• 1 Post By bounce
  • 1 Post By Rusty2
  • 1 Post By bounce
  • 1 Post By FjrjrF

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Changing password

My password is saved on this computer but not on another. Can you instruct me on how request my password or how to get a new password.
Generally when one attempts to log on they are asked if have forgotten their password but I'm not seeing this.
Please advise. Thanks,
Rusty2

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Suzuki C50T 805cc Cruiser
2003 Suzuki S40 650cc
1978 Honda CB754 Bagger
**** Yamaha 50cc Scooter
1973 Suzuki TS185 Enduro
1972 Honda SL100 Enduro

Last edited by administrator; 02-20-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removing edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty2 View Post
My password is saved on this computer but not on another. Can you instruct me on how request my password or how to get a new password.
Generally when one attempts to log on they are asked if have forgotten their password but I'm not seeing this.
Please advise. Thanks,
Rusty2
[email protected]
"saved on this computer" can mean a couple different things. Are you saying you have a password manager of sorts on your computer? What OS? What browser?

To change your forum password here, hover your cursor over Tools, then click User CP then Edit Your Details.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:39 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
"saved on this computer" can mean a couple different things. Are you saying you have a password manager of sorts on your computer? What OS? What browser?

To change your forum password here, hover your cursor over Tools, then click User CP then Edit Your Details.
Russ, on the CP page, one has to know and enter their password to change it. I, as you, took it as either his browser, or password manager is on the other computer. Rusty needs to go to that computer and look at his password manager to find the password that is working. Rusty there is no other way that I know of.
bounce likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 04:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Russ, on the CP page, one has to know and enter their password to change it. I, as you, took it as either his browser, or password manager is on the other computer. Rusty needs to go to that computer and look at his password manager to find the password that is working. Rusty there is no other way that I know of.
Yeah, I thought the same about the password manager and asked about the OS and browser. If we knew that maybe someone could help him out. I'm familiar with Fire Fox's.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Yeah, I thought the same about the password manager and asked about the OS and browser. If we knew that maybe someone could help him out. I'm familiar with Fire Fox's.
Sorry guys, not good to ask a question and then go silent. Got side tracked.... What happened, was our home was burglarized and my iPad (among other things) were taken. I had a file on the old iPad that held my passwords. Unfortunately I had no such file for the one at work. Now, I've replaced the iPad with a new one. As for the OS and browser, I'll check but I think Russ has me on the right track with his instructions. Through that I saw that I have not updated my email address and again,,, no way to access the old email : ( Thankfully, my work computer logs me in automatically. Maybe tomorrow I'll take that computer home where I will have more time to work on this.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 11:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

An excellent reason for LastPass. It encrypts the stored passwords but shares that encrypted blob with your other computers (if you know the master password). No longer stored in unsecured browser text files) and access moves between computers/phones/tablets with ease. It also can generate complex passwords so they are harder to break, and easier to keep unique to each visited site.
Rusty2 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:

Russ, my work computer,,,, the one I can access this site on, is running windows8 and is using google chrome. If it's not already clear at this point, I'm not too computer savy.
I do not think I have a Password Manager. I had simply instructed this site (on this computer) to "remember me" regarding my user name, while assorted passwords were stored/hidden in a file that I created on the stolen one.
As mentioned it looks like I'll need that password to create a new one.
What do think Russ, should I just create a new user account?
Thanks for the help!

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Suzuki S40 650cc
1978 Honda CB754 Bagger
**** Yamaha 50cc Scooter
1973 Suzuki TS185 Enduro
1972 Honda SL100 Enduro
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
An excellent reason for LastPass. It encrypts the stored passwords but shares that encrypted blob with your other computers (if you know the master password). No longer stored in unsecured browser text files) and access moves between computers/phones/tablets with ease. It also can generate complex passwords so they are harder to break, and easier to keep unique to each visited site.
Good tip!
Thanks Bounce
bounce likes this.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Suzuki S40 650cc
1978 Honda CB754 Bagger
**** Yamaha 50cc Scooter
1973 Suzuki TS185 Enduro
1972 Honda SL100 Enduro
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 02:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Some might be cheaper but the only other that I have seen 3rd party audits on has be OnePassword. Most of the others put a pretty GUI interface on what is a plain text file (like your browser does) so there's no protection. If you computer is compromised, then so might all your passwords everywhere. The advantage of something that even the makers can't "look" into.

LasatPass and OnePassword both are browser extensions as well as being able to log into your account via the web (again encrypted blobs of data are all that go over the wire) so you can always get to your passwords. You can even print out a listing for putting in your safe.
FjrjrF likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 02-20-2020 at 09:13 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Thanks bounce. I'll look into it. I was letting chrome store all my passwords, then realizing that they might not be too secure. I researched and was right. On chrome, firefox and the like, they are slightly secure, but not all that secure. I looked into Brave browser, but I usually stay away from TOR or torrent type products due to dark web.
bounce likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page