Headshake on your fjr - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
View Poll Results: Have you had headshake issues with your fjr ? And did you replace the bearings ?
Yes 16 48.48%
No 14 42.42%
Bearings replaced 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
The only non-OEM tire he has used is the PR4GT.

Bridgestone is FJR OEM. T30 is OEM but not OE.

BT023 is FJR OE.
I can't claim to have looked at every FJR that's ever existed, but I've never seen a BT023, a BT023GT, a T30, a T30GT, or a T30 EVO on a new one. Everyone I've checked has been a BT023F F on front and a BT023F R on the rear.

A friend recently bought a 2016, and it had the BT023Fs on it. Maybe they bought a boatload of them and are trying to use them up.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The ultimate headshake.

Bill Lumberg likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Interesting note from old guy.

In the 1960's Bridgestone decided to try their hand at making motorcycles and they were ahead of their time, their dirt bikes had dual sprocket rear wheels, and their street bikes had rotary valves and chrome bores and were some of the best crafted bikes of their time. {I thought so anyway}

They didn't have a good dealer network and in the end sold them through Sears and Roebuck, and that may have been their downfall.

Rumor had it, and I don't know if it was true, that the big three got together and told them, "if you don't quit making motorcycles, we're going to quit buying your tires". LOL

I don't know if it's true but it makes a good story, and here we are 50 years later and they are still putting Bridgestones on their new bikes.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My'14 increasingly had a head shake as I slowed down. It was just barely noticeable as I slowed down through the 40 mph and lower speeds. If I had a light grip on the bars it would really intensify. Increasing the grip made it decrease.

I just installed a new front tire...BT-023 FJR spec. Bingo no head shake at this time. I'm guessing the wear pattern on the old tire set up a resonance at the 40 mph range.

'02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
'03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
'05 Honda XR650L
'07 Buell XB12Ss
'14 Yamaha FJR1300ES
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mine was on decel too. Since it appeared at a tire change, I thought it was the tire. Was a simpler fix that involved replacing nothing. 2 minutes, zero cost. **** Bernie- that's a heck of a video. The bike did a complete 360 before it went down.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

On my 2011-never.... Just under 10,000 miles. Running Shinko Raven's.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mine was a bit different than most because it just happened, boom, headshake, like throwing a switch, accel or decel, 35 to 45mph, newer Shinko 009's with about 1000mi on them. Anything less than both hands on the bars produced a near tank slapper. New Michelin pr4 and retorqe'd the oe bearing, loosened and retorqe'd everything in the front, forks, triple tree's, axle pinch bolts, nothing completely fixed it. Retorquing the head bearings reduced it but didn't fix it, the only thing that fixed it was a new set of Alls Balls tapered steering head bearings which really made my bike much more stabile. By the way, my dealer did all the work on this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1300David View Post
My'14 increasingly had a head shake as I slowed down. It was just barely noticeable as I slowed down through the 40 mph and lower speeds. If I had a light grip on the bars it would really intensify. Increasing the grip made it decrease.

I just installed a new front tire...BT-023 FJR spec. Bingo no head shake at this time. I'm guessing the wear pattern on the old tire set up a resonance at the 40 mph range.
Other than the tire brand, this is exactly what mine did for yrs. And on my bike it never made any difference what brand of tire was used, there was always some decel shimmy in the front. A new tire made it go away and as the front tire wore, the shake would first come back then get progressively worse. The only thing that made it go away and stay gone was replacing the steering bearings with All Balls Tapered.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a different train but ever think of this:

- the front tire trying to wobble back and forth at the bottom of the forks,
- plus rider trying to hold it steady at the top of the forks equates to
-> leaking forks at the least and prematurely worn out fork bushings at the worst.

Whether it's actually true or not I have no idea but I've always thought the timing between my leaking forks and the severity of the head shake was no coincidence. Also sort of explains why some folks' forks need rebuilding while others' seem to go and go.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
Interesting note from old guy.

In the 1960's Bridgestone decided to try their hand at making motorcycles and they were ahead of their time, their dirt bikes had dual sprocket rear wheels, and their street bikes had rotary valves and chrome bores and were some of the best crafted bikes of their time. {I thought so anyway}

They didn't have a good dealer network and in the end sold them through Sears and Roebuck, and that may have been their downfall.

Rumor had it, and I don't know if it was true, that the big three got together and told them, "if you don't quit making motorcycles, we're going to quit buying your tires". LOL

I don't know if it's true but it makes a good story, and here we are 50 years later and they are still putting Bridgestones on their new bikes.

And what's even funnier about that is that, while I'm restoring my 1970 Bridgestone 100 TMX motorcycle, Bridgestone doesn't appear to make the tire sizes that fit it!

So as not to completely hijack this thread, I did have some noticeable shake on my 2011 FJR, but it turned out to be tires. I haven't noticed any issues with shake since replacing them.
philharmonic likes this.

2011 FJR13AAC
1981 Yamaha XJ550 RH Seca
1970 Bridgestone 100 TMX
1946 Harley WL 45

Last edited by FJRMaverick; 07-10-2017 at 12:02 PM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdawg View Post
Well - I have the headshake BUT I didn't replace the bearing's YET. Should I still vote? (Or maybe add another option....?)
Following back up on this...I replaced the OEM with tapered and the shake is gone. Steering feels a bit lighter and more stable to boot.
Madmudder and Joel S. like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page