Fix for leaking oil filters - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormKern View Post
Beg to differ.
1. The filter shown in my photos IS a Pure One 14610. Purolator has changed this filter. You just haven't encountered one yet.

2. This is not a manufacturing error. This change required new tooling. It is impossible to put the base on upside down- the annular groove that is crimped to fasten the can on the filter would be facing the wrong way and the can could not be attached. The channel that the sealing ring goes in would be a ridge if the end were turned around- that's obviously not the case. That's just for starters.

Norm Kern
This could easily be a manufacturing error!!!
Simply put the wrong base could have been loaded into the machine that crimps the core to it.
Or the wrong part number could have been printed on the filter.
The wrong specification filter could have been used to replace the correct one to fit our application.
Lets not forget the same production line produces hundreds of variations of filters with many different labels.

All manufacturing errors. All distinct possibilities and to me quite a bit more likely then the manufacture just decided out of the blue to redesign a filter with 20+ applications for no reason.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
mobilemike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
NormKern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
This could easily be a manufacturing error!!!
Simply put the wrong base could have been loaded into the machine that crimps the core to it.
Or the wrong part number could have been printed on the filter.
The wrong specification filter could have been used to replace the correct one to fit our application.
Lets not forget the same production line produces hundreds of variations of filters with many different labels.

All manufacturing errors. All distinct possibilities and to me quite a bit more likely then the manufacture just decided out of the blue to redesign a filter with 20+ applications for no reason.
No manufacturing errors. Quote from another forum: "At Purolator, we continually strive to provide improved innovation and performance of our products. Late last year we re-designed the baseplate assembly for our 14612 product offerings. This change included PureONE and Purolator Classic as well as our commercial brands.
Why the change? The 14612 series fits many applications from families including Chevy, Ford, Mazda, Infinity, Subaru and Nissan. A few of these applications are particularly difficult to reach. In order to improve the overall customer experience, we changed the baseplate design to provide additional thread engagement and a more noticeably “snug” feel when hand-tightening the filter. This improvement was accomplished by: 1. Changing the base plate from a concave to a convex design (as it shows in your photo); and 2. Slightly increasing the height of the gasket.
While the “feel” of hand installation is noticeably enhanced with these changes, it is always recommended to use a torque wrench specification of 12-15 Nm (approximately a final tightening turn) to ensure proper seal.
[email protected]
Purolator Marketing Team"

Link to the page where I found this HERE


Norm Kern

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
2016 FJR 1300 ES, 2000 Suz DRZ 400e
MSTA FlyBy Week event coordinator
Motorcycle Sport Touring Association VP
Iron Butt Association member
Dayton M/C Ohio Life Member

Last edited by NormKern; 01-26-2016 at 08:08 AM.
NormKern is offline  
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 5,007
The real difference for FJR's is the hex on the threaded adapter which bottoms out on the filter baseplate. Honda and Suzuki don't have this hex, theirs more looks like a standard pipe nipple. Suzuki is a different thread, but you can get aftermarket adapters so it will take FJR compatable filters.
RaYzerman is offline  
 
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeastern Mass
Posts: 360
You can get the Mobil 1 FJR specific filter, M1MC-134, from Pep Boys for $13.
lowrider is offline  
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 648
Over in that other forum whose name shall remain unmentioned there have been numerous discussions on oil filters over the past 12 years. Other forums too, both FJR and other brands. Lots of good information sprinkled in with the BS on the difference amoung filter. That other forum has lots of compatible filters listed. Something like a year ago I posted a thread on the concave and convex issue when I had problems with Bosch. My current filter is a Purolator One 14610 but the one for synthetic oil. Why in the **** did I get a synthetic oils specific filter? Because it was the only one that fit an FJR on the shelf. That's the only reason. If you believe you need a synthetic specific filter, you probably believe in the Easter Rabbit and Santa Claus. During my Bosch adventure I looked at the Bosch's at Advance Auto and WalMart. There were the same model number in at least two different packages. There was convex and concave on the same shelf. When I posted last year, Wix made Purolator, Bosch and a bunch of others to the spec provided them by the company whose name it bears. Buy what you want to buy. Put Norm's gismo in, if you want. I'm not. Over the years my experience has taught me never to buy Fram. I don't change oil on a trip, don't make 10K mile runs so I change before I leave and check to make sure the filter does not leak. When I buy my next filter I will open the box and see if it is concave and will buy it. If it is convex I will not buy it. IMO, it is sad that Purolator One 14690 no longer works on an FJR because tests have shown it to be one of the best performing filters.
NormKern likes this.

