Malicious Advertisers. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 09:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Okay. To save going back on this long thread to where I posted my recommendation and why.

eSet antivirus (not any of their "whole internet" solutions). Just plain, effective av that has the data signatures updates and old signatures are not truncated like with McAfee.

eSet NOD32 for Windows and eSet Cyber Security for macOS.

I used to recommend AVG free but it kept getting slower and slower as their code grew and they failed to properly optimize it.

I'll also repost about how AdBlocker Plus was caught selling bypass access to it's customer base to paying advertisers.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ceptable-ones/

https://medium.com/@coryobrien/is-yo...t-497b8db0761c

Which is why I dumped AdBlocker Plus and went to uBlock Origins. More than an adblocker, it's more accurate to call it an HTML firewall because you can block content of sites, certain pages on sites, or certain remote content that a site might cross-script to. And it's all GUI point-and-click to do it.

I also highly recommend building yourself a Pi-Hole.

It's easy to do and you can block ANY DNS ping to anywhere so you can block your TV, phone, tablet, etc. trying to "phone home" and send usage data to Samsung (or whomever) for everyone on your network.

Quote:
Perhaps upgrade your RAM (I have 16GB), best thing you can do to speed everything up and it's cheap. I suspect those with issues haven't got enough overhead. Helps also to have plenty of extra hard drive space as Windows uses it all the time to buffer virtual RAM and swap files. They say 10% free space for swap file space, bump that up to 30% minimum.
We saw performance degradation even on CAD machines with 32Gb of ram. We were savvy enough to understand RAM vs page swapping. I currently have a system with 64Bg of ram and still wouldn't run it.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 04-07-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Apparently many do not know Brave Browser has ad-blocking built in. Indicates 15 items blocked posting this message.

In recent months iOS Brave resets the "last read" timer on this site upon open, but macOS Brave does not. Hence my use of Safari on iOS. Maybe the last read issue is fixed as iOS Brave did not reset the last read when I posted the first message in this thread.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'm not a computer guru by any means, I like simple. Run Task Manager in Windows, see what is running and the resources it uses. I do run Norton 360, not annoying to me except to occasionally ask to install extensions for my browsers, which I refuse. Currently using roughly 30Mb of memory. Schedule cleanup tasks to get rid of all temp files, etc. Not seeing a problem with it, perhaps suggest what is better.... I don't even hardly know it's there and don't see it slowing me down. Maybe you have older Norton, yes it was slightly annoying.

Perhaps upgrade your RAM (I have 16GB), best thing you can do to speed everything up and it's cheap. I suspect those with issues haven't got enough overhead. Helps also to have plenty of extra hard drive space as Windows uses it all the time to buffer virtual RAM and swap files. They say 10% free space for swap file space, bump that up to 30% minimum.
To be fair, I developed my life-long hatred of all things Norton several years ago

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

I use Chrome and AdGuard and also Cookie Autodelete, that keeps a lot of adware and tracking crap off my computers too
bounce likes this.

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 07:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I use Chrome and new Malwarebytes browser guard. Seams to work better than Ghostery did. This page alone has 129 hits.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 08:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
I use Chrome and new Malwarebytes browser guard. Seams to work better than Ghostery did. This page alone has 129 hits.
I just loaded this page and AdBlock Plus blocked 2.

I think you may have some serious Malware.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Itís still happening. This site is selling advertising to bad people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C40C89F2-C98B-48C1-93F9-BD49A87A6416.jpg (84.2 KB, 5 views)

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 05:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Itís still happening. This site is selling advertising to bad people.
I launched this page in Incognito mode without AdBlock and got two ads -- one from Yamaha and one from Geico. I also got a video in the lower right from Motorcycle.Com that was easy to close.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I just loaded this page and AdBlock Plus blocked 2.

I think you may have some serious Malware.

See my post about AdBlocker letting "approved" things through. uBlock Origin only shows 16-21 hits it blocks... but that's after the Pi-Hole had already blocked DNS pings to unauthorized locations.

N4HHE - First things first. Uninstall all Adobe Flash stuff. It's an attack vector used more often than "windows".

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
See my post about AdBlocker letting "approved" things through. uBlock Origin only shows 16-21 hits it blocks... but that's after the Pi-Hole had already blocked DNS pings to unauthorized locations.

N4HHE - First things first. Uninstall all Adobe Flash stuff. It's an attack vector used more often than "windows".
There is no and never has been FLASH for iOS. There is nothing to uninstall.

The point remains that this site is selling ad space to those with ill intent. I fully agree we should all use ad blockers, especially on this site, depriving the host of revenue considering who they sell ads to.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page