The lighter side of life, laughter - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

The lighter side of life, laughter

I'm sure we all have had or seen some wide variety of occurances throughout our careers. I would love to here from anyone with a good gut renching yarn, step up one and all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm not sure this fits the motorcycle theme, but maybe it works for wrenching.

Many years ago I had a Dodge pickup with radio only. I installed a radio with a CD player and went to set the time. I quickly found how to set the hours and minutes, but it said 2:00 AM. I couldn't, for the life of me, find the setting for AM/PM. So I finally gave up and started setting up my stations, and when I started setting my favorite stations, the time changed to 2:00 FM.
2014oldred and YodiYami like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:10 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
I'm sure we all have had or seen some wide variety of occurances throughout our careers. I would love to here from anyone with a good gut renching yarn, step up one and all
At the dealership where I worked as a mechanic, sometimes we would bug each other by "sabotaging" the customer's car in some minor way that could not be ignored, before the customer got their car back. A guy might mis-align all the mirrors for you, run the seat full forward, or (if the car is on a frame lift), remove a valve stem core. Maybe a few drops of engine oil on the windshield, or setting the A/C full on in winter, and "losing" the A/C knob in the car. Silly stuff, mostly, and it made everybody grin.

One day, a mechanic came by to "visit" as I worked, and he did all the mirrors for me. When he went back to his work bay, I walked back with him, and he knew it would be his turn to get it. The hood of his car was open, so I reached in, popped the top of the windshield washer tank, and spit into the washer tank. The guy was completely grossed out; he had never imagined this stunt. He did not know if he should do something about this, or even what to do. The look on the guy's face was priceless. The whole place was cracking up laughing.

He came around the car and just shook my hand, smiling. "I can't top that'" he told me.

BTW, later he just overfilled (and overflowed) the washer tank, to reverse my "mischief."
Tristar500 likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 09-07-2018 at 12:27 PM.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You had to be there otherwise the timing isn't right......
Mr_Ed likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
You had to be there otherwise the timing isn't right......
And video .... needs video

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

My contribution, in my younger years, I rode a yamy xt500, I liked going up hills with a free friends all had different bikes, one in particular was a yamy D something 360, 2 stroke, he took off up the Hill Climb and only got about half way before the nearly stalls, he hit the brakes and pulled the clutch in in time for the engine kept running, only thing is this particular model would run backwards, so he revs it up and drops the clutch, well this thing took off backwards Down hill, he's baled off and the bike kept going straight into the crowd at the bottom, didn't hit anyone but ran into the farmers fence, but the look on his face was priceless
Bernie and YodiYami like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
And video .... needs video
Mr. Ed,

You must be kidding. Back then, a video camera weighed 10~20 pounds, and using a tripod would have been good. Anyway, this was not an event that anybody could have planned to record on video.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A story from Rhodesia 1970.
Our house in Salisbury was on a 3 acre block, and my dad had built a couple of cottages on it which he rented out. One of the cottages had a couple with a young son, 4 years old, living in it. The boy absolutely loved my motorcycle, and every time he heard the motor, he would rush out and demand to be taken for a ride.

I would lift him onto the tank in front of me, and he would put his feet on top of the engine, which was wider than the tank, and his hands on the handle bars inside mine. I would then whisk him for a ride around the block. Pretty soon, he was demanding to steer the bike, so I would let go of the handle bars and allow him to steer. Of course he wasn't really steering, he was too light, I was actually directing the bike by shifting my weight.

One day, we were all at home, and my dad who had ridden bikes for years in the past, finally asked me for a ride on my 750, I was surprised it had taken him so long, and I readily agreed. Dad went out and started the bike, and I was showing him the features, when of course the boy came rushing over for a ride. Dad was quite used to giving rides to kids, so he lifted the boy onto the tank, and off he went.

About 10 minutes later, they were back, but something was wrong. My dad was all white and trembling, and could hardly talk. I finally got the story out of him.

He had just got out onto a straight piece of road, and was taking it easy in third gear as he got a feel for the bike, when the boy demanded to steer. Dad knew that I often took the boy for a ride, so he assumed the boy knew what to do, and relinquished the bars to his control. Unbeknown to both of us, the boy had been watching how I controlled the throttle, and he chose this moment to have his first go. He took hold of the twist grip, and reefed it around to the end stop.

The powerful bike, in a low gear, leapt forward like a scalded cat. Dad, who had nothing to hang onto, flopped onto his back on the back seat, with his head banging on the tail light. The enormous acceleration kept him pinned there, and the bike rushed up to nearly 100 Mph. Eventually, the engine reached peak revs, and the acceleration died away, and dad was able to struggle upright into the blasting wind pressure, and wrest control back from the boy.

While all this was going on, the bike stayed straight and true on the road, the road stayed straight and long enough, and no other vehicles appeared to join in the fun. It could only have been a miracle that they were both still alive. The boy was almost screaming with delight, he had had the time of his life and wanted to do it again, but mum got wind of this adventure, and he was banned for life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda750.jpg (129.1 KB, 47 views)

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Mr. Ed,

You must be kidding. Back then, a video camera weighed 10~20 pounds, and using a tripod would have been good. Anyway, this was not an event that anybody could have planned to record on video.
Oh. Right. And you'd have to have the film developed and watch it with a projector.
RaYzerman and Scott_H like this.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page