Fix for leaking oil filters - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
I'd agree that it may be a bad run of filters if it haven't been repeatedly reported from numerous geographical locations over the course of (over a year I think) .

Unless it was a giant run and the stock k has not churned yet. Seems unlikely.

But, no way to know for sure I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Looks like I'll be stocking up old stock from my local AutoZone.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I'll stick to buying Yamaha filters for peanuts off Amazon...perfect.
Ignacio and FjrjrF like this.

My Adventures Vlog & How-To Videos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

The "outie" filters are not an out-of-spec mistake or incorrect assembly- they are a manufacturing change that required retooling. It's a change that's widely adopted across the industry, but not universal.

If you don't modify your union bolt, either use OEM filters or be VERY vigilant- your favorite brand can chang without notice. That's what happened with my personal favorite- the Pure One 14610- that's what prompted me to research this issue and come up with a fix.

There is a long-running thread on another forum about this problem that discusses what brands are affected. See it HERE.

Norm Kern

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
2014 FJR 1300 ES, 2000 Suz DRZ 400e
MSTA, IBA, Dayton M/C
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I believe Norm is correct, the rumor is Purolator acquired another manufacturer and set up manufacturing in a new facility. They make filters for multiple brands including Bosch and some components like end plates may be shared. The design change to outie has left insufficient room to seat the gasket fully.
I measured a few of the previous filters and they were .24" or more gasket surface to where the "nut" might hit. The "outies" have less. Next oil change I'll measure gasket surface to nut for fun, unless someone has already done so.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Are these typically issues that present themselves immediately? I used a fram extra guard ph6017a. Hadn't even thought about checking clearance. Fram is concave but the threaded portion sticks out further than the yamaha.

Obviously they have a horrible reputation (not too sure those criticisms still apply today) but I won't use one for my next change because the shape doesn't fit my filter socket. Hopefully wont have too much trouble removing it after a couple thousand miles. Although it looks like maybe I could fit a c clamp on it.

Also, does anyone actually torque their filters to the factory 13 ft lbs? This is far more than I would ever expect a filter to need to be tightened

Last edited by matt1300a; 01-25-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I am not against modifying things. God knows my Bandit will prove that but............................................... ..........
Buying a modified mount for $30 to fix a DEFECTIVE $8 oil filter seems like a fools errand to me.
This^^. We have long known what filters fit. When shopping locally I just look in the filter box to see if it's an innie or an outie. Thus far Mobil 1 M-108 and M-110 are unaffected. If I remember to I'll toss a couple OEM or HiFlo Filtro on an on-line order, depending what's on sale.
kaelaria likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormKern View Post
The "outie" filters are not an out-of-spec mistake or incorrect assembly- they are a manufacturing change that required retooling. It's a change that's widely adopted across the industry, but not universal.

Norm Kern
I suspect it is actually a part consolidation. These filters fit may different applications from other brand bikes to outboards.
Every so often the manufactures will consolidate production overlaps without checking the finer specs.
I will continue to find filters that fit rather than modify.
BUT THANK YOU for bringing this to our attention. So now we know what to look for.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
The Purolator PL14610 and its shorter brother, the PL14610, work just fine. They still have the concave base.

You know what I wonder? I wonder if someone in the filter factory loaded the filter bases into the production machinery upside down.

All that would take is a change in the packaging somewhere in preproduction.
Beg to differ.
1. The filter shown in my photos IS a Pure One 14610. Purolator has changed this filter. You just haven't encountered one yet.

2. This is not a manufacturing error. This change required new tooling. It is impossible to put the base on upside down- the annular groove that is crimped to fasten the can on the filter would be facing the wrong way and the can could not be attached. The channel that the sealing ring goes in would be a ridge if the end were turned around- that's obviously not the case. That's just for starters.

Norm Kern

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
MSTA, IBA, Dayton M/C
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
do all generations need this? I have an 05
Yup. Same problem for all years. Dunno about 2016, but a friend is getting one so we will know soon.

Norm Kern

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
MSTA, IBA, Dayton M/C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page