Too Soon Hoons ? - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer View Post
@Benhameen - it would be great to have you as some of us (me) are running out of new stories to tell 🙂 You know that you’re around really good friends when they listen enthusiastically to a story they have heard for the 5th time !!

This might be a good time for the “Hoon ride disclosure” :

- NOTHING is planned other than the weekend we will show up and what 2 star hotel to stay at. Y’all can stay wherever you want.

- The ride routes are usually made up the night before the ride. There is normally a person attending that knows the roads.

- If you do not have group riding experience please tell someone that sounds like they do 🙂

- We all ride our own ride but there are some LOOSE guidelines. We all follow the route if riding with the “group”. Usually we have what I call “micro-groups” (e.g. The Hoon group, The Spirited but sane group & I’ll be there in a minute group). I am the later...and proud of it.

- The faster folks (Hoons) will pick waypoints along the route to stop and wait for the rest to catch up.

- Rinse , lather , repeat....until we end up back at the aforementioned 2 star hotel for adult beverages and a candid debrief of you entire life to everyone !!!

- No sponsors here, no raffles and very little organization. It’s kind of the theme if you haven’t guessed that by now. Although....I have seen some spectacular logistical genius with beer run planning.....
Sounds good to me!

Is Gassville “wet” or do I need to bring beer? I know theres a lot of “dry” counties down that way. I can drink some beer...

I have no problem following a group, Although, I’m not sure which “group” I’ll fall into.

What’s the typical number of miles ran on Saturday?

Maintain universal balance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I’m pretty sure Gassville is wet....

As far as the length of ride on Saturday , I might have to defer to Liquid or TW on that one. Sometimes we spilt groups depending upon circumstance. But....I’m thinking somewhere between 250-300 miles for the day. I’m really bad at recalling miles traveled.

If some of y’all go out on Friday , post the route and I’ll try to catch up with you somewhere.

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 12:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

1) Gassville is wet.

2) I'll post up some GPS routes several days in advance. The key to the routes is 'being somewhat circular.' Then when somebody gets tired of wearing out the sides of their tires, they can just point to the barn (or luxury accommodations) and commence with the priority activity, beer drinking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The rules as I know them.

1) Ride your own ride, as if you were riding alone and not in a group. Too many group rides end in a hospital visit because somebody was trying to keep up with somebody. I want to ride MY own pace without worrying that somebody behind me is getting red-faced (like I get when unsuccessfully trying to keep up with Jason DiSalvo at any track) and may be riding over his/her head. If I'm in a group, I generally slow down in the straights, and I'm happy about that. My trick is to set a top speed, like 70 or 75... might suck for somebody that likes to do 90mph in the straights, but the local sheriffs get less and less friendly closer to the 80 mark. (and if you like that, you can go on ahead of me)

I like to see smiling faces at the next intersection, not somebody that just saw Jesus. Questions on that part?

Over the years, I've found that there are really only mere moments of difference in the arrival times between guys going hard and guys going semi-leisurely.

2) If you are riding in a group, keep watch for the guy behind you and make sure you see him in your mirrors once in a while. There should be lots and lots of space between bikes for when Bambi, Thumper and that dumbass vulture jump out on these very rural roads.

3) We pass liberally but very safely and politely. I never pass because the guy in front of me did. I only pass when I see the way clear. I have ridden with guys that used hand signals to pass over rises and blind corners, but I don't trust you (or myself) that much and it scares the bejeesus out of the people you're passing. Please do it decisively but only when you can see it's safe. You'll see that I wave at the vehicles I pass like they waved me by. I think it makes everybody friendlier.

If somebody is a *timid* passer, that is where a group really gets massive delays and then the passed vehicles catch up with the first passers and it becomes a clusterfuck. If you are a timid passer, we may politely ask if you can start your own sub-group and drive behind the RVs all you want. Seriously, there's no disrespect in it, but if groups break out, it's better if they're more homologous in behaviors. There will still be plenty of time to catch up at the fuel docks and places of food intake.

4) If you want a more casual pace and you find that the group is disappearing in the distance more than you'd like, FEEL FREE to make yourself 'your own group.' I'm very happy when guys do this, because they accomplish the 'ride your own ride' mantra in full. They run the route, or variances on the route, at their own pace and have a unique story to tell back at 'ol the Gassville Waldorf Astoria. Win win.

5) I've been a leader of many group rides where somebody gets bitten with riding over his head, or tries a pass just because the group ahead did... or swears that the tire slipped a little but later figures that he just target fixated at the edge of the road. It really messes up a good time. It is NO fun being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a destroyed bike... or a visit to the hospital... or worse. If your bike leaves the roadway on these roads, it will be destroyed and you might be too. You can't run off. If your bike is not going to make a turn, it's best to be sliding behind it, but chances are, the bike would make the turn, you just lost faith that it would. So keep your eyes pointed at the road ahead lean it over. If that scared you, take it easier.

- - -

So, back to number one... yes, just know where the fellow is behind you once in a while. If he's not showing up, maybe he's in trouble, or the guy behind him, or the guy behind him. If the fellow appears to gain on you in the corners, you may want to send him in front of you.

