How To Change Motorcycle Tires - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

You can mount the no mar on wood plat forum big enough that you are standing on it while changing tire. This is what I did and it works well.
N4HHE likes this.

2005 FJR1300
2003 Vstar 1100 classic
Suzuki 750 intruder
2000 R1
2000 ZX6
1998 CBR 1100 Blackbird
1984 GPZ 1100
1980 CB 750 custom
1970 CB350 first road bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
Thank you for the extra info! I'll probably wait a few months and pick one up, I have to find a place for it to live since these things tend to need to be bolted down to a concrete slab to work effectively.
Yes, and drilling holes in concrete isn't a whole lot of fun.

They sell a "trailer hitch mount" for portable operation if you have a 2" receiver on your truck or car. I don't know how well it would work, a parked vehicle has a lot of motion in suspension and tire sidewalls.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
Thank you for the extra info! I'll probably wait a few months and pick one up, I have to find a place for it to live since these things tend to need to be bolted down to a concrete slab to work effectively.
I live near where the NoMar equipment is made and I know the owners. They were able to cut me a steel plate about a quarter or third of an inch thick, about 4' x 6', and drilled the mounting holes for me. It has the diamond plate non skid surface and I hit it with silver rustoleum. I'll bet a steel supply vendor could make the same for you. I'd say it weighs about 70 pounds. I like it because it's 'semi-permanent' because it can be moved if I want, but it stays where I put it. I think the NoMar guys were using this setup for trade shows and such.

Best of luck with it. The biggest key to success is using plenty of lube. I just mix lots of it in the sprayer and use it liberally.

- -

I too have found that car tires were MUCH easier than small trailer tires and little dirtbike tires are the worst!
N4HHE likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
They sell a "trailer hitch mount" for portable operation if you have a 2" receiver on your truck or car. I don't know how well it would work, a parked vehicle has a lot of motion in suspension and tire sidewalls.
Funny you should mention that, I've successfully used a cheapo Harbor Freight manual tire changer on a set of car tires by chocking it up in my truck hitch mounted vise. It says a lot about the force you're putting on something when a whole 6,000lb truck bounces back and forth on the springs during the procedure!
N4HHE likes this.

Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
I live near where the NoMar equipment is made and I know the owners. They were able to cut me a steel plate about a quarter or third of an inch thick, about 4' x 6', and drilled the mounting holes for me. It has the diamond plate non skid surface and I hit it with silver rustoleum. I'll bet a steel supply vendor could make the same for you. I'd say it weighs about 70 pounds. I like it because it's 'semi-permanent' because it can be moved if I want, but it stays where I put it. I think the NoMar guys were using this setup for trade shows and such.

Best of luck with it. The biggest key to success is using plenty of lube. I just mix lots of it in the sprayer and use it liberally.

- -

I too have found that car tires were MUCH easier than small trailer tires and little dirtbike tires are the worst!
I did something similar with a 4' X 4' piece of 3/4 inch plywood. Bolted the changer at the center of one edge and I stand on the board while working. Can be moved if needed, but I have a dedicated tire changing area. 200+ tires and counting with only one bent tip on the take-off bar.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I called a small local shop to mount and balance the tires I bought online for my 97 Virago 1100. The owner gave me a ration of **** about "take 'em where you bought 'em", "there's no telling how long they been sittin in the warehouse", "It's not worth the liability" and "I got $30,000 worth of tires in stock you coulda bought from". Guess he didn't need my business, and now he won't be getting ANY of it.

Called another small local shop. $30 for the front and $35 for the rear. Deal! They WILL be getting more of my business.
philharmonic, rbentnail and N4HHE like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page