Value of our used bikes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Value of our used bikes

I currently joined the site recently looking for a FJR to go with my 2019 Goldwing Tour as a second bike, I also joined a Concours group to check out that bike also. What I’m noticing is all of us believe our bikes are worth more than the market will bare. New bikes are way down in sales throughout all the makes in the industry, but especially in the sport/tour market. I test rode a new 2018 from a dealer a couple days ago, In talking with him I asked why he’d didn’t have any 19’s or 20’s his response was I can’t sell a 18 so I’m not going to inventory a newer one, I have heard this from two dealers now 😢 They are pricing these bikes way down as new just trying to move them, so reality is used pricing will take a hit. I have noticed both with the FJR & Concours bikes for sale on the sites have set for long periods of time with no sale? Reality is unless we find buyers by chance that are looking for something that has are special Farkels, it’s going to be tough to move. I totally understand with the money spent on extras are hope is to get some of that back, but it’s rare. What I’m seeing is, unless we are willing to get near dealer trade value, it’s probably going to sit on the market for some time. Believe me I see that in the Goldwing market also.
vzhq16 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It is normal for aftermarket add ons to add little or nothing to resale. Cars or bikes. No problem finding new year model bikes here. They’re moving fairly well.
passx, N4HHE, vzhq16 and 2 others like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:17 AM
FJR Top Gun

I have no illusions as to what my bike is worth and to me it is of no consequence. I bought it to ride and I do. When I am done with it, it won't be worth anything...maybe someone will buy it for parts. That's what happened with my last one lol.

There is currently a 14 for sale here for $7500 and another 14 with a bunch of farkles for $8900. Less than half the price of a new one with no farkles, and less miles than I have on my 18. I think those are pretty reasonable for a fully faired and bagged 1400cc sport tourer with shaft and cruise and abs etc.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 03-07-2020 at 11:23 AM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRider View Post
I currently joined the site recently looking for a FJR to go with my 2019 Goldwing Tour as a second bike, I also joined a Concours group to check out that bike also. What I’m noticing is all of us believe our bikes are worth more than the market will bare. New bikes are way down in sales throughout all the makes in the industry, but especially in the sport/tour market. I test rode a new 2018 from a dealer a couple days ago, In talking with him I asked why he’d didn’t have any 19’s or 20’s his response was I can’t sell a 18 so I’m not going to inventory a newer one, I have heard this from two dealers now 😢 They are pricing these bikes way down as new just trying to move them, so reality is used pricing will take a hit. I have noticed both with the FJR & Concours bikes for sale on the sites have set for long periods of time with no sale? Reality is unless we find buyers by chance that are looking for something that has are special Farkels, it’s going to be tough to move. I totally understand with the money spent on extras are hope is to get some of that back, but it’s rare. What I’m seeing is, unless we are willing to get near dealer trade value, it’s probably going to sit on the market for some time. Believe me I see that in the Goldwing market also.
Michigan, too funny, it seems you and I have something in common when it comes to bike choices, see picture attached of my trio that I had in my garage not long ago

"Value of used bikes" here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in my personal experience is excellent. I bought and sold a few bikes and never lost any money. Here the ridding season is relatively short due to long cold spells, therefore most bikes are low mileage and in very good condition, and especially when it comes to bikes like Concourse, FJR, 1600GT ,RT, ST1300, Trophy,Wings etc, mostly owned (and babied) my mature and responsible owners. You simply can't go wrong buying one of these bikes second hand. Some other markets might be different but here in Calgary it's very good when buying and selling bikes. Even buying from a dealer, like you said when it comes to FJR's, they are not exactly "flying of the shelves" and for the same reason I bought a brand new out of the crate '17ES, compared to some other things (i.e. $8K electric bicycle) I feel my $17K (all in) was a bargain deal.
Funny thing is that dealers are not making any effort in price reduction to move some other brands i.e. BMW bikes, even the new WingTour DCT at $35K seems a bit overpriced.

Bottom line we all know once you step into the "motorcycling world" it does get expensive, but it fills your heart and make you smile, and that's what counts, we will all expire one day soon, enjoy your toys you earned it ...and wash your hands,wash your hands,wash your hands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160603_115056 (2).jpg (291.0 KB, 29 views)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Damir

Very nice stable Damir. Hoping to find a reasonably priced FJR or Connie at some point. 👍
Damir likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 06:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Gold Wings are made to be ridden and most come with another level of farkling above our FJRs. Lots of panels and room for switches and gear. Mine is a tolling Cadillac on two wheels. Right now those Gen I's are a steal just have to farkles heavy right away. Got mine with 16K miles for $8K two years ago.

For $6,000 to $8,000, you can find a nice 1st or 2nd gen FJRs with low miles and farkles here. Just can't see myself buying a vehicle new and would rather have someone else take to big depreciation hit. Plenty of great used FJRs and other sport tourer for sale around Seattle as too many high tech workers like the idea of motorbiking but ride little and then sell cheap. That's when I pick up those bikes cheap.

Just buy smart off season with a pressured seller who just lost interest.
RaYzerman and MichiganRider like this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)

Last edited by jtdunc; 03-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Ill never get rid of mine, but when the time comes (retirement) I will add a wing & an off road of some type.
MichiganRider likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRider View Post
Very nice stable Damir. Hoping to find a reasonably priced FJR or Connie at some point. 👍
Thank you.
Keep in mind ridding a Connie you will have to visit gas stations more often due to small tank, one of the reasons I sold mine (no cruise also), otherwise sweet engine, butter smooth transmission, I liked the look of C14 better then FJR, when it comes to handling, FJR is better IMHO, the C14 FOB was hit or miss even with new battery. Some C14 owners claim it's more labor intensive to work on this bike, especially with the tuperware (compared to FJR). I would suggest you find a decent FJR first, especially if you can find '16 and up, with all LED lights, 6 speed, slipper assist clutch, easy pull on clutch lever, cruise, ES etc. Cheers
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

I am both a huge motorcycle and car nut. I’ve pissed away a whole lot of money on cars. And don’t even get me started on the fast boats I’ve owned. When I buy a car I lose $20,000 when I sign the contract on it (my last several cars have listed in the $70-75,000 range.

The most I can possibly lose on my FJR is $15,000 because that’s what I paid for it. It makes it easier for me to put in in perspective like that. And in 2019 I put 17,000 miles on the FJR and 5,000 on my car. Another 21,000 on the two bikes combined. The most expensive bikes are the ones that don’t get ridden.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:29 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
MichiganRider, you are correct. But that is happening in all segments of motorcycling. HD, although still inflated prices, no longer commands the resale they once did, as much as that segment wants it to. So, so many up for resale.
Dealers obviously want to stock what is selling at that time. In all my years of motorcycling, every dealer is always busting at the seams with bikes on the floor. The bike that I was interested in was never on the floor and when I bought, they had to get it from another dealer. The '14 FJR was the only bike I ever bought that was on the dealer's floor. The '14's had just came out in March of that year and I happen to catch it on the floor and bought it. It was obvious the salesman had no idea about the FJR by his responses to my questions. I can't blame him, so many models, so many nuances. I like the ADV bikes, bought I know my off road days are behind me. I move around on the FJR but no wheres close to what is needed off road as I used to be able to do. Off road, timing is everything, and I just ain't got that time no mo! So, unlike many I buy to keep, as @the Ferret says.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page