hunters among us? - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
poprivit, one major thing that keeps me from going to Africa is the fact that I can't bring any meat back home. My primary reason to hunt is to put meat in the freezer.
Good point. The first deer I got as an adult fed my family of 4 for the winter wrt protein. We were in tight times and even got some government cheese at one point. Caliber then? 30-06. Caliber (for now)? .308. The various factory match ammo gets twitchy at around 750 meters with the POI being all over the place no matter what I do at the other end of the range. Quartering winds in the 12-20 mph range and the targets at a slight downhill slope with the terrain being varying which creates different speed and directions of cross winds along the way. Moved to a 185gr Berger Juggernaut and got back on target.

Model 700 stainless 5r 20" bbl.
Started from factory with an HS Precision stock that I added CDI Precision bottom metal (AICS mag compatible), a Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50 mildot scope, and a Rugged Razor 762 suppressor.

With this being one of my early range visits after the can was added.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/gu...00Razor762.mp4

Then I swapped the good stuff into a KRG Whiskey 3 (Gen 6) chassis, a Timney Calvin Elite trigger, an Atlas PRS bipod, and the scope shade extension. This Timney trigger may be the best trigger I've ever experienced. My P415 was out at a Gerlachfest and several got to shoot it. Super-crisp 4.5 lb trigger with little over travel and only some slight (no-pressure) take up. This TCA is at a measured (average) of 1lb 2 oz with a first stage that is all resistanceless take up to "the wall", then a crisp release and no over travel. Verah nize. I'm trying to drill into myself that I don't need to wrap my thumb around the "pistol grip" of the stock; resting along the same-side so there's little input to push the round off line.

This was my range qualifier to go to the longer distance range (250-1000). The hand-edit was because I was new to the phone app software and didn't flag all 4 rounds before saving it.

MOA or less at 100, then 200. Then out on the big boy range. I've had some people tell me that Remington's QC has declined in recent years but mine seems fine. On the longer range, I was out to 750 yards with the Range Officer being my spotter. 1 shot, 1 hit out to 500 where he wanted me to do 5 consecutive hits. 1 for 1 and on to 550-750. From 550-700 it was again 1 shot 1 hit. Then at 750 things fell apart. Same hold would have a POI to the left, then right, then low, then high on the target. We concluded that the 308 in 168/175 variations of factory "match" ammo was going transonic and losing stability. Switched to the Hornady 185Gr Berger Juggernaut and I was again consistently ringing steel. Time ran out for me that day but the next trip will be 800 - max. After that, I don't need an RO watching as closely. They want to assure that their customers know what they are doing.

What I didn't tell them was that, since my background it hunting, I'm still not fast on adjusting turrets and counting clicks. I had done that session all doing mildot hold overs.

My dope sheet that needs some additional visits transcribed into it from my pen/paper notepad.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 07-18-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Deer, hogs, turkeys, coyotes ,bobcats, and gators are all huntable in Fla..maybe even black bears and pumas, but I'd have to check the regs on those last 2
black bear yes but it’s like 20-40 slots and a lotto system. I stick to hog and ducks. Deer is too strict to hunt.

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Well - I like the big stuff. Cape Buffalo
Taken on the Okavango Delta in Botswana with a Ruger .416
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000934.jpg (77.9 KB, 5 views)
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:40 AM
FJR Top Gun

I had been shopping for land to retire and ride dirtbike out of my garage for past 8 years. Made an offer in October. Closed January 2, 2019.

A friend who does not ride asked and got permission to hunt my land. Then he did this within a few minutes of turkey season opening:

Mandatory FJR content: This is me on what is going to be my driveway (note my superior stability due to tapered steering stem bearings ):

And another friend parked next to my future driveway:

bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Now thatís a beautiful gobbler N4HHE
N4HHE likes this.

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:44 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicywolf View Post
Now thatís a beautiful gobbler N4HHE
Knew there were some big ones out there but was still shocked when Randy sent me that picture of his morningís success.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page