SFO 2019 - October 24th thru 27th - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

SFO 2019 - October 24th thru 27th

For those that don't want to read the entire thing --- I am providing a down and dirty executive summary. However, really nothing has changed, so if you know the routine then just pluck out the necessary details. See y'all in OCTOBER!

Executive Summary

SFO will be held October 24th thru 27th in Jemison, Alabama. We'll ride during the day and eat and socialize in the evening. Dinner will be served Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. You can camp onsite for free or stay at a nearby hotel. We have a group rate at the Inn of Clanton, 12 miles from SFO Central. (see below for rate and contact info) The cost for the event is $60 per person and includes meals all three nights and tipsey taxi to and from the hotel if necessary. If all of this interest you and you aren't familiar with the details, then see The Details below. If this doesn't interest you, feel free to move on to the next thread.

The Details

After some light discussion, it was decided that we'll hold SFO at my property in Jemison, ALABAMA again this year. The only change is the date. Mrs. Bandit and I will be hosting this year at the end of October.

As many have learned over the past couple of years, there is actually some decent riding around the state of Alabama. While certainly not on par with the Ozarks or the Smokies, there are areas with some nice elevation changes, sweepers and even a few areas with some technical riding. We also have some fun dual sport riding nearby. So those of you with dual sport bikes might want to consider bringing those instead of the FJR, just a thought.

This is also posted over on the fjriders forum and fjrforum. This event is wide open to all, it doesn't have to be FJR only. So tell your non-FJR buddies as well. Generally, folks just need to be sport/adventure tour minded and you are welcome! So on with the plan -----

The Weekend

This event will be held Thursday, October 24th thru Sunday, October 27th. The average temperature at the end of October in Central Alabama typically ranges from around 45 in the morning to upper 60's lower 70's in the afternoon. In the past couple of years we have had unseasonal weather around the time of SFO. I am expecting Chamber of Commerce type weather this year!

The Location

My property is located in Jemison, AL, which is only about 30 miles south of the Birmingham suburbs. It's only one mile off of Interstate 65 at Exit 219. The site is located on 21 wooded acres of serenity and is ideal for camping, grilling and chilling.

Directions from Exit 219 to the property

The Eats

Just as last year, after we return from riding, on Friday night we'll have the low-country shrimp boil with kielbasa, corn, and potatoes and on Saturday night, Stan the Man will be preparing Boston Butt BBQ and ribs for us again this year. Of course, an assortment of pies will be available each night for dessert, or even for your main meal if you so desire! biggrin.png We'll also have something for the Thursday arrivals as well. Not sure if Mrs. Bandit will be preparing her chicken sausage gumbo or if I'll be grilling burgers, but either way, we will be serving dinner Thursday night. There will also be pastries, fruit and coffee on site each morning for the tent campers. A very large, full breakfast buffet is available at Shoney's next door to the hotel at no additional charge as it is included in your nightly room rate.

The event is BYOB - but for those that will be staying at the hotel, fear not, the tipsey taxi will be running again this year and we will get you from the hotel to SFO Central each night and back to the hotel after the festivities.

The Cost

Let's plan on $60 per person again this year, whether staying onsite or at the hotel. That will cover all three evening meals, morning pastries and coffee for those staying on site and the cost of the port-a-potty.

Method of payment - either cash or Pay Pal. [email protected] Feel free to wait until a month or so before the event to send payment.

Accommodations - Tent Campers

Just as last year, my property will be open and available for tent campers. I have plenty of space for as many tent campers as could even possibly show up. There is at least an acre of wooded area that is cleared out, grubbed and generally level. If you are camping you shouldn't have any trouble finding an ideal spot!

For those that prefer not to camp outdoors, I have a large metal building that has a 1,000 sq. ft. apartment built inside. It is complete with a full eat-in kitchen and a full bathroom. While I will be utilizing the one bedroom in the apartment, those that don't want to camp are welcomed to use the large shop area inside the larger building if you just want to throw down an air mattress. It's certainly not Holiday Inn but at least it will provide free sheltered "accommodations" and can be used by the tent campers in the unlikely event of inclement weather.

Since my apartment onsite only has one bathroom we'll also have a port-a-potty on site. While everyone is welcomed to use the facilities in the apartment, it will just be a space available issue. And you better keep it clean, or my wife will kick your ass!

Accommodations - Hotel

For those like me that need a real bed, I have arranged for a group rate at a hotel about 15 minutes away on Interstate-65. I will also arrange for transportation to and from the hotel in the evenings after we get back from riding so that you can enjoy a few adult beverages and not have to be on the bike to and from the evening festivities at the property.

