Garauld Accessory Catalog - Page 13 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Also,
It looks like all the racks, Yamaha, Givi, Shad will need to have plastic under the rear seat cut out to fit the supports?
Thanks again
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 10:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Joe, from my conversation(s) with Yamaha after my subframe broke they told me with using the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack (the one I have and the only one you have to cut out things I think) the givi sr 357 or Shad tube rack that they (Yamaha) only recommend a maximum of 10lbs over the weight of the top box, 10lbs !

That all said when my subframe broke I weighed my Shad 50l topbox which weighed in at 15lbs empty, the equivalent oe Yamaha box was 25lbs and the Yamaha rep got quite testy when I asked him about the additional 10lbs of the Yamaha box, I don’t know what the Givi topbox weighs.

I will also add that the rack you have supplies zero support and actually adds stress to the very poor rear subframe, that’s why I always recommend the heavy aluminum Yamaha rack, the Givi sr357 or the similar Shad tube rack as they all provide support to minimize any flex in the rear subframe. I also personally like to add a stiffy kit to keep the back of the bike together if the subframe does break which it did for me when mine broke. Although the stiffy by itself will not prevent a broken subframe as it provides no relief from the subframe tab’s flexing.

If you look in the owners manual it recommends a max of 7lbs as does the sticker on the subframe under the seat. I was very conscientious of no more than 5lbs in my 15lb Shad topbox for a total of 20lbs, I originally used a Shad “X” type steel mount that mounted exactly the same way as your rack along with an installed Stiffy and usually carried nothing in my topbox using it mostly for storing things at stops only with a very occasional trip and no more than 5lbsin the box.

Imho, I wouldn’t carry anything on that rack, not that it’s a bad piece but just because the subframe is so poor, they are about $600 for a new one with you doing the labor to change it out. My .02
joesedroid likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 12-19-2020 at 10:36 AM.
post #123 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 11:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesedroid View Post
Also,
It looks like all the racks, Yamaha, Givi, Shad will need to have plastic under the rear seat cut out to fit the supports?
Thanks again
Joe
No, that is not correct. The Givi SR357 is bolt on, no cutting required.
2GENAE and joesedroid like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 12:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Joe, from my conversation(s) with Yamaha after my subframe broke they told me with using the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack (the one I have and the only one you have to cut out things I think) the givi sr 357 or Shad tube rack that they (Yamaha) only recommend a maximum of 10lbs over the weight of the top box, 10lbs !
Steve, the data and instruction sheet for my Touratech (apparently no longer marketed but similar to this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1015873) luggage rack says weight limit of 12 pounds (5 kilos). On a popular sports-tourer?

[SIZE=5][B]By the way, has Garauld thought about adding rider and passenger footpeg lowering blocks to his catalog?

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 12-19-2020 at 12:59 PM.
post #125 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
...has Garauld thought about adding rider and passenger footpeg lowering blocks to his catalog?
-> I have thought about these multiple times when MCL was making them. I am now retired and winding down to work on other projects and have no plans to add new items to my catalog. I was actually hoping a younger rider would pick up this product line and maybe buy me out?

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300
post #126 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
In addition to Russ's comments..... Just my opinion...... if you are strapping on a tail bag, that isn't the same as having a hard top case that can vibrate/flex and transfer loads to the rear subframe. It is more of a dead load and won't bounce, so to speak.
However, still no harm in having a stiffy kit or other aftermarket rear grab handle.
This makes a lot of sense, IMHO.

Why I'm not planning on adding stiffy kit to my bike after buying a used Pirates Lair passenger backrest, that will be used sporadically when I have a passenger, and also to allow me to strap a medium duffel back to the passenger seat as needed, without having any worries about it falling off the back of the bike (don't ask me why I am worried that such a thing might happen, lol.....)

2014 FJR1300A

Burning it up in the Desert Southwest

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page