Which One? Day-long vs. Laam - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Which One? Day-long vs. Laam

Before I sink a small fortune on a new seat, I would like to get a head to head opinion from those who own one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I've never owned a Lamm, but after I bought my first '99 Concours, I tried lots of things before finally biting the bullet and springing for a Russell. I used a sheepskin on the stock seat for about 30,000 miles and that helped. Then I bought a Rick Mayer saddle and it was an improvement, but not great. I sent it back to him to be redone once and when stitching came undone, sent it back again. One of the problems with Rick, at least then, was that he had lousy customer service. He was hard to communicate with and didn't deliver on time.

When I bought my Russell, everything went smoothly and I absolutely quit having any discomfort, no matter how long the ride. That Russell went with me to my 2nd '99 Connie after I totaled the first and ended up getting about 85,000 miles of service under my rear end. It's still on the bike and the 2nd owner says it works well for him, too.

When I bought my NT700VA in March of '10, I was fairly satisfied with the stock saddle, but when I started doing longer rides, it started being more uncomfortable. In the fall of '10, I got in on a FJR-sponsored group buy for a Russell and, once again, it completely ended any buttockal discomfort. I have had the front part of the saddle recovered once due to wear from my 'Stitch and my awkward mount/dismount procedures caused by my multiple knee replacements. It's holding up well after they slightly moved the seam on the right side of the saddle.

No matter what I ride, Russell will provide the saddle.

Oh, that doesn't include my bicycle -- it requires a Brooks B17, the epitome of self-propelled two-wheeler comfort.

Phil Tarman
Greeley, CO
NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 95,000+ Miles
IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500
2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

RDL for me, I researched for months (but never had another seat), the RDL always came up on top, I am ver satisfied. I did have to send back for adjustments but there were great to deal with.

If you go the RDL route, do it in the winter, faster tunn-around time and no ride time loss as you have to send in your seat pan.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have had 5 previous bikes with Russells, BMW R850R, KLR 650, Shadow VLX 600, CRF250L, NT700, and my new FJR will get one with-in the next two months, I also have had one from Rich's North of Seattle, one from Rocky Mayer, and one from Don Weber in Albany Oregon. Why have I had one of the others and 5 Russell's?

If I wasn't going to buy from Russell the Riche's would be my only other choice as he does build a very good product. Just my ywo cents worth of thought! you can spend a lot of money with most of the others and try various systems and maybe you will find satisfaction. I have spent hundereds of dollars on seating, riding gear etc and I have found out that you will get what you pay for. it is entirely your choice in what you want to do.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 05:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I bought a Russell. It was hard as a rock (worse than Corbin) and way too tall & wide. Made my bike feel unridable. Sold the seat after several months of trying to make it work.

I've never owned a Laam but if it were me I d**n sure wouldn't buy a RDL seat.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've never had a Laam, but I've had a Sargent, Rick Meyer and a couple of RDLs. I will never ride anything else but RDL.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've never had a Russell but I've only heard the absolute best about them, for the most part... Same with the LAAM seats. You won't be disappointed with either one.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1981 Yamaha XS850 SH "Midnight Special"
1980 Yamaha XS850 SG "Special"

Last edited by retro; 11-29-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I can ride all day on my Laam and get off and feel no discomfort. Butt I do feel like it's a little hard across the bottom after a while. Little more cushion, other than my own, would be good. And with a 32" inseam, not sure I would like the extra heighth the RDL appears to require, although never been on one.

2014ES Dulces Diablo Rojo #212
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Beads, sheepskins, gel inserts, etc... then a Saddleman seat before getting my first RDL. It'll remain my "go to" until the day they close their doors.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Training wheels fitted!

For those who are inseam challenged RDL has what they call a sport seat. the thickness is very similar to your stock seat . It still has support in it but not as much as the standard, I have one on a CRF250L due to it's seat height and it works very well. That is also what I will be getting on my new fjr as soon as I get done with some other farkleing that will have a bearing on how I set on the bike, once that is done my seat will get built on a ride in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page