The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

I think Steve Bracken makes a good point about "miles ridden". This list is fun reading and is even more fun since "Our Brand" came out on top but really leaves us with more questions than answers.

If there were an Average Miles Per Year included for each brand that would certainly shed some light.

Another question for me is what is a "failure" exactly? And are the expectation levels for different brands the same? For example, if my 3/4 ton 4wd diesel has a rattle in the dash and wind noise coming through the door gaskets I am okay with it. But if my wife's Infiniti has those same problems it is Unacceptable and Has To Be Fixed.

Good for a fun discussion though.
Steve Bracken likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:21 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quit agreeing with me, it's .... unsettling

Very pleased to see Pop back out on a bike.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Dependability?

Same rider/owner. Me

2011 RT S SE5 with 30K - Numerous problems starting before 5K & we're not talking light bulbs, brakes or tires. All I'm doing now is investing in it in hopes I can 'ride off' the huge loss. Last BRP product for me.

2014 Yamaha FJR with over 20K - zero issues

2016 Indian Chieftain with over 13K - zero issues

2013 KTM SMT 990 10K - Zero issues / sold

You be the judge.

FJR - 2014 ABS California Model

Indian Chieftain - 2016

Spyder RT S - 2011

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Last edited by CRBND8D; 04-23-2017 at 05:48 PM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I guess it's a good thing that they didn't interview me, would've shot yamaha's 1st place all to he!!, 4th clutch, steering head bearings and a broken subframe all in the first 13k miles. But I loved the picture of that really fast looking red 14 fjr on the survey, beautiful bike and in spite of it all I still like my fjr.

I guess like crbnd8d above I'm just trying to "ride off" the loss, absolutely fun bike but 1 more f-u and it'll be gone, don't know what I'd replace it with because it really fits my needs but it won't be a Yamaha for sure....

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 04-24-2017 at 08:40 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I guess it's a good thing that they didn't interview me, would've shot yamaha's 1st place all to he!!, 4th clutch, steering head bearings and a broken subframe all in the first 13k miles. But I loved the picture of that really fast looking red 14 fjr on the survey, beautiful bike and in spite of it all I still like my fjr.

I guess like crbnd8d above I'm just trying to "ride off" the loss, absolutely fun bike but 1 more f-u and it'll be gone, don't know what I'd replace it with because it really fits my needs but it won't be a Yamaha for sure....
How in the world do you go through 4 clutches?

The other stuff (head bearings and subframe) are kinda "known" weak points on the bike. BOth have fixes (ball bearings and reinforced kit) but need to be installed by the end user.

2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
2013 FJR1300A
2017 Yamaha XSR900
1978 Honda CB400A
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Too many wheelies.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

After being nice for as long as I could, I almost had to litigate before Yamaha decided to care about my 2014's problem. Once I got past the clowns in Kennesaw, the folks on the west coast were nicer. Still took 5 months to get fixed. But that was partly because there were no parts available. Here or overseas. Had to wait for a new production run. Yamaha corporate stated that they were concerned. But they made it clear no matter how long I was deprived of the use of my purchased-new, fully warranted vehicle, they would not look for alternate part sourcing, would not consider a demo or loaner bike.

I believe yamahas are the most reliable bikes on the road. I also think that Y.E.S. isn't what it used to be.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I guess, I'm the token that would kill the Yamaha reliability curve, guess it's good that they don't talk to me, but if they talk To the majority of you guy's they'd realize the my bike is the exception here, particular;y if you look at some of the miles ridden by this group on fjr's. I still think you guy's should get a collection going to send to me for being the reliability whipping child, maybe just a case or 2 of beer would make me feel better, heck I'd even feed a few to my buddy Russ just to take some abuse and listen to a few good stories.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page