A ride to Germany August 2014 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

A ride to Germany August 2014

It's that time of year when the FJR likes to clock up a few miles and get out for a run. Starting with a ride down to Folkestone from sunny Devon, through the tunnel, down the Belgium road and into Luxemburg, from there along the Moselle and over to the Rhine, follow that with a back roads ride down through the Black Forest. Heading back via eastern France and a return train to bring us back to English shores. 2,000 merry miles awaiting.

Last couple of days of August and first week of September if anyones interested.
A few castles and car/tech museums to visit along the way, even a wine museum to round things off. Just counting down the days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Sounds great, we did a similar trip 2 years ago (only the other way round), unfortunately we will just be back from France/Picos mouintains in Spain and will be skint and no holiday left....have fun
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 PM
FJR Top Gun

Got back a week ago from a few days chasing cyclists from Le Touquet down to Gerardmer.

Shite weather, hope you get it better than we did.

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Taking a two week tour of Europe in September, but it won't be on two wheels. From some of the videos I've seen, I would probably get myself and someone else killed. I just can't grasp the meaning of all those lines in the streets and traffic going every where. In town driving over there looks crazy.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I know what you mean, went through the centre of Brussels and traffic goes always at once. best bet keep going.###
Over there we try to keep to quieter roads when we can, and stay out of the bigger cities, but the odd Autobahn run can be fun. Unrestricted speed limits.. (Germany that is)
Their normal motorways are good for getting in and out of the main places. but even better following some of the roads along the rivers, bikers heaven.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

Never had a problem riding abroad, have to be a bit careful at junctions as some of their rules are slightly different to ours but just have to be aware. TBH its much the same as at home, good out in the country (better than the UK as its quieter) and manic in towns/cities, some good/considerate drivers, some arseholes....same as everywhere really.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

This is a nice trip. I guess you will attend to some of the local village wine party that occurs along the rivers. There is almost at least every weekend In August and September. I been to Moselle a couple of times and Bernkastel- Kues is a nice stop over. Below is a link to a German site but you can see how many parties there are and when they occur.

Have a nice trip

http://www.die-mosel.de/untermosel/winningen.html

FJR 07
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for the link. We noticed how friendly the people were when we went through last year. Hence why we are going back to enjoy some more.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Well that takes the biscuit. Trip is off due to unforeseen circumstances, mate is starting a new job and they want him to start the week we should have been away. So after all the hotels have been cancelled and the train tunnel deferred to another time, I am hoping to talk my other half into a couple of days in Wales. The Germany trip will happen but is delayed for now. Going out for a ride today to blow away the feeling of depression and clock up a few miles...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Well that takes the biscuit. Trip is off due to unforeseen circumstances, mate is starting a new job and they want him to start the week we should have been away. So after all the hotels have been cancelled and the train tunnel deferred to another time, I am hoping to talk my other half into a couple of days in Wales. The Germany trip will happen but is delayed for now. Going out for a ride today to blow away the feeling of depression and clock up a few miles...
That's a big bummer! Wife and I are just in the UK now on our FJR. We plan heading back over to the continent about that time. Presently in Liverpool till tomorrow and then over to Newcastle on our way into Scotland. We're trying to do a loop through the Uk. The exchange rate is killing us though...not to mention it's vacation time in the UK and everything is either booked or the rates are high. We keep this bike in Heidelberg and it's USA registered. September is planned for visits to friends in Germany.
As for the traffic, without a GPS we'd still be trying to find our way out of London. lol I didn't find driving on the wrong side of the road so bad it's all the intersecting and confusing roads that veer off every which way. The gps had to do some heavy thinking a few times. I know it didn't always take me the best way, but I have to trust it.
Hope you can get back on track soon. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page