What do you use? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
View Poll Results: Which Grade Petrol do you use?
92 RON = 85 MON [Rubbish] 45 5.21%
95 RON = 87 MON [Regular] 604 69.99%
98 RON = 90 MON [Super] 163 18.89%
102+ RON = 93+ MON [Super +] 51 5.91%
Voters: 863. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Re: Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfruth
Yamaha specifies 87 octane. Using a higher octane is generally of no value. Using a particular octane may have value for special circumstances, but by and large, the engine compression ratio and other factors were designed for the specified octane. My friend is a master mechanic and has explained this to me in detail. If I can translate that in to human terms I'll post it here.
In 95% of automobiles it makes no sense to use the higher grades of petrol, but motorcycles and smaller engines do have better performance with the high octane ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclemc
I wonder what octane britanny spears uses......... hmm ... Me? 87.
She uses 150
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Re: What do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooshead
The great petrol debate gets a poll.

CLICKY CLICK FOR THE PETROL THREAD!

RON is the EU rating system

MON is the US rating system

The conversions are approximate and good enough for polling purposes, so pedants please relax your fingers and orifi.

I promise we'll do the oil one next!
I won't try to act like I am THE last word in octane rating systems, but:
RON and MON are BOTH used in the U.S.

RON is an abbreviation for Research Octane Humber. It comes from a standardized ASTM octane testing system. This laboratory test method covers the quantitative determination of the knock rating of liquid spark-ignition engine fuel in terms of Research O.N.

MON is an abbreviation for Motor Octane Number. It also is a standardized ASTM octane testing system.

Wikipedia has a nice and accurate summary of octane scales, in the US and elsewhere. Without taking credit for their information, I am going to copy it here, since it very nicely summarizes this area:

"The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON)." END OF QUOTE

I formerly worked as a chemical engineer for ExxonMobil. Although I did not work in the fuels testing area of the company, I was aware of these octane tests and scales. I hope this is helpful info for all of us.

scooter78666

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I run 89 most of the year , when it gets above 90F I put in super .

I'd rather be riding
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Around here (US) it's 87 - 89 - 91
I just use whatever's cheapest. BUT if given the option of 87 regular or 91 Ethanol Free I opt for ethanol free. I usually only see that when up in Wisconsin though.
J-Luv likes this.

I may be going to helll in a bucket, babe.
But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Planning to use 89 (mid-grade). Tank still got whatever dealer filled it with.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

87. American octane. No reason to go higher unless you're getting clattering. I don't with my FJR, but in warmer weather, I did get clattering under load with my BMW- unless I ran higher octane gas.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson View Post
Planning to use 89 (mid-grade).
Why? The owners manual for my '07 specifically says 86 is fine unless pinging occurs. IMHO anything over 87 is simply a waste of money as I have used nothing but 87 and have never encountered pinging. Now, I know it's not much per fill up difference- around here 87 vs 89 is currently $2.15 vs $2.42 but let's do the math:

Using $.27 difference per gallon, at an average of 42 mpg (about right for me), for 94,878 miles (currently on my odometer) I would have spent an additional $1,075.92 for fuel and not traveled any farther than I have. To each his own, it's your wallet. But it seems silly to me to spend more than is necessary.

Russ
2007A

Last edited by rbentnail; 03-08-2017 at 06:04 AM. Reason: mah spelin sux
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

11 year old thread.... nobody figured out how to read the owner's manual yet? Bike was designed for regular fuel, but I get it sometimes you can't get ethanol free without going premium.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
11 year old thread.... nobody figured out how to read the owner's manual yet? Bike was designed for regular fuel, but I get it sometimes you can't get ethanol free without going premium.
Here in South Carolina, USA and in South Florida where I used to live, the criminals would charge as much a dollar a gallon extra for non-ethanol gasoline. {they called it Rec Gas or Recreational Gas in Florida}. I was in a hurry going to a meeting yesterday and saw a gas station advertising non-ethanol for a few cents above regular. I am going back there today to see if I misread it.

I put in non-ethanol twice before and did NOT see any greater mileage OR any other short term benefit, but if I could regularly get it for a reasonable price I would do it.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page