Value of our used bikes - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 03:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Ill never get rid of mine, but when the time comes (retirement) I will add a wing & an off road of some type.
The Wing is the cat's meow for touring!

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 07:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

As I have said before my retirement gig is working at one of if not the largest used bike dealer in the US. We have about 500 bikes in inventory and never below 350. I’m no expert but the folks there have been kind enough to let me see the inner working of the world of a motorcycle dealer. New prices are simply a matter of supply and demand. If there are leftovers then the price goes down as dealers try to turn their inventory. All bikes drop 25-30% the first year of ownership, some more and that’s 25-30% from the lowest new price out there not from the retail price. No bike holds it’s value for the first couple of years. After that some bikes depreciate faster than others, some bike prices stabilize others drop like a stone. For example Triumphs have terrible resale value, don’t ask me why but they depreciate faster than most other used bikes. On the premium models both European and Japanese prices tend to stabilize faster. Add to that what bikes are in currently in vogue, how clean a bike is, mileage etc. OEM accessories can add value, most farkles don’t. Certain bikes seem to have a stronger used market than others, for example VStrom 650s are always good sellers. From what I’ve seen FJRs hold their value better than Concours, although a good clean one of either sells well. Some model used bikes are in demand and bring over “book” value. Any bike that looks like it’s been rode hard and put away wet isn’t going to be attractive to a dealer of a customer.

For me buying a year old used bike works best. There is always someone who bought a bike, put minimal miles on it, kept it unmolested in like new condition and has decided to move on. If I can save a few $ over new than I’m happy. I don’t waste time low balling people because it seldom works and makes the whole experience adversarial. Some people prefer to buy new and that’s great too. Motorcycles are not a monetary investment, they are an investment in enjoyment. Pay what you’re comfortable with and forget about what it’s going to be worth in the future. Ride it and enjoy it. Anything you get back at the end is found money.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 03-09-2020 at 07:28 AM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I agree not buying new, the retail world all wants us to buy the next best thing, but the depreciation..... I know people who can't stand to have a two year old car and buy new every two years.... same with bikes... I was looking at a new Tracer GT, and have decided I want a used one some day maybe... MSRP is rather high IMHO. I'll even take a crashed one because I have no problem fixing anything myself.
By contrast, I have two used Hondas, a CBF1000 to replace the FJR and a VFR to play with... both are older reliable bikes, the CBF 10 years old 10k mileage, the VFR 20 years old and 60k...... grand total purchase price for both under $6k plus some money to equip them for me.... not everyone wants to do that, I get that too, but my fun for dollar value is quite high. I doubt I can wear these two out, and I still don't know if I really want the Tracer or not.
Be patient, there's always a deal out there, a couple of recent FJR's for sale had little mileage on them, prices less than half of new........

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

Donk .. that is a brilliant response.

Thank you for expressing exactly what I think.
Donk likes this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 10:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hmmm, it all depends...... I just bought this past week a 2015 Impala ltz2 with 29k on it, a new one is in the $32-40k range and this was a personal owned vehicle at $19k , nota great price but not bad, Pricing on the 2014-2019 impalaís is all over with the most being fleet or rental vehicles that NADA/Bluebook says is $1k-$1500 off the suggested retail, but nobody selling them recognized that with pricing being in the $15k to $23k range and 60k mi to 100k plus mi and most sellers/dealers not caring that their car had +100k miles or reflecting that in their pricing.

So that said, over the past 20-40yrs I have generally just bought new mostly because used was so close to the price of just buying new that comes with a warranty, never driven/ridden smoked in and if you finance it the finance rates are usually much lower on new and puts it into basically the same pricing as a used piece... Again it kinda all depends,, and usually bought from an individual is usually less than from a dealer because there is no overhead to pay for unless the dealer is really motivated. Ya gotta do your homework, it took me about 6-8 wks of researching and homework before I found my Impala, same when I bought my 2014 fjr, took me about 6mos before I found the ďoneĒ and pulled the trigger.