The hotel recommendation is the Inn of Clanton, same place as last year. I have received zero negative feedback, only positive comments on the place over the past three years we have stayed there. It's no frills, but clean, reportedly comfortable and the price is right. They have a mini fridge in each room and the price includes a FULL breakfast from the breakfast bar at Shoney's Restaurant next door to the hotel.

The price this year is $62 for single or double, plus tax for a total of $70.68 and includes the breakfast bar next door at Shoney's each day.

Please contact the hotel directly and inform them that you will be with the SFO group to get the special rate.

Inn of Clanton
946 Lake Mitchell Road
Clanton, AL 35045
205-755-7829
I 65 - Exit 208

Current List of Attendees - (will be updated here regularly as the list grows)
As of August 16th

Camping

FJRbandit and Mrs. Bandit
Hondapotamus
FJRfarrier
Craigregs
Hppants
danh600
natehawk750
Poolboy
stose85
Uncle Hud
boozer
intech
Beemerbro
Redfish and Pops (Peach Queen Campground)
Top_Speed1 and his better half (Peach Queen Campground)

Hotel

Tyler
Abercrombie FJR (tentative)
DSbiker (and Wanda)
Kornbread
LA2wheeler
101stpathfinder (95%)
jwilly
mfletch69
Bkerchuck (and Diane)
Iris and Jim
LKLD (and his better half) wink.png
zzzzip
Allen_C
Kaismo
Graler (tentative)
blind squirrel
creg-ny-baa

Just post up in this thread if you are going to be able to make it. Please let me know whether you will be staying at the hotel or camping onsite. I need the headcount of the people staying at the hotel for tipsey taxi purposes. Also, if you want to volunteer to be a responsible tipsey taxi driver, please let me know as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Sounds like a good outing. Pardon my ignorance but what does SFO stand for?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

From all reports, this is an excellent event. I was intending to go this year and participate in all the fun, but I don't think I can unless I can work out some conflicts. Working on it!! I know most of the people on the attendance list, would like to meet those I haven't, because they are fun people.
fjrbandit likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Sounds like a good outing. Pardon my ignorance but what does SFO stand for?
Hi Donk - SFO stands for Southern FJR Owners. My apologies for the belated reply. I was on a two week ride and am just now getting settled back in and caught back up.

and Raz - I'm hoping you can get out of jail in time to make it down this year! I know it's a tough conflict, but if you need bail money just let us know. We'll pass the hat for ya.

Things are progressing nicely towards SFO 2019. We have over 40 people signed up right now, with at least 19 states represented (interestingly, the only Southern states not represented right now are Tennessee and Mississippi). With 13 tent campers currently committed we are looking at our largest camping contingent to date. Over 20 that are signed up are staying at the hotel and we have 6 staying at the nearby Peach Queen campground.

I want to remind those that will be staying at the hotel to call the hotel directly and let them know you will be with the SFO rally in order to get the group rate. Please contact the hotel directly and inform them that you will be with the SFO group to get the special rate of $62 plus tax (breakfast bar at Shoney's is included)

Inn of Clanton
946 Lake Mitchell Road
Clanton, AL 35045
205-755-7829
I 65 - Exit 208

Also, with my two week ride to New England now behind me I plan to get back on the planning for our rally rally that will be held on Saturday - I'll get the specifics together in the next couple of weeks. But if you have never participated in a rally before, then this will be just the one for you. Your participation is certainly not required, but I think you'll find it to be very low key, with minimal rules and most of all, just a fun way to see some sites you probably would otherwise never see. So think about it and if you are interested in participating and haven't already noted your interest in a post on this thread, just let me know.

Those that feel like sending in your $60 per person rally fee via Paypal - send that to [email protected] - please use the "Sending to a Friend" option so that Paypal doesn't deduct a fee from the payment. Or just bring cash to the event - that's works too. Thanks!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Just to let you know that two Mississippi riders will be attending your ride in. Downsouth and Coastscooter will be staying with family in the area. Looking forward to it!
Downsouth likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Looking forward to meeting everyone. My son lives in Calera. I will bring cash
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm out !! I fell and broke two fingers on my clutch hand. I will be in a cast for 4 more weeks.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth View Post
I'm out !! I fell and broke two fingers on my clutch hand. I will be in a cast for 4 more weeks.
oww, Oww, OWW! That hurts just reading it.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I didn't fall on my bike. I tripped over the gas hose putting gas in my truck.
I missed the Vintage festival too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

This was one heck of a great event. Probably the highlight for me was that RaYzerman made it down from Canada and I finally was able to meet him in person. Some really nice folks, a really nice time. Sadly, a LOT of rain.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page