Fix for leaking oil filters - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I think that is an insult to those of us who are convex.
I see what you mean. No, really. All I gotta do is look down and I see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
FJR Top Gun

Your evidence is far better than mine, I concede that because I have none.
But a marketing release? Marketing goes to 4 years of collage to learn how to be better lairs. There are reams and reams of marketing releases trying to cover for real deadly manufacturing defects. Anyone remember the "passel-back" ford van?
I have consulted for a parts supply company whose only concern in a down economy is limiting production cost. The easiest way is to consolidate part numbers by eliminating application overlap. When this happens some applications get dropped. Sometimes they do not realize this creates gaps. Other times its a calculation and they know it . When they get caught they just have marketing cover it up and allow that segment of the market to go elsewhere.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:14 PM
MJS
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Odd... my '03 (US) model has never had a leaky oil filter.

Maybe it's because I use factory filters.

Ditto on both counts.
kaelaria likes this.

'05 FJR 1300

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

New here and haven't had to change oil yet, but what is the reason for not using an OEM filter? Are they inferior? More expensive? Just curious, sure don't want to start an oil / filter debate that goes on for eternity, lol
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Odd... my '03 (US) model has never had a leaky oil filter.

Maybe it's because I use factory filters.
That's a strategy that would certainly work.

But I've had the same luck on the FJR and other motorcycles over several decades of riding by simply using a filter recommended by the filter manufacturer. K&N, Wix, Amsoil, Fram, and probably other filter manufacturers have a filter that they specify for the FJR.

The filters listed here that leak -- Purolator and Bosch -- aren't even recommended by the filter manufacturer for the bike. The fact that a filter that was never recommended for the bike in the first place now leaks sure doesn't prove that the only conceivable "proper" filter for the bike must come from Yamaha.
Clair likes this.
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair View Post
New here and haven't had to change oil yet, but what is the reason for not using an OEM filter? Are they inferior? More expensive? Just curious, sure don't want to start an oil / filter debate that goes on for eternity, lol
The OEM filter, when tested, is OK. It's not all that expensive. The major thing for me is I have one Yamaha dealer about 8 miles away and it doen't always have the Yamaha filter in stock. The next two dealers are over 30 miles away. I have boo koo Auto Zones, Napas, Advance, O'Reilly's and WalMarts within ten miles. They always have something that fit.

Just because a filter says Yamaha on doesn't make it best either.
Clair likes this.
post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
The OEM filter, when tested, is OK. It's not all that expensive. The major thing for me is I have one Yamaha dealer about 8 miles away and it doen't always have the Yamaha filter in stock. The next two dealers are over 30 miles away. I have boo koo Auto Zones, Napas, Advance, O'Reilly's and WalMarts within ten miles. They always have something that fit.

Just because a filter says Yamaha on doesn't make it best either.
Ditto.

For me personally, and for reasons that I won't go into, I would prefer not to do business with the Yamaha dealer closest to me. I bought two Yamaha filters from the dealer where I bought my bike when I bought it.

I've used Wix filters on everything I've owned for as long as I can remember. So, being a creature of habit, I've used Wix on the Yamaha except for those two.
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Dam*, when this thread started I had hopes the OEM - non-OEM oil filter debate would be solved.

Norm, best of luck with your modified union bolt. It will certainly fulfill a need for some riders.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
The fact that a filter that was never recommended for the bike in the first place now leaks sure doesn't prove that the only conceivable "proper" filter for the bike must come from Yamaha.
I'm sorry if I inferred that the OEM filter was the *only* "proper" filter. My intent was to express that, as a % of the total cost of the bike and ownership, the savings is statistically insignificant and the possibility of frustration (as described in at least this thread) is higher. Since the OEM filter is available on-line, dealing with a local dealer that is somehow distasteful is also not mandatory.
kaelaria likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Since the OEM filter is available on-line, dealing with a local dealer that is somehow distasteful is also not mandatory.
Buying online is also an excellent reason to get a better performing, lower priced filter that is recommended by the producer to fit an FJR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page