not smooth at all. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and upward is quite smooth but the first couple gears are hard shifts and it almost sounds like something will break. All the fluids were apparently replaced when I bought it (I’m told). Wondering if it’s something I’m doing or not doing or there’s something to look into? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

I would first change oil and filter before further diagnosis. How many miles on the bike and since last assumed oil change? I assume you are not sure what oil was changed.
bounce, N4HHE and sparky300 like this.

2011 FJR1300A

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

Do you now what type of oil the bike currently has? I normally use Rotella T6 but last change Motul was on great sale and I tried it. I swear my bike shifts much better with the Motul 7100. So, oil change, clutch fluid change would be first on my list.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A quick test to tell you whether the plates are sticking or not is to simply pull the clutch lever in while moving in gear and note if the rpms drop immediately or not. Try it when both cold & hot and should be done right after the bikes been sitting for a while. If the rpm’s drop immediately then the clutch plates are not sticking. If there’s any hesitation in the rpm drop then follow Bernie’s advice above.

Also I’ll add that when I went through all this when my bike was new (14a, red, the very fastest color) it ended up requiring the dealer to fully disassemble the clutch m/c & slave to clean them on mother Yamaha’s recommendation because they had found machining debris in a number of bikes with this problem. Mine was done after changing the clutch pack multiple times (on the 4th now) and since cleaning the hydraulic system has simply been smooth as silk. But let me add that when cold on 1st start-up if I just drop the tranny from neutral to 1st it’ll clunk a bit unless I pull the clutch in and blip the throttle lightly which then breaks the clutch plates loose and gives me an almost imperceptible snip. Otherwise the tranny is just slick to shift.

The last thing I’ll add is that on my bike using the Yamalube 15w-50 oil really gives me the best shifting qualities. Hope this helps.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Many of us find choice of oil affects shifting from 1-2 and through neutral.

Suspect my 6 speed is affected in different ways than the 5 speeds but transmission sensitivity to oil is a common thread.

Rotella-T6 5W-40 was the worst shifting oil I have tried. Very close to automotive Mobil-1 15W-50.

Refined Yamalube 20W-50 and 10W-40 are middle of the pack.

A discontinued Valvoline 4T was the best but WPS store brand Fire Power Ester 10W-40 may be as good.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Most likely clutch dragging......
Check the brass bushing in the clutch lever is not worn/dry/scored. Replace with a new one and use silicone grease.
Flush and bleed the clutch (do the brakes while you're at it) and do this annually.
Clutch plate clean and soak will be beneficial.
Toter, passx, 2GENAE and 1 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

here's a link to an old article that was mentioned on here the other day. Lubing the shifter pivot point. http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/lube.html
Toter, passx and hANNAbONE like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can tell when I don't use Mobile 1 4T. I can also tell (shifting) when I wait too long to change oil.
Toter, N4HHE, sparky300 and 1 others like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you to all for the helpful points. To add info I had t provided- there was about 32200 km on it when our hard in June 2020. I don’t know what oil was used only that i was told fluids were changed. Has about 33200km now. Doing the suggested test and proper fluid changes first makes sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page