How To Change Motorcycle Tires - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I started with plastic on the pads, then went to MojoBlocks (better, more clearance for the tire/wheel). Nothing stops the wheel from turning, so just put a strap on one of the spokes. Or, you could put a threaded rod in one of the holes on the arm, cover it with garden hose or some other rubber hose.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I don't think its worth $200 but snagged it when CycleGear put them on sale for $60 or $70. Haven't seen the sale recently:

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...pro-race-stand
Here is something similar I've had in my cart for a while at Amazon:
TRACKSIDE Front Paddock Stand

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00C4YNC...=1ML0FARZGRLA1
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post

"Must be used in conjunction with a rear stand"

If it doesn't raise the front wheel too high it'd obviously work with the centerstand. But if it does, you'd need something under the centerstand.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have changed tires in the past on an old (40 yr old) changer I got from a little bike shop that was retiring.
It worked okay on older stuff and dirtbikes but was a real PITA on the newer wider type wheels. I finally gave it to a friend with dirtbikes, WHEN I found a guy that will do tires that you supply. He has full NOMAR system as is meticulous. 17.50 taxes in on tire and wheel you carry in (no appt nec). 25.00 ride in with your tire (so total of 50.00 to do both ends of FJR with your supplied tires). He will do Cruiser bikes also for 35.00 but ride ins require appts.

As long as he is in business, I will not be changing any more tires. NICE curvy roads to and from his business

IN reality I mostly carry in tires/wheels......cause I am usually combining rubber change with other maintenance while on the lift.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I was an auto tech for 30+ years, and raised on a farm, so I can't bring myself to pay anyone to wrench on anything I own. I have tire spoons, Motion Pro rim protectors, and a 15 gallon barrel/garbage can with a slit hose around around the brim. Dirt bike tires, gen 1 Concours, '15 FJR, Victory 8-Ball, BMW1200GS, and probably a few other bikes I can't remember, changed many tires on all of them. Some tires are easier than others, but rule of thumb is if the tire is very tough to move, stand back and rethink it because you're doing something wrong.
shootcraps likes this.

'06 Suzuki DR650
'15 Yamaha FJR
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post

Yes, if buying today that is what I would probably get. Its the right price and I believe it is built by the same people who did the one I have now.

Perhaps I lucked out as the lift pads are just about exactly the right distance apart. When planning to remove the wheel I make sure they are spread wide (about 1/16" to 1/8" is all there is). And I make sure none of the lift pad is inside the bottom edge of the fork sliders. To remove the wheel its spacers need to slide straight down and can't hit the stand's lift pads. If it hits you can get the wheel off but will be harder to put back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
"Must be used in conjunction with a rear stand"

If it doesn't raise the front wheel too high it'd obviously work with the centerstand. But if it does, you'd need something under the centerstand.
Mine says the exact same thing. But I haven't found a practical way to do a rear stand for FJR. On centerstand my front stand compresses the rear suspension a little bit. But everything seems stable and secure on the way up and once its up.

It lifts the front wheel more than 2" off the ground but less than 3".

This stand is so easy to use I've reached for it a time or two to put air in the front tire rather than roll and guess and roll again to get the valve stem accessible.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Mine says the exact same thing. But I haven't found a practical way to do a rear stand for FJR. On centerstand my front stand compresses the rear suspension a little bit. But everything seems stable and secure on the way up and once its up.

It lifts the front wheel more than 2" off the ground but less than 3".

This stand is so easy to use I've reached for it a time or two to put air in the front tire rather than roll and guess and roll again to get the valve stem accessible.

Sounds like it's just about the perfect height. That was just me being cautious. I saw a fellow nearly drop his old XS with one that lifted the front too high. Once the centerstand is off the ground it gets weird.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
I bought a No-Mar CH200 a year ago and have changed 8 motorcycle tires, 2 truck tires, and 3 trailer tires.
I'm highly interested, it looks to me like the CH200 is head and shoulders above the sub-$100 manual tire changers available at Harbor Freight (which I've used, not fun and will scratch the **** out of aluminum wheels without special precautions/add-ons). You said you were able to change truck tires as well as trailer tires on it. If it's capable of also doing car tires up to, say, 18", and does not scratch aluminum wheels, I may just have to make the investment on one. If I save $25 per tire mount/dismount, I would only need to do about 40 of em before breaking even.

Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
I'm highly interested, it looks to me like the CH200 is head and shoulders above the sub-$100 manual tire changers available at Harbor Freight (which I've used, not fun and will scratch the **** out of aluminum wheels without special precautions/add-ons). You said you were able to change truck tires as well as trailer tires on it. If it's capable of also doing car tires up to, say, 18", and does not scratch aluminum wheels, I may just have to make the investment on one. If I save $25 per tire mount/dismount, I would only need to do about 40 of em before breaking even.
Oddly an 18" off-road Toyota truck tire was easier than 13" ST-rated trailer tires. The ST trailer tires were just about as thick and heavy but being smaller meant they had to be pulled more. Got them off easier than on.

Am of mixed feelings with the more expensive Posi-Clamps rim gripper things I bought over their less expensive Dog & Cam Block system with an easy lever. Never used the Dog & Cam, but the Posi-Clamps require a 9/16" ratchet to mount and remove the rim and when one changes from one rim diameter to another there is a fair bit of trial and error.

The Dog & Cam Block system pushes the bottom of the tire up off the bead which is said to be a problem with stiff GL1800 rear tire, meaning one has to compress it to bring the top bead over the rim. But I can think of times that would help mount the tire, not make it harder. As I said, don't have that version to compare. But I could cut a number of short 1x2's to wedge between tire and bottom bead to find out.

Recommend purchase of extra pry bar tips, and the fancy tip for the long changing bar. A Yellow Thing. And I like their $6.95 right angle valve stems. "10mm" is the correct size for FJR.

And wheel weights.

Originally I was very unhappy with the balancer. My model has been discontinued because I'm sure I was not the only one. A friend made a couple blocks of aluminum for me with holes threaded for the bearing posts and fixed the problem.

The first picture shows the bearings not square to the shaft nor to each other. The next two have the reinforcing threaded aluminum blocks which holds the bearing posts square to each other. Alignment with the shaft was handled with a carpenter's square and a lever to twist the posts into place.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Thank you for the extra info! I'll probably wait a few months and pick one up, I have to find a place for it to live since these things tend to need to be bolted down to a concrete slab to work effectively.
N4HHE likes this.

Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page