The Impala ? It is the fastest color red of course ! Nearly the same shade as my 14a fjr, depending on the source at GM itís either Spicy Red or Arrest-Me-Red,,,,, I likely ! Did I mention I really like red ?😁😁😁😁😁😁
FJRChuck and Donk like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Motorcycles are not a monetary investment, they are an investment in enjoyment. Pay what youíre comfortable with and forget about what itís going to be worth in the future. Ride it and enjoy it. Anything you get back at the end is found money.
Well said, think of it as a paid entertainment where you are 100% guaranteed to be satisfied, and you still end up with some residual $$$ when you sell.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

I have bought new and used, but prefer buying new. Then I know what I am getting and it's protected by a warranty if an issue crops up during the first year. On a used bike, you just never know what the PO did to the vehicle he's selling. Wreck and repair? Hammered on? Shifted without the clutch? Lent to his buddies who really didn't know how to ride? Spent half it's life banging off the rev limiter? Never changed the oil/filter, or the other fluids. Worked on by home garage mechanics that didn't have the right tools and had no idea what they were doing. They will tell you anything to try and sell it to you. The proverbial " only ridden to church on Sunday's by a little old lady story". If the bike has been altered in any way from the factory I will pass on it. but that's just me. I've ridden with enough other riders over the years, been to dozens of rallies and events, seen how bikes were ridden, to know that I wouldn't want many of their bikes after they decided to sell them. Heck I've seen Goldwing riders (who one thinks of as dodering old seniors), doing big smoky burnouts, wheelies, power skids etc. I spent 17 years working in motorcycle shops and saw first hand how most motorcycles are treated, and they are not treated kindly. Abused, ignored, neglected.

How many times have you read a thread where a guy says I just bought this used bike, and it jumps out of second gear. Well, we all know what causes that, running it up and banging it into second. But the seller never says "Oh yea, it pops out of second gear" when selling it. And someone gets stuck with either an expensive transmission job, or that guy pawns it off on the next person without telling THEM it pops out of second gear. We just had one of those threads on this site within the last couple of months. I don't care to own a bike that has been ridden like that.

The other day I was up at my local shop and there was a partially dismantled FJR. Early model, silver. I walked over for a look and saw the battery cover was off and turned over upside down and there was a cluster f of non factory wiring leading to a couple of switches mounted in the battery cover. I asked what was up. Owner decided to add some auxilliary lights by himself and a headlight modulator and now none of the lights worked. Home modified wiring. Had to take it in to the shop and let someone figure it out and getting things working again. Seen it a million times.

So to insure that I don't buy any of those issues, I buy new. For me, buy new, break it on how I like, ride it how I like it to be ridden, do my maintenance and for the most part I will be assured of a dependable vehicle I can trust won't leave me stranded out on the highway in some desolate spot. Not a 100% guarantee, but the odds are much better IMO. Paying for piece of mind I guess.
passx, Damir and hANNAbONE like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I was scarred by the unreliability of my BMW RT. So I tend to buy new and warranted now, because I ride the piss out of them all over **** and back.

My BMW brought 1,000 over bluebook and had somewhere around 70 or 80,000 miles when I got rid of it.

My 2014 FJR was purchased new and brought $100 over bluebook with over 80,000 miles on it, when I traded it in on a 2018.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 01:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I agree not buying new, the retail world all wants us to buy the next best thing, but the depreciation..... I know people who can't stand to have a two year old car and buy new every two years.... same with bikes... I was looking at a new Tracer GT, and have decided I want a used one some day maybe... MSRP is rather high IMHO. I'll even take a crashed one because I have no problem fixing anything myself.
By contrast, I have two used Hondas, a CBF1000 to replace the FJR and a VFR to play with... both are older reliable bikes, the CBF 10 years old 10k mileage, the VFR 20 years old and 60k...... grand total purchase price for both under $6k plus some money to equip them for me.... not everyone wants to do that, I get that too, but my fun for dollar value is quite high. I doubt I can wear these two out, and I still don't know if I really want the Tracer or not.
Be patient, there's always a deal out there, a couple of recent FJR's for sale had little mileage on them, prices less than half of new........
Most of my bikes are 40plus years old. I have bought several new bikes in the past but tend to buy used. I like to have the original buyers take the hit on depreciation, thank you . Here is one I just restored for a friend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walters 2nd copy.jpg (418.3 KB, 14 views)
FJRChuck and passx like this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, I tend to establish a good relationship with the seller and ask some questions, and never be in a hurry... and of course if you go look at the bike you can tell for the most part, but ask the right questions and..... if the seller is evasive, and you don't feel good about it, then move on to the next one.
But I don't buy all the horror stories, sure I know some have been abused, but for the vast majority of used bikes are just fine. A second gear thing would piss me off of course, but I also know it's just $300 in parts... lotta labour though.
Boyitgobob, passx and cra-z1 like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page