Huntingdon, WV July/Aug 2020 - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well howdy stranger! No time no type! We got plans already for Saturday and I've be randomly picking roads to ride Sunday. It's all good.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Sounds like a fun time. I'm in Brownsburg IN,so not too far away. Newly retired and looking for some rides. I'm going to put it on the calendar. Not sure what we have going on at that time. I would be solo unless I can get another bud to join.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Time for an update I guess.

It's a go! Of course we have no idea what'll be open or not or where we're eating, etc. but honestly we don't care. We're going!

Thus far it's just me and Rob and Ken. Hotel listing in post #2. See ya's!!

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
You guys know me, I like to plan in advance .

Hoping to head to Huntington, WV this July or August for a long Fri-Mon weekend. One other, my buddy Rob the Indian Guy is confirmed. He's been pretty reliable for the 10 or so yrs we've taken summer rides. Ken the HD Guy I'm not sure about yet.

It's very early in the plan so I haven't looked at routes or places. We've been up that way a couple times, there's not really any bad roads to be had. One ride, probably Saturday is to Columbus, OH. There's a bucket list item there plus 5 or so Diners, Drive Ins and Dives places there for lunch. Everything else we'll be winging it unless someone has a suggestion of a must see or do. https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/vie....php?f=34&t=27

Everyone is of course welcome to join us if you can. We're leisurely riders but to each his own. I'll be posting specifics as Rob, Ken & I figure them out. Our general rules:

- ride your ride;
- some folks may choose to NOT be ATGATT. If this bothers you please reconsider attending, no one wants to be lectured about how to dress. To each his own.
- no leaders, just chilled riders. I'll have Garmin waypoints & maybe routes but we're all experienced enough to figure out where we're going.
- ride your ride.
- we choose NOT to drink alcohol when riding. Your bike, your choice, we don't care, but we do reserve the right to avoid you if we feel like it. After the day, at the pool or in the parking lot, is another matter .
- bike doesn't matter, everyone is welcome so bring the wife, kid, mistress, boyfriend. Whatever. Who am I to judge ?
- we may break into smaller groups of riders so it's less stressful for everyone. Everyone is invited to go his/her/its own way if the group thing ain't your thing.
- ride your ride.
- someone try to remember some "Hello my name is" labels and a sharpie. I always forget .
- I plan for stuff for me and my regular riding buds, no one's feelings will be hurt if someone comes but does different stuff. To each his/her/its own. We chill. Ride some, rest some, eat & drink some, repeat. It's vacation, we relax.

HOLY COW! Not only are you coming up to my neck of the woods, you're heading to my hometown! My family's Yamaha/Honda/Polaris dealership is about a mile from where you're staying. (Yes, I grew up with this stuff!) I just may have to join you to Huntington & back to Columbus (if you come back this way).

Iron Pony was mentioned (and here's the stupid part), but despite living in Columbus area for over 15 years, I've never been there. If y'all go that way, I just might have to join you.

Oh, and you were chuckling at Fort Gay. That's actually just across the river and a dogleg (or two) from my family's home. Not much exciting to see there, quite honestly. That said, I don't know if the old fort is still there or not.

I've definitely got to make some time for this. Looking forward to it!

And if you see this post over in the thread I started, it's because I browsed back and didn't realize it. Oooops...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Update- still a go! Not much changed from earlier. Leaving out from my place around 8am Friday. Meeting Ken outside Roanoke, VA around 11 am. Then meander northeast to Barborsville, WV.

Saturday as posted, Sunday randomly picked 280 mile ride. How bad can it be?

See ya's around!
sector7g likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welp, we're here. PAcked, ready to go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200731_070016630.jpg (178.6 KB, 7 views)

Russ
2007A

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Meetup with Ken the HD Guy just northeast of Roanoke, VA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200731_103509430_HDR.jpg (373.7 KB, 4 views)

Russ
2007A

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

A butt break for lunch and a random pic. We're so far in the boonies they still have payphones b/c there surely ain't no cell signals out here! 390 twisty, turny miles for me on the day.

Hoping to get some pirogi in Columbus, OH today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200731_122700665_HDR.jpg (325.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200731_141028603.jpg (155.2 KB, 5 views)
FjrjrF and sector7g like this.

Russ
2007A

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:10 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I love story and pics of one's ride, looking forward to the next update

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

So Saturday morning we head off to the big city and nearly immediately come to a road closure and have to backtrack. "Oh boy", I'm thinking, "this is not a good start." But my recent skill improvements with my Garmin 595 GPS helped tremendously and off we go without a hitch through some fine country roads for a few hrs. But alas, no pirogis we'd hoped for. Place is closed. But Columbus, OH has 4 other Diner, Drive Ins & Dives so.... But we stumbled across a Greek Express place so there ya go! We zipped across town for a quick bucket list selfie and stopped in at Iron Pony Power Sports, a WalMart sized biker shopping place. Impressive. Rob the Indian Guy got himself a nice helmet, Ken and I didn't. Also got to see a new 2020 FJR ES. Meh.

We had been riding on and off in rain all day so we decided to hit the US hwys back to the motel. No biggie. We all wear 2 piece rain suits so we had the bottoms on and one time when we stopped to put the jackets on a pickup truck guy stopped and offered us his barn up on the hill for cover if we wanted to sit it out. Nice guy, young fella, we had a nice chat.

Today it looks like we might stay dry! WooHoo! Nothing special, a big loop ride into Kentucky. We're thinking maybe bbq for lunch but you never know on the road, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200801_094135187.jpg (88.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200801_094138729.jpg (73.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200801_134549675.jpg (141.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200801_140717422_HDR.jpg (163.4 KB, 4 views)
sector7g likes this.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page