How to address marital controversy. - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 05:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I hadn't had a bike for a few years when my wife said, "i think it is time you got another motorcycle". That was when I knew for sure I found the right one. We have been together for 42 years and 9 bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

My wife & I have been married for 37 lovely years. One of the most important items we had to agree upon was that neither of us ever told the either what we 'couldn't' do- that would likely have been the end of our relationship.

When I was a flatfoot, she would've preferred I didn't work the road on mids in the 'hood but that's where I loved to work. I didn't like that she worked in the worst part of a neighboring city as a nurse. But we never stood in each other's way as it made us happy to do what we wanted and how we wanted.

My riding was part of that equation too, especially since I have never been w/out a bike since I was 17 (and I'm 59+ now.) When we were very young, she would ride, but reluctantly. She never really liked it. By the time our first was born, she was done getting on the back of the bike & I've long since adapted. Actually, I have generally preferred riding by myself.

That was until recently when my daughter started riding w/me, which I very much enjoy & was the motivation to buy the FJR. She's a great, natural riding partner, she loves it and at 16, I don't have long before she vectors off otherwise to other interests, aka boys.
Lee
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Havenít heard from Snuffy above in a while,,anyone know if heís still breathing after his wifeís wedding present ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I suspect it was a long hospital stay and they couldn't totally rebuild him.............

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 10:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
The solution is to marry a woman that likes to ride. When you see a bike you like she says buy it and she writes the check. When she sees a bike she likes she writes a check. Before you know it she has more bikes than you do. Spousal Unit... five new BMWs and a Ural in 11 years..... itís a good hurt.
If someone says (idk let me ask THE BOSS). I make different plans. They either don't want to go, or are to much of a candy ass for me
ice_station_zebra and cra-z1 like this.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 11:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
If someone says (idk let me ask THE BOSS). I make different plans. They either don't want to go, or are to much of a candy ass for me
I used to ride with a friend / neighbor who I really enjoyed riding with, but every danged time we planned a trip he'd wind up backing out for some wife-related reason. Frustrating!

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
I think the same thing when someone says that BS about "If Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy." I have no problems asking them if their wide is 4 and can't accept that she will not always get her way yet will make the lives of everyone around her miserable if she doesn't.

When the saying's meaning is pointed out, ain't no one happy for sure.

Quote:
The solution is to marry a woman that likes to ride.

Or pick/be a spouse that is wise enough to understand that 2 people will have some of the same interests and some that are unique; allowing each of you to follow your passions.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 03-15-2020 at 10:15 AM.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Of pick a wife that is wise enough to understand that 2 people will have some of the same interests and some that are unique; allowing each of you to follow your passions.
Well said.

My wife has recently joined a women-only group of RVers and leaves me home a few times a year to go on their campouts. I tease her about it, but I secretly celebrate that RVing is now taking up less of my motorcycle time. Fact is, she's never begrudged me going off for a week or two at a time with my motorcycle buddies.
bounce and RaYzerman like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always say two married (or unmarried) people should never be joined at the hip and each needs their alone time and own space.... so you're at home retired... how many have wished their spouse won't retire any time soon....
bounce and Full House like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Well said.

My wife has recently joined a women-only group of RVers and leaves me home a few times a year to go on their campouts. I tease her about it, but I secretly celebrate that RVing is now taking up less of my motorcycle time. Fact is, she's never begrudged me going off for a week or two at a time with my motorcycle buddies.
I kinda have the same thing going except its a big boat. When we left Minnesota(land of 10,000 lakes) she said she would never own another boat. Well that changed when our friends wanted to sell theirs. Lucky she still has to work for another 5 years. So I get to go on my trips during the week while she works but try to be back for boating on the week ends. She enjoys sleeping on it, me not so much. Now if I can only get her to be comfortable taking it in and out of the slip on her own.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page