New to me FJR owner here - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thumbs up New to me FJR owner here

Just wanted to check in on the site as a new to me FJR owner. Picked up a nice 03 with 33,000 miles on it a few weeks ago. To say I got a really good deal would be an understatement. Been off the street for a good 10 years, played in the dirt during that time. I've always admired the FJR's from afar, so when the chance came up to score this bike for next to nothing I jumped on it.

I found a lot of the technical info on this bike that will come in handy, like making sure all the proper things are lubed etc..

Would like to invest in a trunk for it at some point. Also and certainly not at the top of my list but I find the look a bit boring, would have preferred one of the blue ones but ill took what I could get. With that said does anyone have good pics of custom graphics or paint? I'm not looking for anything to crazy maybe just something subtle. Something similar to the bike on the FJR owners Facebook page.

Of course there is the dreaded "tick" question. I've done enough research to know that I need to pull the exhaust off and look for oil leaking out the exhaust valve. IS this correct? I don't have oil coming out of the back of the exhaust pipe at all. I didn't really notice the tick until I pulled it inside my garage without my helmet on, its only noisy around idle then goes away with a little more rpm. I know this has been beat to death in the past so unless something comes up Im just gong to maintain and ride the bike properly.

Cheers

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There are ticks and there are ticks. The valve tick you are talking about to my knowledge didn't affect the '03's, just certain '04's and '05's. I suspect the tick you're hearing is a fuel injector tick which is completely normal.

However, if you don't know the history (when the last valve check was, who did it or what the gaps were), it is possible someone re-shimmed and you have a larger gap on a valve, etc.

I'm thinking if you had a valve seal leaking, you'd see blue smoke as you decelerate from speed (throttle off, vacuum high), then puff right as you roll on hard throttle. Have someone follow you to find out. Bit of a job to remove the headers.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum - and the Happy Land of FJR Ownership.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and track down the original owner to see what the service history was like. The guy I bought it from only had it for a year and put 1000 miles on it. He said he wasn't very mechanically inclined, to the point of having a dealer change the oil. I'm the opposite, as I would rather do it myself if I have the right tools.

I'm not going to worry about the ticking I hear unless it changes or gets worse, I just want to ride. 😀😀

Anyone here have an issue getting there lady friends who are scarred of bikes to get on the back? I didn't buy it for two ups necessarily but it would be nice to get her on the back from time to time. Her mom broke her leg on a bike and her HS boyfriend had a sport bike she used to hang off the back of, this is the reasons she is afraid, so she says.

Cheers
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hi guys - whoops. In dealing with a bunch of spam while on my iPad I inadvertently banned Benhameen . My apologies to Ben - we are reinstating him and he will be back soon

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1300 View Post
Hi guys - whoops. In dealing with a bunch of spam while on my iPad I inadvertently banned Benhameen . My apologies to Ben - we are reinstating him and he will be back soon
Oops! I hate it when I do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhameen View Post
Anyone here have an issue getting there lady friends who are scarred of bikes to get on the back? I didn't buy it for two ups necessarily but it would be nice to get her on the back from time to time. Her mom broke her leg on a bike and her HS boyfriend had a sport bike she used to hang off the back of, this is the reasons she is afraid, so she says.

Cheers
I gave up long ago trying to get my wife on a bike. If fact, when I bought the FJR I never considered her comfort for a second. Besides, why would I want to hear carp like, "you know? You could be painting the spare bedroom instead riding today..."

Russ
2007A

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Maybe I should start a new topic but I had an issue yesterday and need a little help.

Maybe you guys can shed some light on a problem I had yesterday. Just bought a pair of boots for the street, first pair. Problem is I couldn't shift the bike past 2nd gear with them on. I cant imagine that all of a sudden the bike has an issue, could be of course, but seems more likely that its me and the boots that are not getting along well. Anyone else have this type of issue with new boots?

Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhameen View Post
Maybe I should start a new topic but I had an issue yesterday and need a little help.

Maybe you guys can shed some light on a problem I had yesterday. Just bought a pair of boots for the street, first pair. Problem is I couldn't shift the bike past 2nd gear with them on. I cant imagine that all of a sudden the bike has an issue, could be of course, but seems more likely that its me and the boots that are not getting along well. Anyone else have this type of issue with new boots?

Thanks
Hear of it all the time, you're not the first. Usually it's b/c the new boots don't allow the shift lever to spring back to it's center (relaxed) position. Then you can't shift up to 3rd.

Adjust your shift lever up or down as needed, that'll solve it.
Benhameen likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Hear of it all the time, you're not the first. Usually it's b/c the new boots don't allow the shift lever to spring back to it's center (relaxed) position. Then you can't shift up to 3rd.

Adjust your shift lever up or down as needed, that'll solve it.
Great thanks man.

Kind of assumed it was something of this nature. I'll fix it tonight.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yep - as noted above. If you don't want to adjust the shift lever just be very careful to make sure you allow the lever to fully return to its 'rest' position by moving your boot fully away (down). Be careful not to force any charges involving 2nd gear as this is the 'gear' most easily damaged.
Benhameen likes this.

IBA 21684

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page