Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I don't like obnoxiously loud pipes, but who decides what's obnoxious? I've got a set on my ZRX that I like, and I can sneak in without my wife hearing me.

I'm definitely not in favor of requiring stock pipes or something approved by some government agency. I fear, though, that someday that's what we'll have because of the people who deliberately get the loudest pipes possible.
I am in favor of uniform standards for all vehicles. Thats not the same as a government bureaucrat setting different standards for some motorcycles, another for others, yet another for one group of automobiles, another for little trucks, another for bigger trucks, another for busses....

And if things are not bad enough a few years ago a special interest group decided they were not getting enough "love" from the government so they invented a special "need" for electric and hybrid vehicles to generate a minimum quantity of noise. Presumably so blind people can hear them. Never mind how many conventional automobiles are already quieter than the ambient noise floor in parking lots and public streets.
Mr_Ed likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

I, too, have a love/hate relationship with loud pipes. I liked the 4into1 pipe on my old 1100. I could pull the baffle (just 3 screws) when I really wanted to hear that inline 4 roar. I miss it sometimes. I love the quiet stock pipes on my FJR. Little noise fatigue during long hauls. The exhaust note on many after-market pipes is a tad too loud for most of the miles I do; around town, joy rides, 2-up with wife or son, extended highway travel to curves somewhere. IF the quiet factory pipes could be converted to open header with the flip of a switch...weeellllll, you could hear me coming once in a while...rolling through long sweepers at 7500 rpm and grinning wide. ;-D

In conclusion, I love hearing the turbine-like whine of my quiet machine, and would love loud pipes on my bike when I wanna be loud. I often don't like them on others' bikes because they can be obnoxious or the way they ride with them can be annoying...and because I may be a tad jealous of the glorious roar.

18 K1600GT Opt #719 Blue Planet Metallic w/saddle brown seat
'14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Similar to my profile pic, "loud pipes suck!" whether it's a V-twin, sport bike, pickup, fart can fast and furious wannabe, or whatever. Same with the blaring music.

A lot of people think loud equals fast. It's fun to watch loud bikes shrink in my rear view mirror.
Little Joe and passx like this.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I am in favor of uniform standards for all vehicles. Thats not the same as a government bureaucrat setting different standards for some motorcycles, another for others, yet another for one group of automobiles, another for little trucks, another for bigger trucks, another for busses....

And if things are not bad enough a few years ago a special interest group decided they were not getting enough "love" from the government so they invented a special "need" for electric and hybrid vehicles to generate a minimum quantity of noise. Presumably so blind people can hear them. Never mind how many conventional automobiles are already quieter than the ambient noise floor in parking lots and public streets.
Very good post. If noise standards are enforced they need to be enforced for everyone. We've got some diesel pickups in our area that are seriously obnoxious.
N4HHE likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Have you ever been out to Sturgis for some solitude during the rally . Enough said

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Loud pipes blow.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Loud exhaust sucks period. It's noise pollution. It's selfish & childish. It disturbs the peace. It's inconsiderate to announce your presence to the entire world, regardless of vehicle type @ all hours of the day or night. There are max decibel standards & town ordinances against loud pipes for a reason.

Why?

There are people working their butt off doing shift work that could be resting/sleeping, babies that just got to sleep after a long day for mom, or any normal person that doesn't appreciate hearing that racket because they just want to enjoy peace and quiet; which seems to be in short supply lately.

Do they really 'save lives' ? I sincerely doubt it considering all the children playing with their phones while driving. What isn't debatable is public perception of loud bikes. They're not doing any of us any favors.

I'm sure I am in the minority on the subject, but loud pipes aren't making the world more peaceful. If you're not making the world more peaceful with your decisions, then what are you doing exactly?
DJRTX and Redfish like this.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I like my Staintunes on the Yamaha and I like my Corsa's on the Chevy. Neither which are Harley loud but when you whack the throttle or step on the gas you get some personality that I like. Have liked it since day one and the first automobile which received a set of dumps and Thrush mufflers shortly after purchase.

Had a straight pipe on my lawnmower when I mowed grass for money.

Had a mini glasspack on a go cart powered by a Maytag washer motor.

Had cardboard flappers on bicycle spokes that had to do until gasoline powered arrived.

Have always enjoyed internal combustion attitude. Always will.
J-Luv likes this.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have a full Akrapovic system on the ZRX. I went to the Kawasaki shop and asked the parts guy what he thought was the quietest full system would be. He just looked puzzled and said he'd never had anyone ask for a quiet system before. But I didn't want anything loud and obnoxious. I did, however, want to get rid of the gawd-awful heavy stock system. A lot of people go for the loudest pipe possible, but I seriously just wanted the additional HP and the greatly reduced weight. It made a very pleasing difference in the bike without a lot more noise.

Like I said earlier, when I get home after a ride my wife doesn't even know I'm home unless she sees me ride in. She said she can't hear it inside the house. Of course, I just ease down the road and ride in instead of revving the engine like a 12 year old.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I think throaty pipes have a place in the Market, however throaty, does not have to be loud. Loud just disturbs the neighbors! Loud generally does not add any value to performance. Is not a safety feature, is a hearing loss item!

Bottom line Throaty and deep OK,

Loud, not good for anyone or our sport.
blchandl2, His & Hers and N4HHE like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page