A ride to Germany August 2014 - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

London can be a trial, one year I followed signs to a campsite that I could see from the ring road but could not get to it, went round three times before I found the right side road.
We had planned to go through Heidelberg to stay at a Hotel on the Neckar River, but hopefully that trip will be done one day. Did stay in Heidelberg in 1995, its a beautiful city.
I am based down in the West Country (in Devon) the other end of the country from Scotland, but if you decide to come this far south let me know.
I have been talking to a couple of friends to see if they fancy a trip over to Europe with me. Time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

We'll be heading back south in a couple weeks...after all we will be leaving, hopefully through the tunnel. We are hoping to make it over to Ireland on our way down. We don't have a time table, except we want to be back in Germany for September.
If you make it to Heidelberg you might want to check out http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html. I keep my bike at his place. He also runs a Bed and Breakfast. If you stay you'll have full use of his facility to perform any maintenance you might need done. He has tools and lifts for the bikes. I always meet other travelers while there.

John
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

You are definitely getting about, but then that's what the FJR is for.
Had a look at the site, thanks for the link. Good to know of places like that.
How's your trip going ? Across to Ireland as well is amazing, I live here and have not been over there, only been to Scotland 3 times (but might be up there again next year). Most of my exploring has been down in the South West (Devon and Cornwall) and some of Wales. But I can normally only get away a week at a time, to head off for 5 or 6 weeks would be truly outstanding. I do have one mad idea of doing a coast to coast across America but would have to have a lottery win to afford it. Ride Safe.

Last edited by Flint; 08-12-2014 at 02:10 AM.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just taken 2 weeks off work as a bit cheesed off, I have a bit of holiday left to burn up and not been on a tour since I did Scotland end of June so one must be due as im getting the twitch....

After reading the above , although have done various places in Europe I have never done the Mosel and it looks kinda nice. I also fancy one of the German Farmers Omelets , beuen frutstuckz or whatever they call them. Probably end up with a rusty spanner wrapped in frozen lettuce with a chilli garnish if my German is anything to go by.

So just booked train and a first night hotel outside of Namur this Wednesday , stayed there before a few years ago , very nice with garage evening meals ect.

Just going to head there and go for a ride out for five days and take in the Mosel route from the Rhine and toddle off to Luxemburg area and then toddle off somewhere else from there. I may take a ride up to the Dam up in the Eifel National Park for a cuppa and a smoke first though before I head down.

As they say , `The worlds your lobster sunshine`

Better get the bike ready I guess so lets see where i end up as I am far to random for planning to much of an itinerary.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

The Mosel is lovely, could probably combine it with the Rhine area and the Ardennes which are also nice
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 AM
FJR Top Gun

Ardennes is nice this time of year as the tourists thin out a lot when August ends.

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Well made it back ok
Started off Wednesday morning after a 10min ride to the chunnel. Then headed to Lille then cut off the E42 onto the back N roads and across to Namur. Next day up to the Eifel National Park area for a full day of riding. I forgot how nice it was up there but better was to come.

Went off to Bonn to meet the Rhine then down the Mosel River with a stop outside Cochem. Continued the mosel wine route then down into France. Then next few days crossing into Luxemburg,Germany,Belgium and France until today when it was time to end play.

A perfect random ride out for a few days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Met up with a couple of guys from Germany and spent a fun couple of hours after being invited to join in there usual Sunday morning ride and food stop while filling up at a fuel station. Local knowledge and all that was great route.

So just de crapping the bike then getting some propper food with lard.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

I am ENVIOUS
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
Got back a week ago from a few days chasing cyclists from Le Touquet down to Gerardmer.

Shite weather, hope you get it better than we did.
That's really odd, it's been roasting hot here in north-west France for the last 4-5 weeks, up to 35 C some days, hardly any rain at all.
Usually if there's any rain about we get it!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi Barnstormer
I kinda tagged this on the end of an old on going post about the Mosel area.

Marshmans post about the weather was back in July but I had 6 good days of weather apart from a couple of misty mornings it was perfect riding weather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page