And to number three, these are not California Malibu canyon roads, just lots of nice sweepers and beautiful country. The roads are wide and there's often lots of room to pass, especially with a well-hung sport tourer. You shouldn't have a difficult time passing and I use my GPS to tell me when we're getting close to a town, so I can stay behind the slow mover and get the group back together.

Maybe number five is excessive, but I ride with fast guys and slow guys... I just want to ride with guys that are having fun.

Rules, rules rules. How's that for rules??

I like Budweiser Select, but I'm only finding it in STL. If I truck the bike down so I can work on the phone as I come down, I'll bring a nice supply.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Last edited by Liquidsilver; 09-14-2020 at 12:30 PM.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Benhameen, We usually dont get on the road until close to 10 in the morning to allow the critters to get off the byways, and we usually gun to be back before 6.
I cannot emphasize enough how easy it is to "ride your own ride" when with this group. When I first started riding Hoon rides in 05 I would lose sight of the "fast guys" in literally the second or third corner, and they would always be waiting at the next road change...and it was only til later when I got a little quicker and was with the fast guy group I realized it was only seconds that the guys have to wait for everyone to appear. NO-body is being put out or inconvenienced by making sure everyone is safe and feels confident. So dont worry at all about your perceived pace, ride your pace and enjoy the ride!

May the wind take your troubles away.

Last edited by TrainWreck; 09-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guys, all the “rules” seem very reasonable. I’m not a super aggressive rider but love the corners. I’d like to get some pointers on better or proper cornering technique.

Not sure about my buddy but I’m in!

I may end up bringing a couple specialty beers that I’ve been holding onto from a local brewer. Peace offering if you will for letting me join the group.

Good chance I’ll be leaving Southern Illinois pretty early on Friday. It’s 270 miles from here, which means I’ll be down for some riding Friday afternoon.

Looking forward too riding with you hoons. ..

Maintain universal balance
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:50 PM
Training wheels fitted!

For those unfamiliar with AR roads - most of the roads worth riding are chip-seal surface, and the state has been busy the past couple of years resurfacing many of them. Earlier this year AR14 from AR125 to Yellville was done, no warning signs, and they left gravel everywhere - hitting that at 80 mph was no fun. It is clear of gravel now. AR 27 west of Marshall ~10mi or so was also done 6-8 weeks ago (at least it did have warning signs). Parts of AR16, from Boston east to AR7 I think, was done a month or so ago. Someone with "Let's Ride Arkansas" FB group called the state a few weeks ago and they are supposedly cleaning things up. There has also been an online petition to the state started.

Just as important - these roads eat tires. The chip is crushed rock with very sharp edges. Great traction (if there isn't loose chip) but it sheers rubber from tires. It takes several years for the chip edges to wear down and fill with dirt and rubber. A lot of the roads have been resurfaced in the last few years, so wear rates are high. I realize it's only 300 to maybe 500 mi (if you ride some of them coming in) but 500 mi on these roads can be like 1,500 mi on smooth asphalt. Depends on how aggressive a rider you are - smell the roses types may not notice, but as the corner speed, braking, and throttle out of corners goes up, so does wear rate.

Last edited by OSU55; 09-14-2020 at 05:55 PM.
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

@ben ham - “ Peace offering if you will for letting me join the group“

That’s a hoot !!!

You belong to the Hoons by nature of loving beer......uh.....riding!!! Either one works for us 🙂

We look forward to telling you stories about our friends and fellow Hoons.

@ Liquid - I’m especially impressed that you got by the board censors and let everyone know that we can freely use the word clusterfuck !

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU55 View Post
For those unfamiliar with AR roads - most of the roads worth riding are chip-seal surface, and the state has been busy the past couple of years resurfacing many of them. Earlier this year AR14 from AR125 to Yellville was done, no warning signs, and they left gravel everywhere - hitting that at 80 mph was no fun. It is clear of gravel now. AR 27 west of Marshall ~10mi or so was also done 6-8 weeks ago (at least it did have warning signs). Parts of AR16, from Boston east to AR7 I think, was done a month or so ago. Someone with "Let's Ride Arkansas" FB group called the state a few weeks ago and they are supposedly cleaning things up. There has also been an online petition to the state started.

Just as important - these roads eat tires. The chip is crushed rock with very sharp edges. Great traction (if there isn't loose chip) but it sheers rubber from tires. It takes several years for the chip edges to wear down and fill with dirt and rubber. A lot of the roads have been resurfaced in the last few years, so wear rates are high. I realize it's only 300 to maybe 500 mi (if you ride some of them coming in) but 500 mi on these roads can be like 1,500 mi on smooth asphalt. Depends on how aggressive a rider you are - smell the roses types may not notice, but as the corner speed, braking, and throttle out of corners goes up, so does wear rate.
^this^ is why I try to start every Hoon trip with a new set of tires front and rear, dont want to earn any "orange shirt" awards

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 02:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainWreck View Post
^this^ is why I try to start every Hoon trip with a new set of tires front and rear, dont want to earn any "orange shirt" awards
"So you fellas have no tire left out here in the Ozarks? We might be able to help... wanna buy an orange shirt?"

TrainWreck likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old Today, 11:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Two Weeks to Launch

CONFIRMED:

Benhameen
Boofer
LiquidSilver
MemphoManiac
Neville
OSU55
Triumphant Bob
2qk4u
TrainWreck

POSSIBLES?
Maximrebel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page