How to address marital controversy. - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I"m fairly new to riding after a 25 year hiatus. When I started talking to my wife about getting a bike and all the reasons why I should have one (mostly commuting), she asked " is this a done deal"? I said yes. She said "then buy the effing thing and stop bothering me".
6 years and 130,000 miles later she still asks me "don't you have a ride this weekend". She rode on the back of the bike once for about 15 minutes and decided it's not for her but is totally behind my riding and taking off for a couple of weeks each year to go on a ride. She helps me organize my stuff, buys my road food and makes sure I bring enough warm clothes if the weather is iffy. I think she sees how important riding is to my life.
Sounds suspicious to me.......

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Sounds suspicious to me.......
Wife is a massage therapist and works out of the house. There are naked people, men and women, around every day. If she wanted some fresh meat, she has plenty to chose from.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When my wife said "you weren't even listening to me, were you?", I thought "that's a strange way to start a conversation".

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm in the doghouse. I forgot our 27th wedding anniversary and a present for her. Finally, got the wife to talk to me and she demanded, " Snuffy when I get up in the morning there had better be...SOMETHING THAT GOES FROM 0 to 200 IN MY DRIVEWAY"! After some thought, I got the bathroom scale and placed in the driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
We rode when dating. Had a KZ1100 with clip-ons and rear sets, so she had a great view. I sold it just before we started having kids as I wasn't riding it much. Bicycles had closer parking on campus. Got my '05 FJR in October '14 after my youngest graduated from high school, and while my wife was helping our daughter with our first granddaughter. She didn't show any interest in riding again. I got her to ride for 15 minutes around the neighborhood. She told me not to buy her a jacket because she wasn't going to ride. I later offered to switch to a Wing if she'd ride with me. She then explained that she isn't interested in wearing a heavy jacket in the summer while having a hot flash. So I've made my peace, waiting for the hot flashes to fade away.

She also doesn't like being left out/behind. She doesn't feel bad about me helping at charity events without her, so I help at charity bicycle rides - American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure, MS rides, and others. That gets me a day mostly riding. And I get to commute on the FJR. She's also fine with me doing an Iron Butt, so that is another opportunity.

After riding again for a year, I hit a patch of unmarked gravel in an unmarked construction zone while turning. High sided, landing on my head and shoulder. Broke my collarbone and several ribs. Minor concussion. Asked her if she wanted me to stop riding. She said no, as long as I keep my life insurance up.

My dream is to retire with a "pusher" RV, with a lift/platform on the back for an FJR or Gold Wing, and a hitch to tow a car. Or pull a toy box that holds both.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5786r View Post
Funny how men look for a woman and want her to stay exactly as she is. Most of the women I met were looking for a man they expected to change.
Lots of truth to this statement. Which begs to ask. "Why is it that way?"

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun)

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Not being allowed by a spouse just means your spouse thinks they're your parent, you're a child, and you can't decide for yourself. Cant respect either a guy or woman for putting up with that.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefree View Post
Not being allowed by a spouse just means your spouse thinks they're your parent, you're a child, and you can't decide for yourself. Cant respect either a guy or woman for putting up with that.
The solution is to marry a woman that likes to ride. When you see a bike you like she says buy it and she writes the check. When she sees a bike she likes she writes a check. Before you know it she has more bikes than you do. Spousal Unit... five new BMWs and a Ural in 11 years..... it’s a good hurt.
Sete Bond likes this.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefree View Post
I had ridden my bike to the supermarket and was putting my helmet in the topcase before going in the store. A lady walks up to me and asked "Are you married?". I replied "Yes". She said "I would not allow my husband to ride a motorcycle." I replied "I am surprised you are married." She walked away pissed.

My wife does not ride or ride with me. She just does not enjoy it. She lets me enjoy my motorcycle and is okay with me doing long distance multi-day rides. I did get a SPOT device so she can track me on her phone. I was riding before I met her, so it was already the status quo.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #50 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

I know this is an old thread, recently revived. I read every post … all interesting, many heartwarming, and a few absolutely hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page