Anyone travel with a police Scanner? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Anyone travel with a police Scanner?

Just got one for Christmas (desk model)...I'm enjoying listening to all the police....I just wonder if a handheld unit for my bike wouldn't give me a BIG ONE UP on reducing the chances of getting caught speeding.

"A deep unwavering belief is a sure sign you're missing something..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Check local laws and make sure it's legal to carry a scanner on your vehicle. In some jurisdictions it's definitely a no-no.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

who cares about the sticking law...everything is against the law, it's impossible to obey them all, so why even try. I think it's still against the law to spit on the sidewalk. And as I've stated in here before. Do what you have to do to protect yourself from being stopped by the collectors (police) and if you get stopped, ADMIT NOTHING AND SAY NOTHING, accept the ticket, contact a lawyer in that county, send him the money to get your out of it and go about your business..Plus, if it makes you feel any better, I'll have the scanner concealed in the fairing. The collectors have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only was it turned on, but your were listening to it..Which is an impossible task.

Now back to the question which is: Do police scanners give you a 1-up on avoiding speed traps, etc?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

No...scanners are for the most part cheap entertainment for people who are totally bored and are trying to eke out some sort of vicarious excitement via the airwaves. Truth be told, most up-to-date police agencies transmit over a frequency that is encypted. What you may be hearing are the meter maids and Animal Control officers.

Scanners do little to help you avoid trafic citations.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmemfg
What you may be hearing are the meter maids and Animal Control officers.

Scanners do little to help you avoid trafic citations.
Well, in that case, the meter maids are responding to 7-11 robbery attempt and Animal Control must be who's giving chase after the two armed men who's car matches the description of the getaway vehicle..

You Floridians are a gullible bunch...Pleaae don't vote in 08.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcruiser
if it makes you feel any better, I'll........
It's rare that anything you do or say makes me feel better.

wheaton likes this.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcruiser
who cares about the sticking law...everything is against the law, it's impossible to obey them all, so why even try.
you've heard that suicide is against the law. right?
wheaton and cra-z1 like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

starcruiser wrote:

who cares about the sticking law...everything is against the law, it's impossible to obey them all, so why even try.

So Starcruiser, you'll be ok when some cager who is high on drugs and drink crashes into you? Or maybe it's ok because there is no point trying to obey any of the laws?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

As I said MANY (not all) technolgically advanced law enforcement agencies encrypt transmissions for myriad reasons, among which are to keep their communications secure. For example, seldom is it a good idea for a SWAT team's presence to be made known to the occupants of a house about to be served with a search warrant beacuse of their handy scanner..police really hate that.
Ergo, many (not all) such channels are scrambled. But say, Starcruiser, seeing how you obviously hold the police in such low esteem, why would you be interested in anything they're doing that does not involve you and the potential for geting a ticket??
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Farkle Trainee

BTW...I never miss an election. We even elected a gen-yoo-ine Texan, John Ellis (Jeb) Bush for governor..Twice no less!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page