I'm selling my 2019 ES - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 02:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Any motorized cycle can be too much if it gets past a certain point. The trick is to have your body keep the scooter upright without you having to think about it. If we can't do that, we will probably have to make other arrangements. After a certain number of birthdays, the weightlifting doesn't work very well any more... Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I too have been feeling the weight lately, and looking around for 'lighter'. Sat on a 2019 Ducati Multistrada 1260S and was pleasantly surprised to be able to get both feet flat on the ground. The redesigned seat, ( for '19 ) makes it so. I'm 5'9" on a good day, ( 72 yrs...) and have a 30" inseam.
The Ducati ain't cheap, and as appealing as it is, I'm loathe to give up the protection from the elements that the FJR provides...its minimal on the Multistrada

2016 FJR 1300A, GPS, bar risers, top case, touring windshield.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Hey there:

I understand a heavy bike. I had a 2006 BMW K1200LT 880 lbs. with half tank of gas. Top heavy and very bad at slow speeds. I got the How to Ride Like a Pro video and learned how to use my clutch and rear brake at slow speeds and U-turns. It made all the difference even two up. Now the FJR seems like a small bike compared to the BMW. We all have to keep learning and the FJR being 200 lbs lighter doesn't hurt

Cheers,

XS110
Marmite likes this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakfrost View Post
I too have been feeling the weight lately, and looking around for 'lighter'. Sat on a 2019 Ducati Multistrada 1260S and was pleasantly surprised to be able to get both feet flat on the ground. The redesigned seat, ( for '19 ) makes it so. I'm 5'9" on a good day, ( 72 yrs...) and have a 30" inseam.
The Ducati ain't cheap, and as appealing as it is, I'm loathe to give up the protection from the elements that the FJR provides...its minimal on the Multistrada
I put 7500 miles on my 19 Multistrada between Dec and June. Great bike and the weather protection is much better than you would think looking at the bike. When I got back on my FJR the weight and width of the bike was shocking and I sold it. At 57 30 inseam it was always a challenge. Now riding a Super Adventure with e ridiculously high seat but the bike is lighter and the seat is narrow so I feel pretty comfortable with it.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakfrost View Post
I put 7500 miles on my ‘19 Multistrada between Dec and June. Great bike and the weather protection is much better than you would think looking at the bike. When I got back on my FJR the weight and width of the bike was shocking and I sold it. At 5’7” 30” inseam it was always a challenge. Now riding a Super Adventure with e ridiculously high seat but the bike is lighter and the seat is narrow so I feel pretty comfortable with it.
I’m just an occasional lurker here, but I want to chime in that a BMW R1200R (mine 2012) is ~450 lbs dry. You guys having weight issues should test one of those. The horizontal cylinders really get the weight down low!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The thought of getting a lighter bike does sound attractive and I already own the Kawi Gpz750 Turbo as my emotional support toy so like Donk and others on here I will sadly part with my FJR. It's a shame, I REALLY like the FJR. The recent mishap, although quite minor, has me convinced it was just a sign that I'm all done with heavy bikes. Yes, what just happened seems so trivial but like most mishaps it could have been so much worse as in: what if I came to a stop and tipped over into the path of a vehicle coming up along side me? That thought keeps creeping back into my mind. Heck I traded in a 900 pound Yamaha cruiser for the FJR so as heavy as we all know the FJR to be, it was SO MUCH lighter than what I was always riding before.

In summary:
Getting older sucks! 8-(
justacrossthehill likes this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 07-31-2020 at 01:03 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Getting older is better than the alternative. Giving up heavy bikes is a small price to pay, there are lots of lighter bikes out there that we can continue to ride. Knowing when to go lighter is one of the benefits the wisdom of age brings. When most of us started a 650 Triumph was a big bike yet now a days going down to a 650 seems small. Keep riding within your comfort zone and enjoy the fact that youre riding. We all make too much of an issue in our own heads about it. As much as we all like the FJR it isn't the easiest bike, especially if like me youve got short legs. The trend in the industry is toward smaller and lighter bikes and its a shame some of the mid sized bikes offered in Europe arent available here. Im not wishing for the good old days but maybe we need to to reset the motorcycle size meter back to our youth?
Chicago_FJR and Versatek6 like this.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
The reason is I can't handle the weight of the bike.
PM me if interested.

I am sorry to hear about this and wish you all the best. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted, please!
Patrick
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:06 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorius View Post
Im just an occasional lurker here, but I want to chime in that a BMW R1200R (mine 2012) is ~450 lbs dry. You guys having weight issues should test one of those. The horizontal cylinders really get the weight down low!
If Honda or Yamaha made it I would. Don't trust BMW any more.

I can envision a new maxi scooter in a couple of years.I had a 400 majesty for a couple of years and it was a great scooter. I hear Honda is bringing out a new 350 Forza and maybe Yamaha will bring in the 500 touring scooter they have in Europe.
Donk likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
80 pounds is worth that much effort?
It's not only the 80 pounds in some instances. It's where the weight is among other factors. My Goldwing, though heavier, was easier to save when I got off balance than the FJR is. The bars were wider for more leverage, and the seat was lower so I could get my feet under me better.

I'm looking at lighter bikes myself. My problem is that everything I consider is taller than the FJR. I'm just not ready for a cruiser.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page