When Will My Motorcycle Battery Die? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Connector on the left has 10 gauge from battery, and it also feeds my auxiliary fuse panel. Note rubber cover to prevent anything from getting in to short the terminals. Connector on the right is the end of 10 gauge booster cables, connector took the place of one set of clamps. Cables are coiled and reside in the tail of the FJR.

I do not have a fuse in the 10 gauge wiring from the battery, but the wires have thick insulation and I have a chafe-proof sleeve over the wires to prevent any wear-through.

New Lithium booster pack (Anti-Gravity or similar) can/will take the place of the booster cables, although I'll probably carry both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070761.JPG (520.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P1070763.JPG (522.9 KB, 10 views)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My BMW had a remote terminal. Never used it but it was cool to have. I've had batteries last years and years. The battery in my '14 FJR lasted just over 2 years when it began causing slow starts. These days I'm far more likely to see anomalies in the bike from the battery than get to the point where it won't start the bike at all.
philharmonic likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 02:05 AM
Training wheels fitted!

there is no proper lifespan it depends from company to company whether battery will have long or short run.
i have 10 years old bmw bike and the battery is still in working condition i have not replaced it yet.

i have a skoda car and it is on its 2nd battery in 12 years.
so it doesn't matter in how many years battery dies it all depends upon company.

check this guide out it have some information related to battery which will surely help you.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Lots of confusing info about batteries, even urban myths.... educate yourself on the real deal from credible sources....
Using Yuasa's Technical Guide, we have AGM/VRLA batteries, when fully charged and resting voltage checked, should be 12.9-13V. Yuasa says not to discharge below 12.5V (50% charge) as degradation starts and not to discharge it below that multiple times.
That may be the ideal state, but if you have a voltmeter installed direct or plug in a Battery Tender voltmeter into your Battery Tender harness, you can see the voltage before you turn the key on. The FJR has a natural parasitic draw to keep clock/trip meters/ECU memory, and you can monitor how many days it takes to discharge to 12.5V. In theory with that ideal state, time to plug in your Battery Tender if you're not a regular user of one.
Add to this any accessory you may have that is unswitched, such as USB chargers, or GPS left on with a wired direct cradle, and the discharge rate will be even higher.... best have those on an aux. fuse box or on a circuit that is switched on only with ignition. I prefer a voltmeter constantly powered but with a switch I can use to shut it down for storage... again, I'm looking for the voltage before I turn the ignition on.
So, I recommend everyone have a voltmeter, educate yourself, and pick a number where you'd plug in your Battery Tender.
Some just plug in to the Battery Tender when they return from a ride if the bike is going to be sitting for a week, it does keep it up there at 13-13.2. I haven't had an issue with that and most of my batteries last the expected 5 years. OEM's even longer. But that depends where you live..... Arizona and Texas heat will eat a battery in half that.... heat is the enemy.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page