Motorcycle Larry Customer No-Service - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoHero View Post
Yes the owner "Larry" passed away in 2012 I thought.
the product looked well designed.

Dwayne

Oh the products were well designed. By other companies. A LOT of MCL stuff was very closely copied from other folks' work. He changed just enough to stay legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
Well, the way i see it, the guy had a great reputation, made good products, and the family now has a fully setup ecommerce business. A valuable, sellable enterprise it would seem !
By not responding to communication, they are doing harm to that reputation that Dad has probably spent a good part of his life earning. That harm spreads on the web like wildfire.

Their website should have a splash page explaining their situation, even if it is to say that they are in Limbo over the whole thing.

Sorry to be the jerk talking about a dead man but... Larry was not well loved in the Sport Touring community. He did turn out some really good stuff but his biggest sellers were close copies of the work of other companies. Going back to some of the Other Forums the reviews of MCL are not happy ones.

As I recall as his health and balance faded his last ride was on a Honda ST1300. He fell while dealing with a saddlebag with the bike parked and that did him in. He held on for a while longer but was never the same man.

Larry did love to ride, he did do a lot for our sport touring bikes. For that I wish him the best and I do sincerely hope he is in a Better Place.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Oh the products were well designed. By other companies. A LOT of MCL stuff was very closely copied from other folks' work. He changed just enough to stay legal

Sorry to be the jerk talking about a dead man but... Larry was not well loved in the Sport Touring community. He did turn out some really good stuff but his biggest sellers were close copies of the work of other companies. Going back to some of the Other Forums the reviews of MCL are not happy ones.
Yup. Consider this a confirmation from an additional source. For as long as I can remember there were creators claiming rampant unlicensed copying. It seemed to me that he let others invest in the R&D and then made clones like Gerbing did when they off-shored the Heat Troller design (up to including a flaw in the original design that Heat Troller fixed and Gerbing never did). Or worse like when J&M sued a one-man shop for his own design after they came in behind him and patented his design; eventually bankrupting him before a ruling could be made. He died of cancer not long after and I've always wondered if it was the stress that played a major part.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 03-10-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Oh my, seems a lot of stuff I wasn't aware of been going on...

I guess it is best left to fade away into Sport Touring days gone by.

I will look for a used Helibar clamp as I really like the double clamp bolts on each fork leg over the stock single bolt style. All my dirt bikes have (2) fork leg clamp bolts for rigidity can't see why Yamaha would go in reverse on a performance minded bike.

Dwayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page