Last edited by OldButNotDead; 01-26-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Had concave and convex bass ackwards!
OldButNotDead is offline  
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Over in that other forum whose name shall remain unmentioned there have been numerous discussions on oil filters over the past 12 years. Other forums too, both FJR and other brands. Lots of good information sprinkled in with the BS on the difference amoung filter. That other forum has lots of compatible filters listed. Something like a year ago I posted a thread on the concave and convex issue when I had problems with Bosch. My current filter is a Purolator One 14610 but the one for synthetic oil. Why in the **** did I get a synthetic oils specific filter? Because it was the only one that fit an FJR on the shelf. That's the only reason. If you believe you need a synthetic specific filter, you probably believe in the Easter Rabbit and Santa Claus. During my Bosch adventure I looked at the Bosch's at Advance Auto and WalMart. There were the same model number in at least two different packages. There was convex and concave on the same shelf. When I posted last year, Wix made Purolator, Bosch and a bunch of others to the spec provided them by the company whose name it bears. Buy what you want to buy. Put Norm's gismo in, if you want. I'm not. Over the years my experience has taught me never to buy Fram. I don't change oil on a trip, don't make 10K mile runs so I change before I leave and check to make sure the filter does not leak. When I buy my next filter I will open the box and see if it is concave and will not buy it. If it is convex I will buy it. IMO, it is sad that Purolator One 14690 no longer works on an FJR because tests have shown it to be one of the best performing filters.
Not being contrarian, but I think the part in red is exactly backward. Concave = good Convex = bad

Interesting that Wix made the filters that changed because Wix is one of the manufacturers that actually recommended a filter for our bikes, and on their lookup on their webpage they still recommend the 51358, which I've been using.
OldButNotDead likes this.
Mr_Ed is offline  
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Not being contrarian, but I think the part in red is exactly backward. Concave = good Convex = bad

Interesting that Wix made the filters that changed because Wix is one of the manufacturers that actually recommended a filter for our bikes, and on their lookup on their webpage they still recommend the 51358, which I've been using.
Ed, you're not being contrarian, you are absolutely right. I totally screwed that one up. Just hope I remember the difference when I buy my next filter LOL.
OldButNotDead is offline  
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Ed, you're not being contrarian, you are absolutely right. I totally screwed that one up. Just hope I remember the difference when I buy my next filter LOL.
Oh. I know you know the difference, but just in case someone reading the post didn't I wanted to point it out.

And, I really am contrary old fool sometimes
Mr_Ed is offline  
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
bounce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,028
Odd... my '03 (US) model has never had a leaky oil filter.

Maybe it's because I use factory filters.
Ignacio likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bounce is offline  
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Silver City, Montana
Posts: 2,330
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Not being contrarian, but I think the part in red is exactly backward. Concave = good Convex = bad
I think that is an insult to those of us who are convex.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Pterodactyl is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOBIL M1-110 Oil filters great price on Amazon Today ... MrZappo FJR Parts & Servicing 3 09-26-2015 05:21 PM
Oil type and filters Woodsmj FJR Technical 45 08-15-2015 11:55 PM
Brand new FJR red front fender, mud flap & oil filters lobsterbake Bikes & Parts For Sale - USA 1 07-27-2015 12:39 PM
Cross Reference of Oil Filters SoCalFJR FJR Parts & Servicing 14 11-23-2013 08:18 AM
Stainless reusable oil filters - size doc FJR Technical 17 09-08-2013 01:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome