I'm selling my 2019 ES - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I'm selling my 2019 ES

The reason is I can't handle the weight of the bike.
That fact became evident yesterday at a stop sign. I tipped over to the right and had to drop it, lifting up on the RH handle bar grip was not going to save it, I'm just not strong enough so I had to let it go.
The T-Rex crash bar set saved some damage but unfortunately I was over near the shoulder and the crash bars dug into the roadside gravel so I have a few dings in the upper fairing and some scratches in the RH side pannier. The RH mirror is destroyed.

I can put up some pics later but if your up in Maine and want to make an offer I'll be more than fair. I'm willing to take some financial pain and write it off as a part of getting older.

PM me if interested.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 07:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Junk, so sorry to hear of your misfortune. Kind of been going through some of the same due to back problems but I haven’t dropped mine yet. One piece of advice I took from an earlier “the ferret” post was I removed my Shad 50l topbox which really surprised me by how much top heaviness it removed, kind of surprised me plus also a surprise was a small improvement in fuel economy.

“The ferret” also removed the saddle bags which he claimed was quite noticeable, just some suggestions that may help. And if none of this helps enough then I see you have a Kawasaki GPZ 750 turbo that should be an absolute hoot to ride. Personally I regularly ride my 76 g-wing that I bought new or my 81 CBX when I don’t feel up to doing the weight of the fjr or just maybe need another feel. Good luck to you!
RERJr likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 08:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sorry to hear also, I took a direction on a lighter bike I can enjoy just as much. GLWS.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 AM
FJR Top Gun

Yea these big sport tourers can be a handful at slow speed or stopped. Dropped mine on rh side 6 weeks after I got it turning around in a gravel parking lot on a trip. Took 3 guys to pick the whale up lol. Broke my left elbow and had to ride it back toward home about 250 miles in a lot of pain. Finally had to have my wife and son meet me about 60 miles from home. He rode the bike back, wife took me to emergency room. 6 weeks off the bike in a cast and recovered just in time for another scheduled trip. Was real careful where I turned around on that one lol.

Taking off the bags and trunk make a big difference, maybe 50 pounds, getting it down to about 600 pounds maybe, but of course on a trip you need those things. Day rides are easier without them though for me. It's now close to 2 years since I dropped it, and never want to experience that again lol. I also lowered the bike 1/2" and wear waffle stomper boots so I could get better footing, but then again I am a munchkin at 5' 5 1/2" and 70 years old. Like a Keebler elf I tell ya.

Glad you weren't hurt on your drop. If you still think the bike is too heavy and want to keep riding, a change is a understandable and probably necessary. Shame, they are great bikes.
sgoat and bounce like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-25-2020 at 09:32 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I also have a 14 FJR that has gotten a bit heavy over the years. What did I do? I went and got a 2019 Versys 1000LT SE which is about 80lbs lighter than the FJR. I was going to trade the FJR in on it but just could not part with that beautiful red of the 2014 FJR. So I now have the FJR and the Versys. The Versys is taller than the FJR. I also have a 2013 V-Strom 650 which is the most comfortable, and easiest to maneuver around the garage. I tend to ride it a bit more than the others. It weighs only 460 pounds. Again a beautiful red. What are you planning on replacing your FJR with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5417.JPG (423.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4305.JPG (235.2 KB, 24 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thanks guys, I appreciate the understanding and support... I could do without the horror stories tho Ferret. LMAO! Sad to hear about the elbow, must've hurt like a SOB.

No top trunk on mine to remove so no gain there for me. There was nothing outstandingly unusual about the intersection so there isn't anything that I could do to avoid it except maybe just run every stop sign. LOL. But even aside from stop signs and traffic lights, I live about 3/4 of a mile of dirt road in from the paved road.... I don't know how many Hail Mary's I go thru in my head getting back to my house.

As Passx noticed, I still have my feather weight (by comparison) 1984 Kawi Gpz 750 Turbo to keep me from quitting riding cold turkey.

If I can't sell it on my own, I may pretty it back up again and go trade it towards a side-by-side ATV with a dump bed. Not going to rush into things, buy what I absolutely need to buy (mirror) plus a fair amount of sanding, filler, primer and paint.
the Ferret likes this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
I also have a 14 FJR that has gotten a bit heavy over the years. What did I do? I went and got a 2019 Versys 1000LT SE which is about 80lbs lighter than the FJR.
80 pounds is worth that much effort?

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Honestly, being 6ft tall and a pretty fit 190, the bike is not horrible to deal with, but if i was not those dimensions or taller i could totally see why this bike would be a handful and a half. Its totally not in the usual character of Japan as far as dimensions. The FJR feels like its made for large norseman...lol

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
80 pounds is worth that much effort?
At 71 years old it is not a matter of worth or needs, it comes down to wants and desires. Life is getting shorter at 71, so enjoy as much as one can.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the understanding and support... I could do without the horror stories tho Ferret. LMAO! Sad to hear about the elbow, must've hurt like a SOB.

No top trunk on mine to remove so no gain there for me. There was nothing outstandingly unusual about the intersection so there isn't anything that I could do to avoid it except maybe just run every stop sign. LOL. But even aside from stop signs and traffic lights, I live about 3/4 of a mile of dirt road in from the paved road.... I don't know how many Hail Mary's I go thru in my head getting back to my house.

As Passx noticed, I still have my feather weight (by comparison) 1984 Kawi Gpz 750 Turbo to keep me from quitting riding cold turkey.

If I can't sell it on my own, I may pretty it back up again and go trade it towards a side-by-side ATV with a dump bed. Not going to rush into things, buy what I absolutely need to buy (mirror) plus a fair amount of sanding, filler, primer and paint.
Ugggh if I had to ride a 3/4 miles of dirt road to get to a surface street I don't think own my FJR lol.

Sorry about the horror story, but I thought you might like to know you are not the only one who drops them and it could have been worse. Yea it was pretty painful. Just an afterthought now though.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page