FJR Owners Forum banner

Cfr 2019!

7K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  RaYzerman 
#1 · (Edited)
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls...

We are going try something a little different this year for CFR as getting to Baie-Comeau will be as much fun as being there.

Thursday June 20th to Sunday June 23rd..

Where is Baie-Comeau?
About half way up the North shore of the St Lawerence.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.3078805, ... 1809,9.25z

Why would I even want to go there?
Quebec Route 389 Baie-Comeau to the Manic 5 Hydro dam (213Km of paved twisties) also Manic 5 is quite the dam.

So what is this about having fun getting there.
Some of the best touring routes in Eastern Canada,
Visit and plan your route through Quebec here
http://www.quebecamoto.com/en
http://www.quebecamoto.com/en

The Plan.
Meet into morning at Tim Hortons
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Tim+Ho ... 68.1910725

Go riding,
Options are
389 North,
138 East along the coast, (there is still about 500 km to the end)
138 West and then the Saguenay Fjord Loop,
South via a ferry to Gaspe

Meet in the evening at the Brew pub (also lot of other bars and restaurants in the area).
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Microb ... 68.1529382

Accommodations.
This is the tricky piece as Baie-Comeau is a very popular destination and there are no available hotel block bookings available.

If you even thinking about coming you need to reserve a room quickly, if you go through Booking.com or another website booking you don't have to commit when making a reservation.

It's about 3km from Tim Hortons in the West to the Brew Pub in the East

Your Closest Options are:
Travelodge, near Tim Hortons - There are 30 rooms blocked off, ask for Maxime..discounted room rate $109.00/night
The Travelodge hotel 418-296-9686 has kindly blocked off 30 rooms for us until the end of April
Call and ask for Maxime, quote CFR 2019..
The room rate is $109.00/night for a room with a double bed....other rooms are available at slightly higher rates.

Motel du Rosier, 500m West of Tim Hortons
Hotel Caravelle, half way between Tim's and the Brew Pub
Le Grand Hôtel, near the brew pub
Hôtel Le Manoir, about 300 m east of the Brew Pub
Further West (~2km)
Comfort Inn Baie-Comeau
Hôtel Motel Hauterive
Hôtel Le Boréal
Gîte La Mère Michèle

See you in June
Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
In addition to Nova Scotia, loop over to the Gaspe Peninsula, and don't forget the Adirondacks of NY (Lake Placid/Saranac Lake, etc. So add a week or so, EH! See ya in Baie Comeau if you make it.

Reactions: Sete Bond
#7 ·
After mapping out routes and evaluating the time I have... I think I can do this! I've made hotel reservations at the Baie-Comeau Travel Lodge for June 20th 21st. I know it's seven months away, but I'm getting excited. I definitely plan on doing the Gaspe Peninsula then to Nova Scotia then working my way back to Ohio. This vacation is going to be great! Merci Beaucoup

#8 ·
Tres bien! The rally registration website will up & running soon. I’ll be there on the 20th..registration is usually late afternoon on the 21st with a meet & greet afterwards. The first ride(s) are usually on the 22nd with a dinner/ awards/ silent auction in the evening.

#10 ·
The motorcycling Quebec link works. I cannot open the Google maps even in a separate tab or window, It just shows my location when I go to it. I tried coping just the coordinates, still doesn't help. Am I the only one? looks like a funtastic ride. Using Chrome.

#13 ·
Same, Google maps shows my location only..... no worries. Several ways to get to Baie Comeau, I think I'm taking a route through eastern Ontario, then up and over to Quebec City, not sure I'll swing by Mont Tremblant or not. Most certainly I will not go into or thru Montreal and on south shore to Quebec City, will be way north of all that.

After CFR, will exit via ferry to Montane (3 hrs), then a healthy 6 hours of riding ziggy zag and will come into Gaspe from the north, will overnight in Perce. Rough draft of route attached, twist my arm if you want to come along. After Perce, I have to make my way somehow (undecided) south and west to Lake Placid NY via all the twisty bits. Been to NS a few times, will skip it this time.

Attachments

Reactions: ice_station_zebra
#14 ·
I'll leave on June 15th...
Winnipeg - Fort Frances - Thunder Bay - Wawa - Timmins - Rouyn-Noranda - Miquelon - Chapais - Sageunay - Sacre-Coeur - Grandes-Bregeronnes - Baie Comeau...and maybe the same way back..maybe go through Ottawa or Toronto.

#15 ·
I'll be interested to hear about the Timmins stretch onward... never been there in the summer, nor did I go east past Val D'Or..... we'll talk about your way back too... WTF you wanna do Tranna for... nope, there's better.

#17 ·
If you really don't have to go to Toronto, can get you to Barrie on back roads, then you have choices for Manitoulin......

#18 ·
yes...it’s all just a question of which friends to visit..the problem is that I lived, and rode, in southern ontario for a long time, so lots of friends sprinkled liberally from Ancaster to Anten Mills and east to Belleville.

#22 ·
For those wanting to explore Hwy. 138 east from Baie Comeau to Kegashka, my friends Gerhard and Cherie made the trip on their R1200RT, then on to Newfoundland... here's the vid.

Reactions: Bob Collings
#26 ·
It must have been up a while ago..... apparently I registered early February. This is going to be one good trip!

#30 ·
#32 ·
CFR usually alternates, east one year, west the next. Last year we were in Nakusp.

#34 ·
Nakusp! That's only about 350km from Kimberley - some really nice roads and scenery (if you like mountains and lakes) in that part of the world. That was a long trek for you (and anyone else from central Ontario or east of there) … but I suppose that's where the FJR being a sport-tourer is important!

#35 ·
Sete, as you say, BC is great riding and the Canadian Rockies are the best. I just made it part of the month long June trip through 10 states and BC. Trailered out, no sense wasting tires. CFR is one of the larger FJR gatherings and where you get to see all the friends you made at the other ones.:grin2::nerd:

#36 ·
Due to work commitments Jeff Griffiths is stepping aside as rally master for CFR 2019..So.....

CFR2019 is now an “un-rally”..no rally fees, no rally master. The T-Shirt design will be available to anyone who wants to get a T-Shirt printed.
The website FJRRally.com will be updated to reflect these changes in the near future, rally registrations should still be made on FJRRally.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.