NoMoSno 2019 - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Tbob, it was 15yrs between breaking up with my first wife, and meeting my current wife, who by the way loves riding my fjr, she gets to hug me all day long. There is some one out there for you you just have to recognize who it is, the main thing is does she tick all your boxes, and like wise for you. I never expected to find the right person, but I knew it was her the first time I we met. She is a Philippine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Well I have a room booked at the Brass Door 11th - 14th but we have flooding predicted for our area. As Mayor of Abercrombie I would guess it would be frowned upon if I hopped on a motorcycle and took off letting others deal with it. Playing it by ear.

2014 Yamaha FJR ES, 2013 Yamaha Tenere, 2006 Ducati 999 Superbike, 2008 Ducati 1100S Hypermotard, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
Playing it by ear.
Dang! Thoughts and prayers with you there... and for your neighbors.

Looking forward to drinking with you guys...

...and what else were we going to do while we're there?

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:23 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Dang! Thoughts and prayers with you there... and for your neighbors.

Looking forward to drinking with you guys...

...and what else were we going to do while we're there?

2014 Yamaha FJR ES, 2013 Yamaha Tenere, 2006 Ducati 999 Superbike, 2008 Ducati 1100S Hypermotard, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

I hope everything works out for folks that are trying to make the event. Obviously it's a very wet season for our friends to the north...and actually down here too but hopefully it won't be an issue. I plan on making it there mid afternoon on Friday the 12th weather permitting.

Please ping me with a PM for my cell and email addy so we can all be on the same page.

I did buy an Ozark Butler map for the trip and soon will be getting a Cardo Packtalk Slim headset to be able to "Mesh up" for the trip. If that works for anyone... I have other trips planned but that set up looks really enticing.

Looking forward to it!

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Brent, I'll share some GPS routes soon. I'll also try to write up a turn-by-turn. If all group plans fail (and sometimes they just do) there's still cold beers waiting at the hotel at the end of the day and we can bullshit about it there.

For any that haven't ridden hoon-style yet, I'd better write this down:

1) We don't want to ride parade-style, since there are many different preferences for riding and we like lots of distance between riders (like standing at the urinal), but if we're all on the same roads, we'll all hit the same spots. Even if we're all riding the same speed, give it some space. If deer want to hit us, they'll have to take us one at a time.

2) If we DO try to ride in one big group, each person should ride his/her own ride and just keep sight of the person behind you *once in a while.* That way somebody can sport it up if he/she wants and not worry about somebody getting dangerous, trying ride outside his/her comfort zone to keep up. If you ride slow, then ride slow and have fun doing it. I only get offended when I hear that somebody behind me 'scared himself' trying to keep up with the group. Remember, when I'm leading a group, I feel like I'm toodling. Second and third riders may think so too... but with the accordion effect with bikes further back, the tail can get whipping and I've heard stories of guys making mistakes 'back there.' Don't do this. We stop and wait at the road changes and we want to see a gleeful grin when you come rolling up. If you're riding crazy or outside your comfort zone, I don't want to ride with you, so please 'ride your own ride' and have fun. Two of my dearest friends died on group rides (not mine) and I've had enough trouble wanting to do group rides because of this... 'nuff said?

3) When I'm riding with someone wanting to ride a little slower, I just have my fun and then slow down in the long straights until I see a headlight or two coming along. As I said, if I'm leading a group, I'll be going very casually in the straights, but I don't slow down much (or I may speed up a little) in the turns. That way, if people take the corners more casually than me... they can quickly reel me back in on the straights. I've been at the tail end of rides with squids that didn't set an upper speed limit, and it caused guys to ride like their asses were on fire. I won't do that on the street again. Fast is for the racetrack (where I had the pleasure of riding with Mathew Scholtz and Garett Gerloff last weekend, **** they're fast) but I'm only willing to do 'briskly' on the street.

4) We love Arkansas because there's little traffic on the roads we like... and the beautiful countryside. But even in the light traffic, passing other vehicles tends to separate the groups the most. On a modern motorcycle, your passing should be effortless, quick and safe. Some groups do a hand signal around a blind turn to tell riders behind that it's okay to pass. I DON'T do this. I have my reasons... beside the reason that it can scare the bejesus out of the vehicles being passed. Just because your buddy in front of you thinks it's safe to pass... it may not be. YOU have to make the decision for yourself. A bike going around a vehicle (with a nice wave) is one thing, but when five guys take a pass at the same time, cousin Ed tends to get mad - and gets on the cellphone with cousin Cletus - and he knows the Sheriff. Yes, it's happened to me on multiple occasions. So we do pass, but we do it friendly-like and respecting the other vehicles. (Another passing story had to do with chipseal pavement tinging a vehicle as we passed... I guess I'd be a little pissed too if it were my truck) The last note on passing: when I get a few miles from the next highway change, I'll be sitting behind cousin Rufus' truck until we get to the intersection... since we'll likely be paused at the intersection waiting for the tail of the group. Even as polite as we can be, sometimes Rufus is mad that people passed him, and I don't want him to spit his Copenhagen spew on my boots when he rolls up.

Sooo... being part of a briskly moving group going through these roads is fun, even though we're not going for speed records. Capiche?

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

To help support Liquid's synopsis.......

I'm usually the caboose when joining the hoons (Mike Hailwood I am not). This in no way means that I don't have a fun ride, it means that I ride fun at my own pace. This group of folks are always all smiles when I finally pull up from behind. It sometimes seems like I'm 1/2 a county behind but John pointed out a long time ago that this is a false perception. A couple of minutes of distance can translate to quite a few miles......so it's really no biggie. Once or twice over the years I have egressed the group so they don't have to keep tabs on me. Then it's big smiles at the end of the day because we all arrived safe. Well......the beer helps out with some of the smiles as well......and the cheap tequila maybe.

I'll start meandering over from Knoxville on Thursday....going to visit some TN relatives along the way. Not exactly sure of the route but it will be backroads in north TN somewhere. Will see y'all Friday sometime......

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Has anybody done any camping near Gassville? Im trying to time it so I can be there for some riding on my way to Dallas. Trailering down & thinking I might just stay in my enclosed trailer. Theres a few campgrounds close by but wondering if ones better than the others.
Liquidsilver likes this.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Liquid, thank you for providing that info! I'd like to think I rode sporty about 30 years ago but now I really only need to hit red line in first on this bike (in a straight line), that's about of a rush as I need. I'm good with 5-10 over the posted speed limit with brief forays above when passing. I won't be comfortable dragging pegs or anything. And some of those passing scenarios you mentioned...blind...**** no. Obviously the weather can play a factor especially when the road surfaces transitions wet/dry etc. I take my Comfort zone pretty seriously so I plan on staying within it

I have a poor man's gps rigged up and would definitely like to see if I could load the routes you mentioned. Basecamp practice needs to be on my to do list this weekend.

Boofer, I'll assume I'll be in the middle then and either led or gently guided where I need to go Hmmm Tequila!

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A

Last edited by BigC; 04-02-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gents,

Please try to download the routes at the URL below.

www.tvguys.com/spotserver/2019NoMoSnoRoutes.zip

The .gpx files are in a zip file, so you save it locally and try to import the files into your basecamp. I'm not the guru of route sharing, but I hope it works.

THE FORECAST has been improving, but *IF* the weatherman says our two days are a washout, I'll plan to reschedule our dates. For now, the weather doesn't look too bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page